CHP Crackdown Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
Originally Posted by iLoqin
"Driving while using a hands-free device is not safer than using a hand held cell phone, as concluded by case-crossover studies.[2][3] epidemiological,[4][5] simulation,[7] and meta-analysis[9][10]. The increased "cognitive workload" involved in holding a conversation, not the use of hands, causes the increased risk.[13][14][15] One notable exception to that conclusion is a study by headset manufacturer Plantronics, which found 71 percent of the test subjects steered more accurately, 100 percent had faster brake reaction times, and 92 percent maintained a more consistent speed when using a headset versus handheld.[16] The consistency of increased crash risk between hands-free and hand held cell phone use is at odds with legislation in many locations that prohibits hand held cell phone use but allows hands-free. Dialing a cell phone is more distracting than talking on a cell phone, [17] and hands-free devices that offer voice-dialing may reduce or eliminate that increased risk."
+1

yeah i don't really see how the actual act of holding the phone is the problem. i think lots of people already can normally drive with just one hand. i bet the hands-free law was pushed by motorola, plantronics, etc. it was right before father's day i remember, and guess what the most popular father's day gift was last year? cell phone wireless headsets! probably... money in the bank
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I would much rather have the CHP ticketing people for cell phone talking (and driving like idiots) than "10 over the speed limit".

Realistically, it seems that someone NOT distracted with a cell phone driving 75mph is way safer than someone doing 50 in the fast lane yapping on their phone.

Sure, speed kills (45 is safer than 55, 35 is safer than 45, 0 is safer than 35...), but distraction probably kills more.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Talk about months behind. This "crackdown" should have happened before the new year. Unenforced/unenforcable laws need to go away.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
Actually dude, it is illegal to eat, talk on the phone, text, read, and/or put on makeup while behind the wheel...they don't enforce the eating one, but you better be damn sure if your reading a paper as you drive, and a CHP spots it, your getting a ticket.
I'm not finding anything confirming that. In fact, everything I'm coming across says the opposite. Mind providing a source of some kind?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
last I heard the ticket after fees and such work out to a bit over a 100 bucks.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I'm not finding anything confirming that. In fact, everything I'm coming across says the opposite. Mind providing a source of some kind?
Look under Article 1, 23103, reckless driving. Section A states...

(a) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving

A officer could with ease state if you were reading while driving, you were a willful hazard to others.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
When I took my dl test it was vague in the way it spoke of food eating etc but stated anything that impairs a driver is illegal and pretty much has always been at discretion of the officer.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
DARN! I was so enjoying driving while using my laptop to surf the web from my iphone's bridged 3G connection while sipping my grande iced mocha latte frappamochachinolatte, pleasuring my mouth with a bagel and having a skype video conference call with my gay german businesspartner/lover.

Damn CHP ruining my morning productivity quotient.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by manhands
DARN! I was so enjoying driving while using my laptop to surf the web from my iphone's bridged 3G connection while sipping my grande iced mocha latte frappamochachinolatte, pleasuring my mouth with a bagel and having a skype video conference call with my gay german businesspartner/lover.

thanks dude i needed that.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
Look under Article 1, 23103, reckless driving. Section A states...

(a) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving

A officer could with ease state if you were reading while driving, you were a willful hazard to others.
Interesting. I've never heard it described as "reading something while driving is illegal because of the reckless driving law." That seems like a pretty broad application of the law, doesn't it?

Perhaps one of the many law enforcement officers that visit this site can give us some input?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
What about sneezing? I mean when you sneeze you can't see ****. And what if you have allergies and drive by an open meadow!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Interesting. I've never heard it described as "reading something while driving is illegal because of the reckless driving law." That seems like a pretty broad application of the law, doesn't it?

Perhaps one of the many law enforcement officers that visit this site can give us some input?
So long as they can prove "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" they can charge you with it, its a very broad brush meant to give the officer latitude in how he uses it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
Originally Posted by ruehl
What about sneezing? I mean when you sneeze you can't see ****. And what if you have allergies and drive by an open meadow!
I'll tell you, it's some scary **** to have an allergic fit while driving. I've only had to pull over once due to it but it is completely incapacitating. You'll be freaking out over it before any cop will be up your *** about driving while it's happening to you.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by manhands

Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
cops should crack themselves down, i see cops on the ****ing phone all the time!

Quick Reply: CHP Crackdown Today