CHP Crackdown Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by Overbear
Lighten up Francis.
you obviously don't know me. Some things just aren't funny. Have some tact.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
CHP out looking for moar revenue today
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Thank you for the real headline....
+1 for fat box
Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by johndabrit
You know what else isn't funny? British people.

Ahhh ****, that's a lie. British people are hilarious!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM

My decision to talk or not talk on a cell phone while driving is purely based on the situation. If I feel it can be done safely, then I'll do it. If not, then I don't. In general, I don't like talking while driving on surface streets in urban or suburban environments.

That being said, I also don't like my decisions of safety being made for me.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
tact is for people who are too caught up in being PC, to be themselves.

Idiots taking themselves out, and winning a Darwin award is always funny. It helps clean up the gean pool (that IMHO needs a good cleanup right now)
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Car Info: .
"What would you say ya do here?, CHP?"

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
My decision to talk or not talk on a cell phone while driving is purely based on the situation. If I feel it can be done safely, then I'll do it. If not, then I don't. In general, I don't like talking while driving on surface streets in urban or suburban environments.

That being said, I also don't like my decisions of safety being made for me.
The big problem is this, your decision to talk on your phone, puts OTHERS in danger, and that you don't have a right to do. The science is sound, it is not safe to do, in fact recent studies have shown a person talking on a cellphone has the same affect as someone at a BAC of 1.0...I would say the law isn't aimed at "safety" for you, but for everyone around you.

That said, for the most part I agree with you people should be able to decide what is "safe" for themselves. I disagree with seatbelt laws, helmet laws, and such.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM

The big problem is this, your decision to talk on your phone, puts OTHERS in danger, and that you don't have a right to do. The science is sound, it is not safe to do, in fact recent studies have shown a person talking on a cellphone has the same affect as someone at a BAC of 1.0...I would say the law isn't aimed at "safety" for you, but for everyone around you.

That said, for the most part I agree with you people should be able to decide what is "safe" for themselves. I disagree with seatbelt laws, helmet laws, and such.
Let's keep that highlighted part in mind here: you and I basically agree. Having said that...

I understand that they claim the law is for the safety of others. But do I believe that? Not for a second. If they really cared about driver safety and attentiveness, they would have made a law that says you cannot engage in an activity that detracts from your ability to pay attention to the road. So, no talking on a cell phone, no texting, no reading a newspaper, no eating, no putting on make up, etc. But they didn't do that -- and I'm guessing it's because they see a higher possibility for revenue relating to mobile phone laws. This is, of course, all pure conjecture on my part.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Da Brit.

tact is for people who are too caught up in being PC, to be themselves.

Idiots taking themselves out, and winning a Darwin award is always funny. It helps clean up the gean pool (that IMHO needs a good cleanup right now)
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
"What would you say ya do here?, CHP?"

"Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work."

haha
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Let's keep that highlighted part in mind here: you and I basically agree. Having said that...

I understand that they claim the law is for the safety of others. But do I believe that? Not for a second. If they really cared about driver safety and attentiveness, they would have made a law that says you cannot engage in an activity that detracts from your ability to pay attention to the road. So, no talking on a cell phone, no texting, no reading a newspaper, no eating, no putting on make up, etc. But they didn't do that -- and I'm guessing it's because they see a higher possibility for revenue relating to mobile phone laws. This is, of course, all pure conjecture on my part.
Actually dude, it is illegal to eat, talk on the phone, text, read, and/or put on makeup while behind the wheel...they don't enforce the eating one, but you better be damn sure if your reading a paper as you drive, and a CHP spots it, your getting a ticket.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Grow up kid, when your old enough to have an adult conversation let me know.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Car Info: bici putas
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
CHP out looking for moar revenue today
At what, $20 a car? I don't think so.

I totally agree with the cell phone law, and I talk on my cell phone while driving. I also pay attention to the ****ing road, so when I see a CHP it's well before they can get all christmas tree.

CA really should have made the fine the same as doing 20mph over. $400 for talking on the phone would get folks' attention quiick
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Car Info: Nadda
"Driving while using a hands-free device is not safer than using a hand held cell phone, as concluded by case-crossover studies.[2][3] epidemiological,[4][5] simulation,[7] and meta-analysis[9][10]. The increased "cognitive workload" involved in holding a conversation, not the use of hands, causes the increased risk.[13][14][15] One notable exception to that conclusion is a study by headset manufacturer Plantronics, which found 71 percent of the test subjects steered more accurately, 100 percent had faster brake reaction times, and 92 percent maintained a more consistent speed when using a headset versus handheld.[16] The consistency of increased crash risk between hands-free and hand held cell phone use is at odds with legislation in many locations that prohibits hand held cell phone use but allows hands-free. Dialing a cell phone is more distracting than talking on a cell phone, [17] and hands-free devices that offer voice-dialing may reduce or eliminate that increased risk."
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Da Brit.

Grow up kid, when you're old enough to have an adult conversation let me know.
-Fixed-

Quick Reply: CHP Crackdown Today