check out http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/ who is planning on going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
Talking check out http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/ who is planning on going?

I'm trying to round up a couple of WRC fans to head down w/ me.

Who else is planning on driving down?

here is the link: http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/

JIM
Old 04-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
I'm there
Old 04-20-2004, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I'm there too
Old 04-20-2004, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
Not this time. Never again. Especially since they are offering less and asking for more this year.
Shuttles? I have to wait for the bus now? Which means I can't come and go as I please. Why don't I drive? Oh that's right. Damn CHP will tow your car away and strand you. And what's with all the different admission fees?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
Originally posted by bemani
Not this time. Never again. Especially since they are offering less and asking for more this year.
Shuttles? I have to wait for the bus now? Which means I can't come and go as I please. Why don't I drive? Oh that's right. Damn CHP will tow your car away and strand you. And what's with all the different admission fees?
Damn man. I guess something bad happened last year? Do tell.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Damn, I didnt realizer it's a car show too! With 14 Subaru categories no less!!!

"If you're an import car fan the place to be on Saturday, May 8 is the New Antelope Valley Fairgrounds in Lancaster, California. The Rim of the World Rally is hosting the first ever Mitsubishi vs Subaru Nose2Nose Shootout and Car Show. The Car Show is open to all makes and includes all the classes listed in the graphic above."

"You'll enjoy a action packed day of activities and fun at the Fairgrounds. Full pit access allows you to watch the teams repair their cars in front of you in the service area. Then, rally teams will race side-by-side on the super special stage -- three time through the day! Put some time in behind the wheel yourself with the radio controlled rally cars or drive the challenging Subaru Rally Simulator. Stroll through the 30,000 sq. ft. Rally Expo. See the Subaru Girls, displays, and the hottest products from SoCals' best speed and custom suppliers and manufactures. You'll know what's happening every minute as "Rim Rally Radio", the event's FM radio station, broadcasts scores, interviews, and music throughout the day."

That deserves a :banana:
Old 04-20-2004, 09:12 PM

Car Info: Silver WRX wagon
Last year it rained. A lot of stages were cancelled. I waited 2 hours in fog, wind and horizontal rain for a stage that never happened. Told my son, "you know how your Mother says you don't know the meaning of misery. Well now you do!"

Because of the rain, the access road up to the spectator area became closed. This after a truck broke an axle and blocked it.

Consequently everyone had to park on road. Some peeps didn't park according to the law and got towed - with some damage if I remember rightly. It's a narrow road in the National Forest (well what passes for a forest in those parts)

I think we only ended up seeing the friday start and about an hour of the friday night stage. It rained and was quite cold an we wern't expecting that. Night stages are kinda cool but after you've seen a couple of dark roaring shadows with blinding lights go past.... and it raining and cold... well you get the picture.

So generally it was a fun time

I'm planning to go down again this year assuming work doesn't get too demanding. Seeing Rally cars just makes me happy. I usually make a day out of driving back taking a less obvious and indirect route. Last year I got stuck in the snow on some forest road near Sequoia. This year I may camp somewhere on the Saturday night. I'm assuming its not going to rain again. That was supposed to be a fluke

The fee is a bit annoying but you get a covered grandstand and special stages so that could be cool.

The major bummer is no factory teams. That's been the major draw for the last two years. Bit of a gamble or the organizers. Hope they cover their costs this year. Looks like they planned for bigger crowds. Be a shame if it doesn't happen.

Last edited by gotwrx; 04-20-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 PM

I am there for shure. i plan on going sown friday morning and camping out at lake Isabela which is generally close to landcaster then hitting up the rally racing on saturday.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
I'm on the entry list so I guess I'll be there.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Location: 1999 OBS, 1985 GTI rallycar, 1995 Miata trackcar, 2001 Ford E350 van
Car Info: 1999 OBS
Darn entry lists. I'm listed, so I guess I have to go too, huh.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:05 PM

Car Info: '04 STi - RallyX beast
Originally posted by hoche
Darn entry lists. I'm listed, so I guess I have to go too, huh.
damn straight you're going, you're my all access ticket!

Anyone planning a caravan down yet? I took 25=>33=>5 down last year and it was a blast.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:00 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
I went last year. It totally blew chunks and w/ no factory backed cars, what's the point
Old 04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally posted by HomerJay
I went last year. It totally blew chunks and w/ no factory backed cars, what's the point
Privateers are fun to watch too. In fact, I'd almost say more fun because there are so many different types of cars out there.

Besides, last year was somewhat of a fluke compared to previous years.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:28 PM

Car Info: '04 STi - RallyX beast
Originally posted by HomerJay
uhhh, there were two factory backed teams and 4 cars last year.

Quick Reply: check out http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/ who is planning on going?