cheapest most affordable Daily Driven Coils that wont cost too much

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by PaulWalker
I am not going to lie... Even though this is hideous... It does not seem half-assed haha.

Anyone notice the Jesus plates?
Nobody ****s with the Jesus.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
I think you just need to specify your goals.

If you want a comfy DD stay with stock suspension.
If you want to lower you car then just get springs.
If you want to take corners a little bit faster go for a good strut + spring combo.
If you want to track go with coil-overs.

I think everyone wants to help you save money in general.

I had a big dilemma about picking up coil-overs. I always feared used one because you never know how aggressive people rode on them and when they're going to blow. In the end I drive an auto 2.5i so my goal was just to eliminate wheel gap so I went with the tanabe gf210 springs (04 model with 1.5 front and 1.3 rear) for $200. Satisfied my needs.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 2011 Infiniti G37
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Who cares...they're still a **** product.
I can't tell you the number of blown BC parts I've removed from cars...
hmmm i guess i am receiving mixed opinions of them. they seem to be pretty popular over at the 3gwrx message boards.

care to elaborate a lil bit for me? ie, what models, longevity before they began to break down, etc?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
All Tein's products are of less-than-stellar quality. You've gotten the anecdotal evidence from professionals and enthusiasts telling you about issues they've had. LIC even took the time to write a VERY concise and correct little guide giving you the basics. If you're expecting us to produce charts, graphs and verified indisputable statistics from the Society of **** suspension then you're outta your mind and deserve to waste your money.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2011 Infiniti G37
Originally Posted by manhands
All Tein's products are of less-than-stellar quality. You've gotten the anecdotal evidence from professionals and enthusiasts telling you about issues they've had. LIC even took the time to write a VERY concise and correct little guide giving you the basics. If you're expecting us to produce charts, graphs and verified indisputable statistics from the Society of **** suspension then you're outta your mind and deserve to waste your money.
are you directing this at me, kind sir?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
So the guy i was suppose to pick up the Teins Coilovers from back out and flaked..
I am trying to lower the front more since the rear is more low. Is there a way to lower the front a bit more to even out with the front? without getting coils?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by CaliSuby
So the guy i was suppose to pick up the Teins Coilovers from back out and flaked..
I am trying to lower the front more since the rear is more low. Is there a way to lower the front a bit more to even out with the front? without getting coils?
Date a really fat chick and make her sit in the front seat.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
Are you on stock suspension? If so your front and rear should be the same height. The quarter panel is cut lower than the front fender giving the illusion of the back being more lowered. That is why my springs drop 1.5" in front and 1.3" in the rear. With that drop I get no wheel gap in the rear and probably 1" in front but I'm running 17" bbs with 225/45/17 don't know if that would make a big difference or not.

I am no expert on suspension but I just wanted to be low without putting super stress on my stock shocks.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Car Info: Fast
Here is a pic of my car on RCE Yellow springs. The drop is a little over an inch...but keep in mind that I am on Konis with the D-rex mod that adds almost an inch of travel. The rear is raised half an inch with the Turn In Concepts saggy butt spacers.

The RCE Yellows are probably a bit low for stock struts, but there are a lot of springs available that get rid of a good amount of wheel gap while leaving enough dampening for a comfortable ride.

17x9 +42 offset DPTs. Car is fully functional, and in my opinion low enough to look sweet without riding on the bumpstops

Name:  front14.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  side12.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  98.3 KB

Last edited by aboothman; 10-25-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Here is something I put together awhile ago. It's definitely outdated. Only thing I would note is that the spectrum is based on ride quality and not anything else. Doesn't take into account handling or shock life or anything else for that matter.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...onion+coilover
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi
I guess I can post some more info.

Again, daily driven BC ER coilovers on my '06 STI. Spring rates are 12k/10k.

Yes it is a rough ride.

Here is a video driving in my hometown after installing them.
Daily driving

Here is a clip of me driving at Thunderhill with the same coilovers after driving to CA from Illinois and daily driving here in Sacramento. (there is a lot of white out because of the location of the GoPro)
Thunderhill

Last edited by STi33W; 10-25-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by Lowend
Your money is probably better spent on a set of swaybars than a set of cheap springs on stock shocks
for what a cheap set of coil overs cost you could get used JDM pinks and fr/rr swaybars. it would handle better,ride smoother and safer. cheap CO's should be illegal.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
my Megan CO's are alright. Little Co clunk but get use to it. Been driving 5k miles so far on em and still lookin good.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by manhands
All Tein's products are of less-than-stellar quality.

I would disagree with this statement, I've got a set of Tein HG's on my WRX that have a few thousand miles on gravel and some air time, and they have performed every bit as well as I could have asked for.

Their cheap stuff- OK so yeah-that's something I wouldn't even think of driving on, but their rally stuff is probably some of the best (for the cost) that is out there.

But the HG's don't fall close to being in the "inexpensive" category- more the mid-range among the cost structures that other people have mentioned.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by psoper
I would disagree with this statement, I've got a set of Tein HG's on my WRX that have a few thousand miles on gravel and some air time, and they have performed every bit as well as I could have asked for.

Their cheap stuff- OK so yeah-that's something I wouldn't even think of driving on, but their rally stuff is probably some of the best (for the cost) that is out there.

But the HG's don't fall close to being in the "inexpensive" category- more the mid-range among the cost structures that other people have mentioned.
Back in 2008 at Subiefest they had Travis Pastrana's rally car there. It had Tein coilovers on it, and it was the actual rally car.

Quick Reply: cheapest most affordable Daily Driven Coils that wont cost too much