cheapest most affordable Daily Driven Coils that wont cost too much

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Car Info: GM8 99 with EJ20g
you have to consider PRICE and COST.....

on one hand the PRICE might be low and affordable, but you get what you pay for. you can get a cheap set, and then hate it and be stuck with it. and it will end up costing you more when you install and then un-install them to go back to stock. not just your pocket book but your time.

or pay extra now and never have to rebuild or uninstall them later on and be totally satisfied
Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
I wouldn't waste my $ buying cheaper coilovers if I were you, you'll regret it later. Save up for a good set (if you think you really need them) or go with some inserts like said before. Too bad this wasn't a week earlier, I just sold my set of Whiteline G4 coilovers from my '05 sti.
________
BODY SCIENCE

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
why else do people have coilovers? to go lower than springs do, thats why i have them

honestly getting sick of them but i dont track my car, its a dd with over 120k...i just dont like wheel gap
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM

Car Info: '07 WRX Wagon
Raceland coilovers take the cake of the cheapest.

300 bucks.

There is a debate on them over at nasioc in the suspension forum.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by slugrx
to go lower than springs do, thats why i have them
Didn't realize they had this advantage over springs/struts.

Originally Posted by slugrx
why else do people have coilovers?
To better fine tune handling.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Car Info: WRX
I also love the height and dampening adjustability of my coilovers.

Going from STi struts with matching sti spec prodrive springs, i've actually noticed that the coilovers had a smoother ride, but stiffer, but smoother. I know it doesn't make that much sense. I guess I noticed it moved more smoothly over bumps and bounced around less.

I think whether springs or coils, it's purely just a personal choice with lots of pros and cons to each. Find one that suits your needs.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
i never really understood this superslammed business but in my day, coilovers were meant<and still are to a degree> for competition driving like on a track and not for everyday duties

might as well cut the springs to reach the objective of being super low and ultimately having to do the same thing with cheap coilovers daily driven anyway.. and that is to replace the equipment pretty quick
Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Coilovers are definitely geared toward competition. Then you can corner balance the car etc. They do have the ability to go LOW too though which is what many use them for, also gives room for more wheel/tire changes.

And I would skip many of the low cost coilovers. Most ride like crap as they come valved with too much rebound. OK if you drive on super smooth roads but most bay area roads SUCK.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by xdeathwishx

To better fine tune handling.
sorry, should have said cheap coilovers
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
KW, AST, and JRZ are all good coilovers, but there are plenty of other good shocks out there. You just have to pay for them. You're looking at least 2500
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Originally Posted by subaru3169
i never really understood this superslammed business but in my day, coilovers were meant<and still are to a degree> for competition driving like on a track and not for everyday duties

might as well cut the springs to reach the objective of being super low and ultimately having to do the same thing with cheap coilovers daily driven anyway.. and that is to replace the equipment pretty quick
Who said they were slamming their car? I didnt know I had to explain to yah why exactly I want coilovers. Its not part of my question.

I am picked up some 18x9 rims and would like to run coils to compliment the wide rims. I have lowering spring already but coils would be best to fine tune the cars suspension. I dont understand why it becomes such a big problem/issue to ask for a simple set of coils for DD..I just dont want to drop mad cash for a set of coils im not gonna track/race. I belive its my desicion in what i want to run on my OWN car. Thanks for the once that actually aswered my questions and didnt turn it into some crazy *** personal discussion.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Dude - you asked for advice, and people are just trying to help you out.

The short answer is that any coilovers you pay less than $1500 for the set, are probably going to be pieces of crap.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
For DD only I would get KW V1 if you care about ride quality at all. If not, any of those cheap coilovers will do.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Originally Posted by CaliSuby
Who said they were slamming their car? I didnt know I had to explain to yah why exactly I want coilovers. Its not part of my question.

I am picked up some 18x9 rims and would like to run coils to compliment the wide rims. I have lowering spring already but coils would be best to fine tune the cars suspension. I dont understand why it becomes such a big problem/issue to ask for a simple set of coils for DD..I just dont want to drop mad cash for a set of coils im not gonna track/race. I belive its my desicion in what i want to run on my OWN car. Thanks for the once that actually aswered my questions and didnt turn it into some crazy *** personal discussion.
i never once told YOU what YOU should do to YOUR car.. try upping your reading skills

and just so you know, coilovers are not the solution to everything.. i only stated how it was in MY day and what coilovers were initially intended for from MY experience.. do you use a hammer to put threaded bolts on your car?? coz i don't and that's simply what i was implying.. yes, coilovers can be used but they're not being used for its intended purpose

if you don't like the answers ppl give, then don't ask
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Car Info: .
'Fine tune' and 'cheap coilovers' don't belong in the same sentence together.

Now, if you said you want to 'ruin' your car's suspension then Taiwanese made crap all the way.

Quick Reply: cheapest most affordable Daily Driven Coils that wont cost too much