cat-less uppipe, now throwing CEL...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 01:00 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Talking cat-less uppipe, now throwing CEL...

delete this please.

Last edited by mattsn0w; 03-30-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:16 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
There are no negative effects to that CEL, it will just be annoying to keep looking at your CEL lit up. Goto radio shack and buy a pack of 2.2k ohm resistors. Unplug the egt sensor and insert the resistor ends into the two holes where the sensor wires would normally connect to. I'd also maybe look into removing the egt sensor from the uppipe and putting a bolt in its place.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:07 PM

thats what I thought someone would recommend. Thanks Dan.

I picked up a pocket size ODB II reader at kragen and pulled 2 codes: P0544 and P0546.
P0544 is just for the first EGT sensor, P0546 is for the first EGT sensor with HIGH at the end. So I take it that the cell is from a high EGT reading or that the sensor is borked?

While driving down I plugged/unplugged the code reader about 4 times to clear the code, then stopped for gas, reset the ECU, cell came on about 2 miles on to I-5, cleared it and it never came back on. This was at the willows 76 station in northern CA, from there I went about 175? miles with no cel.

Part of the reason I posted this was curiosity brought up by a friend, just wanted to find out there are any negative side effects of running a catless uppipe.

Wont the ECU relearn where it should be boosting, and where the waste gate should open based on the amount of exhaust flow to the turbo?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
What year is your car?
If its an 04+, its possible that the quicker spoolup you're getting from the catless uppipe is causing EGT's to rise quicker than normal during the open loop dellay period present in the stock 04+ programming since you're now spooling up quicker and running full boost for a longer period of time during the dellay. The other possibility is that the sensor is just bad .

-- Ed

EQ Tuning
Old 02-26-2005, 08:46 PM

04 wagon, what is this closed delay you speak of?
Old 02-26-2005, 09:07 PM

I looked and found something similar here, post #9:
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...73#post2042973

I am not running an MBC, or anything like that.

Another tidbit is that the CEL was always thrown at a constant speed. Meaning I had cruise control, 5th gear, 75MPH, -20 on the vacume side of the boost gauge, almost always driving on flat ground.

Even the first time the CEL occured, it was on flat ground, early in the morning after getting up to speed from the onramp.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
you don't want to have the stock uppipe EGT probe plugged into a catless uppipe.

the purpose of the stock uppipe EGT probe is to check if the pre-cat is deteriorating.

if you leave the stock uppipe EGT in the catless uppipe, it could deteriorate and enter your turbo...

as davon said, just insert a plug into the EGT bung on the catless uppipe, and use the CEL fix (2.2k resistor), and you will be fine and run safely.

I did this on my old '02 WRX and never had a CEL come on, or any other problems...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by mcdrama
04 wagon, what is this closed delay you speak of?

The open loop dellay is a dellay programmed into 04+ wrx ecu's. Basically when you go WOT, the ECU waits 2-3 seconds before switching into open loop mode (enrichment). During this 2-3 second period, you're running full boost in closed loop mode (14.7:1 a/f), meanwhile EGT's rise quickly and the ECU must pull timing to keep detonation at bay. To see how this feels, go WOT at about 3000RPM in third gear.... you'll feel a lack of power untill about 4000-4500RPM when the ECU switches into open loop and you feel a sudden kick of power.

The problems associated with this dellay are worsened by any mods that reduce the time it takes the turbo to spool because when the turbo spools up quicker, you end up running full boost for an even longer period of time during the dellay than you would in a stock car.

This may not be the problem associated with your EGT CEL, especially since you say that the CEL came up while cruising on the fwy out of boost. It is, however, still an issue and causes hesitation and detonation in stock and especially modified 04+ WRX's.

Thanks
-- Ed

EQ Tuning
Old 02-26-2005, 10:40 PM

after more, and more reading. Looks like I will need me some EcuTek. =\ Anyone take credit cards for EcuTek? ;D
Old 02-26-2005, 11:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

after more, and more reading. Looks like I will need me some EcuTek. =\ Anyone take credit cards for EcuTek? ;D

-- Ed

EQ Tuning
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 PM

odd.... It came on again this morning, but then when I left kirkwood, it was off? WTF?

Is it normal/possible for a check engine light to turn its self off just from sitting in ~20 degree weather?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:50 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

That seems pretty strange to me... it sounds like your EGT sensor is going bad...

-- Ed

EQ Tuning

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 02-27-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:00 PM

Car Info: WRB '02 WRX
odd.... It came on again this morning, but then when I left kirkwood, it was off? WTF?

Is it normal/possible for a check engine light to turn its self off just from sitting in ~20 degree weather?
mcd,

My CEL, which seems to be caused by a bad O2 sensor, did that once also (minus the 20 degree weather)

As Ed said: it adds to the likelyhood that the problem is with the sensor.

Happy Boardin'
M
Old 02-28-2005, 07:25 AM

wonder if SSC would cover it under warranty
;x

naw, I think I will get an ESX pyrometer with matching boost gauge.
I have to pay registrationg AND insurance this month, so I will be a bit tapped for cash.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Car Info: V7 PSM SEDAN
I have a 03 sedan that had a similar problem. I have a catless up-pipe also, but with a Utec and CEL fix. I took it to Gruppe-S to see if they can pull the code, since CEL fix was bought there. Had a code 456 and turns out the gas cap wasn't tighten.

Quick Reply: cat-less uppipe, now throwing CEL...