Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Clunkers were great when I was 16 and was learnin how to drive.. haha =P
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by josh
i am willingto bet they will throw more money at it. it has been a boon for Ford so far, and GM is also starting to benefit from this. Those 2 NOT going away is a good thing overall for the economy.

have you had any luck legally Gagan? with getting the car into your name?

josh
No, I'll more than likely miss out on this unless someone in the DMV can just hook me up. What I'm going to try is to take a death cert with me, and see if they'll do it in person. It's the not the proper way, but who knows.

Doing this through probate court to become administrator to an estate, is not a fast process.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
no it isnt. good luck either way....

josh

PS hope to see ya at the BAM!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM

My parents just took advantage of this deal today. Traded a 17yr old 1992 Lexus LS400 towards a new 2009 BMW 328i. For the cars to qualify, the MPG difference between the old car and the new car must be 4 MPG combined, as determined by the Federal Gov't. If there is at least a 4mpg difference, you may be entitled to $3500. If there is at least a 10mpg difference, you can get $4500. The MPG requirements for SUV/trucks are different - I think you can get away with buying a less fuel efficient SUV. I was surprised to see the number of new cars that simply didn't qualify, i.e. G37, Hyundai Genesis (V6 or V8), many of the Subarus, etc. As others have stated, the MSRP of the car you're buying cannot exceed $45k, even though you may pay less for it.

As for the qualifying dealers, you really have to call around and ask to see if they participate. The list of dealers on the Cars.gov website is not comprehensive.

The whole process takes about 3-4hrs, since they have to make sure all the paperwork is in order, etc.

The contract states that the cars MUST be crushed, and the dealers are entitled to whatever salvage value the trade-in may have.

In our case, the program worked out well. We traded a 17yr old V8 that got 18mpg for a new V6 that gets 22mpg. Not a HUGE difference, but I'm sure any little bit helps, and hey, if the gov't is going to spend the money anyways, we might as well take advantage of it. I'd much rather my tax dollars go to this than welfare, some ridiculous universal healthcare plan, benefits for illegal immigrants, etc.
________
UGGS

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by kyoung05
My parents just took advantage of this deal today. Traded a 17yr old 1992 Lexus LS400 towards a new 2009 BMW 328i. For the cars to qualify, the MPG difference between the old car and the new car must be 4 MPG combined, as determined by the Federal Gov't. If there is at least a 4mpg difference, you may be entitled to $3500. If there is at least a 10mpg difference, you can get $4500. The MPG requirements for SUV/trucks are different - I think you can get away with buying a less fuel efficient SUV. I was surprised to see the number of new cars that simply didn't qualify, i.e. G37, Hyundai Genesis (V6 or V8), many of the Subarus, etc. As others have stated, the MSRP of the car you're buying cannot exceed $45k, even though you may pay less for it.

As for the qualifying dealers, you really have to call around and ask to see if they participate. The list of dealers on the Cars.gov website is not comprehensive.

The whole process takes about 3-4hrs, since they have to make sure all the paperwork is in order, etc.

The contract states that the cars MUST be crushed, and the dealers are entitled to whatever salvage value the trade-in may have.

In our case, the program worked out well. We traded a 17yr old V8 that got 18mpg for a new V6 that gets 22mpg. Not a HUGE difference, but I'm sure any little bit helps, and hey, if the gov't is going to spend the money anyways, we might as well take advantage of it. I'd much rather my tax dollars go to this than welfare, some ridiculous universal healthcare plan, benefits for illegal immigrants, etc.
that's not the typical trade in nor is it the typical purchase as I've linked above.

Your situation is nearly the worst scenario in getting better fuel efficiency, but, I'd have to say it's probably a good trade in terms of $ for you since I take it that lexus is not worth more than $3500?

Most GOP folks would be upset at that trade, lol. Fox News is always talking on and on about the program and how people are going to trade in 1 SUV for another. Data shows the opposite. most are trading in american SUVs for small cars. Most of those small cars are made in the USA or at least North America.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Most GOP folks would be upset at that trade, lol. Fox News is always talking on and on about the program and how people are going to trade in 1 SUV for another. Data shows the opposite. most are trading in american SUVs for small cars. Most of those small cars are made in the USA or at least North America.
That's a bold statement seeing that the DOT has not released any relevant data on which cars are being traded in, which cars are being purchased, etc.

DOT declines to release data on 'cash for clunkers' that would show impact on US carmakers

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 08-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP WRX Wagon
the way they blow the engines just wastes gas imho. pretty silly idea if you ask me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo&eurl=
Old 08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Morons.......
Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
the program may end soon better geta move on
Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
That's a bold statement seeing that the DOT has not released any relevant data on which cars are being traded in, which cars are being purchased, etc.

DOT declines to release data on 'cash for clunkers' that would show impact on US carmakers
The Ten Most Traded-In Vehicles
1. Ford Explorer 4WD
2. Ford F150 Pickup 2WD
3. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD
4. Jeep Cherokee 4WD
5. Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan 2WD
6. Ford Explorer 2WD
7. Chevrolet Blazer 4WD
8. Ford F150 Pickup 4WD
9. Chevrolet C1500 Pickup 2WD
10. Ford Windstar FWD Van

The Ten Most Purchased Vehicles
1. Toyota Corolla
2. Ford Focus FWD
3. Honda Civic
4. Toyota Prius
5. Toyota Camry
6. Hyundai Elantra
7. Ford Escape FWD
8. Dodge Caliber
9. Honda Fit
10. Chevrolet Cobalt

Of the above cars that were purchased, all but the Prius and the Elantra are made in the North America.

-Gagan
Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Old School

"Honda’s Civic is built in Greensburg, Indiana, and Alliston, Ontario. Those plants make more than 95 percent of the Civics for North America."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=am1mj6R6tAcg

I'd like to buy a new Civic. I know that most of them are made right here in the USofA. I support union free employment in my country.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Do not go to the website on your computer (Once you visit the website, by LAW, your computer = federal computer) Which means basically your computer is 100% government property.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Do not go to the website on your computer (Once you visit the website, by LAW, your computer = federal computer) Which means basically your computer is 100% government property.
what?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Old School

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/whi...your-computer/

I thought you people were smarter than that... Visiting that site has no login procedure.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Old School

scratch the civic, I've found the 2010 Kia Forte!

Apparently, if I qualify, I can get up to about $3500 back in credits, which can be applied in addition to the CARS credit.

I can buy a damn new car that gets 27/36 for about $6k-$7k.... that has 10yr/100k mile powertrain.

Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers Program: CARS.gov