Carefull with those redlight cameras guys... Even when turning right.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Carefull with those redlight cameras guys... Even when turning right.

So I got nabbed by a redlight camera about a month ago on Blacow and Stevenson...

I was turning right at at a light that had JUST turned red, but I had my dog in the car and I stopped a like 10-15 feet before the intersection line (BEFORE the line) then the light turned red and I floored it... I guess the camera didn't think I stopped cuz I stopped too early and it took my pic. I was only in the first picture that they took, and the second picture that was taken 1.79 seconds after the first I was completely gone because I was hauling *** around the corner like usual. It said I was going 15mph...

Sucks, cuz I actually did stop fully before the red light, just didn't pull all the way up to the intersection line... Damnit, thinking about just chauking it up cuz my case would be pretty weak.

Anyway. just remember that those red light cameras WILL take your picture if you don't fully stop at the intersection before turning right.

Carefull.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
i know 3 other people that got the exact same ticket at that intersection.. daymmmmm...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
fight it...it's a damn camera.

I got a stop sign ticket like that. I was behind a van. the van pulled out...slower than **** and I pulled up to the line...complete stop. then pulled away.

I was completely out of line of site...behind the van to the cop. When he saw me I was right behind the van cause it was going like 5mph. He said I didn't stop. I was pissed. I went to court...lost. Bull****.

but yours is a camera. Just go tell them you stopped. the camera ****ed up...etc.
I'm sure at the very least they'll reduce it but my bet is they toss it. Those camera tickets are basically to make money off the people not willing to spend the time to fight them.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
you've seen this site, right?

http://www.ticketassassin.com/autoenf_toc.html
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 03 Legacy GT Wagon
I was in court a couple of days ago.....and some guy was trying to fight a red light/camera ticket and the judge asked him if he had seen the pictures of the violation and how he pleaded. Not guilty your honor in a loud voice!!!! The jugde went on to say did you see the video tape of the violation?????? The guy was totally stunnned, what tape!!????? She went on to say that as a back up for cameras they also use the traffic cameras as evidence now. Almost ( i think their scare tactic worked) everyone pleaded guilty after they heard this new finding. Something to think about.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 05 STi, 87 RX
Wow, sorry to hear. Were you turning from Blacow onto Stevenson or the other way around?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
But if he did stop he wouldn't have to worry about the video tape.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
But if he did stop he wouldn't have to worry about the video tape.

Video tape? They take stills.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
dont intersection's with cameras require a sign or something? at least that's what i thought.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 AM

Car Info: it has 4 wheels and it runs.
only input i have to say is that if you're innocent, then you're innocent. you dont have anything to doubt if you truly believe you're innocent. why be skurred of the judge and the video?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
Those cameras suck.....my friend got a red light violation in San Francisco. They took 2 pics of the front of her car and one of the rear of the car. They zoomed in so they can show her face in the pic. While zooming in the noticed that she was on her cell phone. So on top of the $250 fine for running the red, she got a "Driving with a hazardous device" an extra $150 added to the ticket....those cameras suck...lazy *** cops.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
theres a lot of those cameras here in the fremont area, everytime im driving ill usually go around those spots where the cameras are. just to be on the safe side.

-Ave
Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by SUBY_6_STI
Those cameras suck.....my friend got a red light violation in San Francisco. They took 2 pics of the front of her car and one of the rear of the car. They zoomed in so they can show her face in the pic. While zooming in the noticed that she was on her cell phone. So on top of the $250 fine for running the red, she got a "Driving with a hazardous device" an extra $150 added to the ticket....those cameras suck...lazy *** cops.
I thought NY was the only state to outlaw the use of cell phones while driving?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

I got nabbed on Saratoga turning onto Hillsdale. I crossed the line 0.1 seconds after the light turned red, apparently. In most bay area locations, there is a camera that takes a pic from behind and another one that takes a pic from in front. At the same time, there's a rear-view 12 second video taken, as well. Also, there's a trigger line some 25 feet behind the intersection (ie, 1.5 car lengths), which they use to determine what you were doing before the intersection.

Quite illegally, the amount that the city pays, in San Mateo, is proportional to the number of tickets. I am currently fighting my ticket and this is one of the points of contention I'm bringing up. highwayrobbery.net has been an incredible help for these dumb redlight camera issues.

BTW, on mine, there was a protected right turn - once the light turned red, the perpendicular traffic got a left turn light, so it's not like I was running an intersection and actually being dangerous. Oh, and something like 90% of redlight tickets do not deal with the dangerous redlight runners (who go straight). Almost all tickets issued are to right turn folks.

And to make matters worse, since the installation of redlight cameras in San Mateo, the number of accidents in each area where there is a camera, has gone up. I don't have data to back up which kinds of accidents, but there are several websites that claim rear-enders are the most common increased accident in redlight camera areas.

Great...

San Mateo - Saratoga and Hillsdale - issues some 30+ tickets per day...

Joel
Old 05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
I'd expect a fear of getting nailed by a redlight camera would lead to an increase in sudden stops just before an intersection - which will inevitably lead to more rear-ender collisions by the 2nd driver in line.

These devices are about revenue, not safety. FIGHT THE TICKET!

Quick Reply: Carefull with those redlight cameras guys... Even when turning right.