carboard speaker box

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
It'll work but will sound terrible unless you compensate with enough power.

My friend and I used to build calculated enclosures for speakers and sometimes prototyped the design with cardboard... (to get a feel for size/design, not for sound)

The enclosure is necessary to act as a baffle which affects the low frequencies more than the highs. First, the enclosure separates the front of the driver from the rear, which prevents the larger wavelengths from cancelling each other out. The volume of the enclosure creates a resistance to the various frequencies which affects the frequency response; ie the Q value.

My guess is that the flexible cardboard will act as a larger effective baffle than the actual volume of air. This will cause the bass response to fall off. Blah blah blah....

Bottom line... the cardboard box will "work"... sorta. But as far as speaker boxes go, it's "bad". Then again, the average person putting together a random, uncalculated wooden/plexi/fiberglass box isn't much better.

This can all be compensated for with strong amps and a properly set equalizer.
Well said. Whatever floats one's boat, but I do not think I would have done that. I have built lots of speaker boxes years ago, many based on "The Loudspeaker Cookbook" but never thought to build one of flexible material except as a joke to make the most annoying device ever (old crappy 10" sub + Home Depot sheet metal "box" riveted together with 1m by 1m sides for extra flap + bass test CD to "wake up" my brother fun fun fun fun).

As said, it might "work" and last longer because the foam will absorb some of the woofer's chutzpah, but this will also deaden the woofer's output as well. The problem is and particularly with those woofers is they respond well to an extremely rigid and airtight box. 1" MDF with extra bracing is about right. The 12" Perfect 12.1 I have in my livingroom needs it's mounting screws re-tightened occasionally.

In short, it will sound crappy (compared to to wood or something rigid) till it falls apart.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Well said. Whatever floats one's boat, but I do not think I would have done that. I have built lots of speaker boxes years ago, many based on "The Loudspeaker Cookbook" but never thought to build one of flexible material except as a joke to make the most annoying device ever (old crappy 10" sub + Home Depot sheet metal "box" riveted together with 1m by 1m sides for extra flap + bass test CD to "wake up" my brother fun fun fun fun).
with lots of extra untightened bolts and plenty of loose washers to rattle around lol