Car vibrates when braking, more at higher speeds, less at lower.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:33 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Almost 100% sure it's not rotor warp, because rotor warp just doesn't happen. Try bedding in your brakes again. Most likely when you were hard on your brakes, your rotors at one point came to a dead stop before they cooled down, resulting in uneven pad deposits. By bedding your brakes in again, it can possibly remove these deposits.

Stop Tech has great reads about brakes if you want more info.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml

Specifically about the rotor warp myth: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
The warped rotor "feel" is usually uneven pad deposits in my experience. Often time you can simply take off the deposits with a sanding wheel without actually turning the rotors. Then you have a fresh surface to re-bed the pads.

Simply re-bedding on top of an uneven pad deposit usually does not work and makes the issue worse.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 07-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
We primarily only stock the StopTech SP pads and use them for our daily brake pad replacement pads

I have them on my wife's car (97 LGT), on my car (02 WRX with front/rear StopTech BBK), on our fathers car (98 forester), on my brothers car (97 Outback), on his wifes car (05 LGT), I also have them on my mom's car (02 PT Cruiser), we have installed them on a G35, etc...You get the idea, we put them on everything that comes through our shop that needs brakes and isn't for track application.

we only stock what we would/will run ourselves and this is why we are comfortable selling them/installing them for our customers daily...

-Noah
Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I completely agree on the Stoptech pads. I've run them in several Subies and have them in my M5 as well and love them all around.

-- Ed
Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Almost 100% sure it's not rotor warp, because rotor warp just doesn't happen. Try bedding in your brakes again. Most likely when you were hard on your brakes, your rotors at one point came to a dead stop before they cooled down, resulting in uneven pad deposits. By bedding your brakes in again, it can possibly remove these deposits.
Yup. Another thing I have noticed is that vibration from an unbalanced wheel is often exaggerated under braking.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
The warped rotor "feel" is usually uneven pad deposits in my experience. Often time you can simply take off the deposits with a sanding wheel without actually turning the rotors. Then you have a fresh surface to re-bed the pads.

Simply re-bedding on top of an uneven pad deposit usually does not work and makes the issue worse.

Thanks
-- Ed
Thanks for the heads up Ed. I thought rebedding would heat up the rotors to the point where the old pad material would heat up and come off giving a new pad transfer surface. Guess I was wrong.