Car vibrates when braking, more at higher speeds, less at lower.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
you want to do pads and rotors. Using used pads with new rotors is never recommended

you can do just one end (front or back), ideally you want to stick with same compound pads though if you do that route.

-Noah
Oh okay thanks!

So I shouldn't use Hawk pads in the front and stock pads in the back?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
ideally you want to stock with both the same pad compounds (or as close to similar characteristics as possible)

if they are HPS yeah those are ok with OEM. Stoptech SP pads are ok with OEM as well.

-Noah
Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 07-01-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
I'd recommend you get same compound for consistency, however it's not like front and rear are same size. For daily driver on oem rotors, I can't see pad flavor being too much of a issue. At a track day however you may get undesired results.

+1 on ss lines. Wrx comes with rubber. My lines are sleeved and Ss. Make the pedal feel way better.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
i upgraded to brembos in the front with hawk ceramics i def notice a bias but its not too bad hps will be less noticable.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by johndabrit
I'd recommend you get same compound for consistency, however it's not like front and rear are same size. For daily driver on oem rotors, I can't see pad flavor being too much of a issue. At a track day however you may get undesired results.

+1 on ss lines. Wrx comes with rubber. My lines are sleeved and Ss. Make the pedal feel way better.
Agreed!

we have those in stock as well: http://www.licmotorsports.com/store/242%2C284

-Noah
Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 PM

ideally you want to stock with both the same pad compounds (or as close to similar characteristics as possible)

if they are HPS yeah those are ok with OEM. Stoptech SP pads are ok with OEM as well.

-Noah
Originally Posted by johndabrit

What happens if they're not consistent? Does one grip faster than the other? I'm guessing which ever end has more grip has less wheel movement than the other end and not good since AWD? Totally guessing here correct me
Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by slugrx
I went from oem rotors/pads to stoptech slotted replacements and hawk pads and it is way better...haven't done an exact measurement but they grab really hard when needed and never fade (I drive highway 17 almost daily so its high speed braking), brake dusts like crazy though
Performance pads are different story. I too have hawk pads, but performance rotors not so much.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by woocabin
What happens if they're not consistent? Does one grip faster than the other? I'm guessing which ever end has more grip has less wheel movement than the other end and not good since AWD? Totally guessing here correct me
I don't think it would make too much difference for DD. Just replace fronts. If you are going to track, forget those rotors. Buy real bbk.

I used HPS front pads with oem rear for several years (before rear pads needed to be replaced.) - no problem. My wrx is 10 yr old.

Last edited by willow; 07-01-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by willow
I don't think it would make too much difference for DD. Just replace fronts. If you are going to track, forget those rotors. Buy real bbk.

I used HPS front pads with oem rear for several years (before rear pads needed to be replaced.) - no problem. My wrx is 10 yr old.
Not tracking, at least not in the mean time. Yea I think I will just replace front pads and get whatever cheap front rotors. Rears work fine, not touching them.

Let me know if anyone is selling front hps pads+rotors! If not, I'll support a vendor and buy from them.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Pads have different coefficient of friction, so you want fronts and rears to match as best as possible (in a street car especially).

Remember the car is front biased anyways, so you dont want some extreme variance of pad compounds on the front and std pads on rear, it will make the fronts do too much work and is not safe. Same goes vice versa but would be even worse to have rears operate faster than the fronts. Extra front bite or in extreme scenario "lock up" is always safer than rear. Modern cars are all setup with a front bias over the rears for that reason.

-Noah
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Pads have different coefficient of friction, so you want fronts and rears to match as best as possible (in a street car especially).

Remember the car is front biased anyways, so you dont want some extreme variance of pad compounds on the front and std pads on rear, it will make the fronts do too much work and is not safe. Same goes vice versa but would be even worse to have rears operate faster than the fronts. Extra front bite or in extreme scenario "lock up" is always safer than rear. Modern cars are all setup with a front bias over the rears for that reason.

-Noah
Oooo haha thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Rather have the front lock up on a bike than the rear because you end up just skidding. Always thought i was a badass doing that as a kid
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
If you're looking to mod your brakes, instead of sticking with stock, the SS lines are a huge upgrade. My car had 109k (so my rubber lines were probably softer than yours just from normal wear) when I changed to SS lines, but the pedal feel is night and day. Definitely worth the money.

From my personal experiences, I would avoid the hawk HPS pads. While they're quiet, they dust like mad. I would have to wash my wheels once every other week if I wanted to see any silver. They also have a weak initial bite, something that took a little getting used to in the beginning. I want to swap them out, but they do the job, so I don't want to spend the extra money on getting another set of pads.

I needed new pads on the rears recently and had them changed a couple weeks ago. With the great reviews of the StopTech Street Performance pads on nabisco, I went with them and they're great (only cost me ~ $45 for the set of pads too). I did the H6 upgrade, SS lines and StopTech pads and the car feels so much better.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362

-Noah
Most important word in this post is "biased." Increased/Decreased bias will be the potential result of mix and match compounds. Wise words from a great shop with a ton of parts in stock!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
If you're looking to mod your brakes, instead of sticking with stock, the SS lines are a huge upgrade. My car had 109k (so my rubber lines were probably softer than yours just from normal wear) when I changed to SS lines, but the pedal feel is night and day. Definitely worth the money.

From my personal experiences, I would avoid the hawk HPS pads. While they're quiet, they dust like mad. I would have to wash my wheels once every other week if I wanted to see any silver. They also have a weak initial bite, something that took a little getting used to in the beginning. I want to swap them out, but they do the job, so I don't want to spend the extra money on getting another set of pads.

I needed new pads on the rears recently and had them changed a couple weeks ago. With the great reviews of the StopTech Street Performance pads on nabisco, I went with them and they're great (only cost me ~ $45 for the set of pads too). I did the H6 upgrade, SS lines and StopTech pads and the car feels so much better.
Hmm thanks for the input. I'll ask other hps users, I would think more expensive pads perform better but I shall see.

Quick Reply: Car vibrates when braking, more at higher speeds, less at lower.