Capitol Subaru basically told me to GFY lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Yeah I don't want to go off topic too much but mine was a broken rear control arm voided because of my exhaust, and intercooler.

In retrospect I should have pitched a fit but it was only a $150 repair so I didn't. Now im out of warranty anyway.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
A dealer has no way of knowing when your modification was done. Receipts can be manipulated hence why you should have taken the headers off before taking it in. Did you install them yourself? Personally I would've stopped the install soon as you discovered the leak if you knew you were going to get it warranty repaired.

You treat a customer with respect regardless of their age so I'm with you on that. Id be pissed as well. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. Maybe they'll throw you a bone and cover % of the repair.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by Brfatal
I'll state again that this doesn't work the way you imagine it. There are often clear signs of recent tampering or modification. Not to mention it's fraud.
I never took into account that it could be considered fraud just imagined it would be better to roll in stock than having a bunch of aftermarket stuff on your ride when you get there.

Particularly if you know the failure has nothing to do with the parts you have installed.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
A dealer has no way of knowing when your modification was done. Receipts can be manipulated hence why you should have taken the headers off before taking it in. Did you install them yourself? Personally I would've stopped the install soon as you discovered the leak if you knew you were going to get it warranty repaired.

You treat a customer with respect regardless of their age so I'm with you on that. Id be pissed as well. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. Maybe they'll throw you a bone and cover % of the repair.
Tech's can tell when bolts have been removed. They would have raised the same issues installed or not as they had cast judgement before inspecting.

And why not install it? Doesn't effect what was damaged....

Either way he was probably hosed at this particular dealership and unfortunately most others. I'd have the issue repaired while it's at GST for a tune.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2008 wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Shayhan27

I never took into account that it could be considered fraud just imagined it would be better to roll in stock than having a bunch of aftermarket stuff on your ride when you get there.

Particularly if you know the failure has nothing to do with the parts you have installed.
I would probably go back to stock if I did my own labor but I lack a place to work on my car (no garage) so it would be costly to take off the tmic, headers, uppipe, downpipe, exhaust...and have reinstalled. Right now fighting a firewall weld (08+ issue)case with dealership/SOA basically have to buy a new clutch before they will even diagnose issue to make sure I don't have an aftermarket one.
I got the car bone stock at 36k mi so I'm pretty sure it's OEM but small chance it could have upgraded clutch. Will see going to make the appointment today
Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Brfatal
I'll state again

fraud.

I heard that this thread was already forwarded to Rich at SOA.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Tech's can tell when bolts have been removed. They would have raised the same issues installed or not as they had cast judgement before inspecting.

And why not install it? Doesn't effect what was damaged....

Either way he was probably hosed at this particular dealership and unfortunately most others. I'd have the issue repaired while it's at GST for a tune.
All they had to do is just glance at the modded headers and deny the claim. Im just saying why not go to stock and chance it. You have a much higher chance of not getting an instant rejection.

Would I chance taking my car in with a modded intercooler for a smog or a modded uppipe? Which has the higher percentage of being ignored. Sometimes too much honesty isnt good when it comes to these warranty claims.

I learned one thing from working in sales for years when I was younger. Warranties are very profitable for companies and easy money. Trying to get products fixed under said warranty is always a pain in the ***.

Not trying to be a dick. Just giving the young'n some wisdom for the future.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Capital basically just broke the Mag-Act. I'd definitely bring that up as an issue to the state, and I bet SoA will put Capital in order.

Fear tactics? That's just the company trying to bully us consumers around. Probably why this Mag-Act to protect us. I'd bring it up to the state, maybe SOA might look closer at the situation.

Bottom line, IF A doesn't break B, but Guy voids your **** without any work, that is a lawsuit.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle

HA!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle

Good lol i have nothing to hide

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
All they had to do is just glance at the modded headers and deny the claim. Im just saying why not go to stock and chance it. You have a much higher chance of not getting an instant rejection.

Would I chance taking my car in with a modded intercooler for a smog or a modded uppipe? Which has the higher percentage of being ignored. Sometimes too much honesty isnt good when it comes to these warranty claims.

I learned one thing from working in sales for years when I was younger. Warranties are very profitable for companies and easy money. Trying to get products fixed under said warranty is always a pain in the ***.

Not trying to be a dick. Just giving the young'n some wisdom for the future.
I thought about it but honestly ive put too many man hours into installing everything myself. I already knew what the issue was so it wasn't economically worth it for me to take everything off and risk them denying it anyway because of obvious tampering, plus i dont like lying.

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Capital basically just broke the Mag-Act. I'd definitely bring that up as an issue to the state, and I bet SoA will put Capital in order.

Fear tactics? That's just the company trying to bully us consumers around. Probably why this Mag-Act to protect us. I'd bring it up to the state, maybe SOA might look closer at the situation.

Bottom line, IF A doesn't break B, but Guy voids your **** without any work, that is a lawsuit.
I am going to read up on the Mag-Act as much as I can after work and present them with a strong case in my defense. Regardless of the modifications and my personal experience along with the opinions of several other people in the automotive industry who have worked on cars longer than ive been alive claim there should not be valve cover gasket failures in a 2 year old car with 34k miles on.

Despite all that the most annoying thing was being told i was denied warranty without the hood even being opened.

I hope everyone at Capitol is reading this because it is only the beginning of the ruckus I am going to create if they don't fix this issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP

Yea most service writers are only service salesmens. They do not know much about automotive related laws. Hell, most individuals don't know about laws and rights regardless.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX

As someone who used to have Victor's job, how exactly did they "basically" break it?

The Moss-Mag Act is not meant to protect people who modify their cars for performance. It was done to protect people who used to get their wheel bearing warranty claims denied because they didn't have the dealership do all of their oil changes (literally...that's why this act was proposed and passed). It was meant to protect DIY'ers and people who went to mom and pop shops with properly maintained/repaired cars from having unrelated parts' denied coverage.

OP, do you have a turbo heatshield on? If not, that CAN cause problems.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I don't bother arguing with a place like that when they start talking this kind of stuff. I just tell them to get my car and I go somewhere else. It doesn't matter if you or I are right; I don't want to deal with a place that tries to pull that stuff. I've never had my car serviced there though. With my last car I did have a few shops say they wouldn't work on my car because it was too low and they couldn't get it on their lift, or warn me ahead of time that they aren't responsible for damage caused by the car being that low when they work on it (it wasn't even that low, only 1.5" drop Eibach Prokits & Koni Yellows).

Last edited by 04GG; 01-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
I am sure Capital Subaru had a good reason, becuase why would a dealer decline warranty repair when they would make money off of it from factory? Did they try to hook up the SSM tool and notice other issues? (If AP was installed the SSM would be locked out to access some features)

Capital Subaru is no idiot and I am very sure there was a good reason behind it, and threatening them does not make you look good on here becuase other dealerships would not want to deal with that kind of attitude and decline you as well. I am not saying the guy was not a jerk, he probably was but I was not there to judge that, im just saying dealers have a good reason to decline work.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by YFZ450Lynx
I am sure Capital Subaru had a good reason, becuase why would a dealer decline warranty repair when they would make money off of it from factory? Did they try to hook up the SSM tool and notice other issues? (If AP was installed the SSM would be locked out to access some features)

Capital Subaru is no idiot and I am very sure there was a good reason behind it, and threatening them does not make you look good on here becuase other dealerships would not want to deal with that kind of attitude and decline you as well. I am not saying the guy was not a jerk, he probably was but I was not there to judge that, im just saying dealers have a good reason to decline work.
I am not entirely complaining that it was declined I am complaining of how it was handled. A dealership does not have the right to decline a warranty and tell me my warranty is void without even inspecting or let alone opening the hood of the car.

Quick Reply: Capitol Subaru basically told me to GFY lol