Can someone suggest a weapon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Ah I thought you were just looking for home defense.
No I suppose you cant
Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by ldivinag
so if you carried for work, why not go back that?
The last handgun I qualified for was a Beretta, I didn't care for the feel, so I threw out the question, I know guns, esp handguns are very personal, but I really don't know what's out there anymore.

thanks all, this has been a big help.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Ah I thought you were just looking for home defense.
No I suppose you cant
It IS home defense, but i don't want to leave a shot gun in the house to be stolen...I cannot believe how much damage I've taken since last summer..I think I'm installing cameras...this is frustrating.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
It IS home defense, but i don't want to leave a shot gun in the house to be stolen...I cannot believe how much damage I've taken since last summer..I think I'm installing cameras...this is frustrating.
first line of defense is deterrence...

install cameras that are visible and INVISBLE.

second, buy a big and HEAVY safe. one that you can bolt down to the concrete or a very secure wall.

stick the firearms in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Can't lock a shotgun under my seat.
http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/set.../complete.html
Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Krinkov
If your going to claim that you had no choice but to use lethal force on someone whos 20-30+ feet away from you, youre going to have ALOT of explaining to do, especially here in california.

google "tueller drill"
Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
i dont mean to bump a old thread but getting a gun is not a good idea if you plan on keeping it on you.if this is going to be a home defense only i would say no to a hand gun and yes to a shot gun.there are so many laws and rights that unless you kill the person i can say you will prob get sued.a shot gun wont go through walls,killing a neighbor,you will be hard pressed to miss and in most cases racking a shot gun is enough to scare someone off without having to fire a shot.

if your hard pressed for a hand gun a revolver is better for home than a auto.super simple,always fires and you can get a .357 and chamber a .38.tiy can get hammerless and its small enough to hide just about anywere.plus,if you miss with the first 5 you prob shouldnt be shooting at someone
Old 06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Just for traffic control

My house has been broken into and parts looted off of my car when I have been home as well as random things outside of my house - lawn furniture etc. The guys who broke in, only had about 10 mins before I got back and they ran out the back yard as I pulled in.

I would rather not face them unarmed.

Ko-mop-sum-ni-da.
12ga is better for urban protection... but if they break in and take the guns first..you're pretty much screwed.

What about moving? even if it's just a few blocks, could make a difference.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by nation
i dont mean to bump a old thread but getting a gun is not a good idea if you plan on keeping it on you.if this is going to be a home defense only i would say no to a hand gun and yes to a shot gun.there are so many laws and rights that unless you kill the person i can say you will prob get sued.a shot gun wont go through walls,killing a neighbor,you will be hard pressed to miss and in most cases racking a shot gun is enough to scare someone off without having to fire a shot.

if your hard pressed for a hand gun a revolver is better for home than a auto.super simple,always fires and you can get a .357 and chamber a .38.tiy can get hammerless and its small enough to hide just about anywere.plus,if you miss with the first 5 you prob shouldnt be shooting at someone
are civilians like us allowed to have frangible bullets? I say that would solve the whole wall thing...especially with a bullet that travels with the velocity of a 9mm.

i use some federal hst jhp's for my home defense but yeah...i'd be hard pressed to miss just because ammo costs are up there. The only cheap stuff out there is some 12gauge. so just keep a shotgun loaded with the "party mix" and you'd be ok. 2 rounds of 00buckshot and every 3rd round a rifled slug.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by yayitzian
are civilians like us allowed to have frangible bullets? I say that would solve the whole wall thing...especially with a bullet that travels with the velocity of a 9mm.
Frangible is NOT a good man-stopper. JHP all the way. All the evidence supports this.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by Spoolin415

I dunno, Springfield XD9? Go to a gun shop and hold different guns to see what fits your hand the best.
remember.. a gun isnt supposed to be too comfortable in your hand. It is however supposed to fit nicely. On my sig the correct way to hold it is not so comfortable. The way I was taught to load the magazine and advance a bullet into the chamber was with index and middle finger in a v shape.. none of that side slide TV style stuff. We got any cops on here? they'll know what I'm talking about.. Standard training for a standard police issue weapon. Oh and don't forget the glow in the dark night sights for the graveyard shift
Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Frangible is to pricey for how little stopping power they have
as far as gripping the gun,everyone trains different and unless you practice every day in the end your going to hold it how ever it comes natural.
im firm on the shot gun or revolver.if you get a auto you have to cycle mags and ammo.if you dont your asking for a jam when you need it most.
safes are cheap and you can get one small enough to hide and store a shotgun during the day.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 AM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
sling ****in shot

Quick Reply: Can someone suggest a weapon?