Camera Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
Well thank you guys for the great information... there is a lot to decide on and its going to be tough. I have been doing a lot of research online and checking out packages from target, bestbuy, costco, sams club and ritz camera. They all seem to be about the same from what I can tell. I did see a Nikon D5100 package from Sams Club and Ritz that was going for $850 I believe. I believe there is a difference in the one from Costco which is why its cheaper. I think we are looking at the Nikon D3100 or the Canon T2i package mainly because this is our first real camera.

We just don't want to purchase something that has all these extras on it that we may not even use. Also we want to make sure that we start off "small" and when we become more familiar with the camera and taking pictures and using the features we will then probably look to upgrade.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
Originally Posted by Gancherov
I feel a rant coming on.

If you need that much help choosing an SLR, then you probably don't need/want one.

You don't need the hassle of a removable lens for "all kind of shots" and "trips" photography. SLR systems are bigger, heavier, and harder to use than most pro-sumer level or enthusiast level cameras. Here are some things to consider:

- SLR's expose their sensor every time you take off the lens. Do you know how to swap lenses in rough environments safely?
- Maybe you're really good at swapping, but some dirt will always get in and you will need to clean the sensor eventually (twice a year if you're really careful) Do you know how to clean a sensor? Do you know where you can take it to pay someone (~$50) to clean it for you?
- Do you want to spend all of your life's savings on the lens everyone is going to say you HAVE TO HAVE for sports photos?
- It's going to weigh 10 pounds and take up ~1/2 sq foot MINIMUM to bring your photo gear with you on a trip. Do you want to/can you deal with that? The good sports lens will double or triple this load. And you will need a tripod to balance it on once you realize it's the only way to get steady photos (no, the camera's shake-reduction will not be enough).
- Do you know how to use manual exposure/focus/etc settings? Is it important for you to use these settings when taking MOST of your photos?
- You will likely need to edit your photos to get the same eye-popping results that would come directly out of a less professional level camera. This is because the less pro camera will auto-correct some stuff for you that the pro camera will not.

Or maybe you prefer a camera that is relatively rugged, spits out pretty good photos in 90% of situations, and fits in your bag without problems?

I think you get great shots by being in the right place at the right time. Having a small convenient camera that you can keep with you all the time will get you better photos because you can have it in more places and more times. Think of SLR photography more like being a sniper with a heavy rifle who has to know when his shot will present itself and do whatever it takes to be in position to make the shot. With good pocket-sized camera you can be more like ground troops with tommy guns, run all over the place, shoot a million times, and a few great shots will pop out.

I've seen too many amazing and professional quality photos come out of i-phones and handycams to believe that anyone needs the hassle of an SLR anymore. Here is a good article with relevant info/links: Myth Busted - Digital SLR v/s Non-DSLR ! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hey I appreciate all the help even if you think a rant would start. I do see a lot of "negatives" as far as traveling with it, cleaning it and all in all learing how to properly use it. We have had some decent cameras before and even though they do take pretty good shots, we would like to try a new way of taking pictures with some new equipment.

My wife has been through some photography classes and she knows how to properly change lenses and clean the camera. I on the other hand only know how to change lenses so I will be doing some reading and will probably take some classes as well so I can be more familiar with it.

I understand there is a lot to think about when making a jump from your basic point and shoot cameras to your DSLR camera's and know there are some positives and negatives with both styles, but we are up for trying out something new and hopefully gaining a lot of knowledge from it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I'd first start out by looking at the sony 5n. It's a pretty good all around camera that can be used in manuel mode or p&s. Does well in high iso's and is easy to hold/use.
Images that come out are excellent plus it's the same damn sensor that nikon uses on their cropped bodies.

I'm not a big sony fan but i gotta give that little cam credit. It's on badass cam
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Best site to visit is http://www.dpreview.com/ for reviews
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
I'd suggest a T2i (body only) as well, probably find a used one fairly inexpensive, and then a great all around lens in the for close to your total budget get a used Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD. If you wanted a slighty wider lens you could go with the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II. With that body and faster f2.8 lens options, I think this would get you the best quality images and be able to shoot in lower light situations for your budget.

I know it may be a pain to buy a used set up, but if you are patient I think this kit will be better than any of the kits you'd get new at a Costco, Best Buy, Sams Club, etc. Usually the kit lenses for this level camera are not that great and they are slower lenses f3.5-5.6. adn the glass/lens are just ok. The f2.8 will enable you to shoot in more lighting situations, and still be the sme cost as those kits.

Last edited by adizon; 04-11-2012 at 11:53 PM.