Camera Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
Camera Help!!!

My wife and I are looking to upgrade our camera to a nice Digital SLR and need some help on brand, lenses, cost and what not.

I know we aren't trying to spend a whole lot of money maybe if we could get a nice package with bag, memory card and maybe another lense for 600-800 we would be happy. We would mainly be using the camera for trips, and some sporting events we go too so we would need something that is good for all kind of shots.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated... thx!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
The Sony nex-5 I think it is, Really nice, The NEX-5 or 7
Check those out.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
It is not a DSLR but I am quite happy with my little micro four thirds camera. It was about $600 with the lens and than I got an extra batt. and memory for it.

It is a Panasonic DMC-GF2 here is a review I found for it:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Review: Digital Photography Review
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
i have a canon t2i with battery grip 2 canon batteries canon 18-135 and a 8gb card for about 750
Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
+1 on a Canon T2i for budget. That camera, IMO is a really good deal. If I hadn't bought a Canon 50D, wasnt into photo as much and waited a few years, I would have surely gotten the T2i.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I'm one of the few Nikon people here so I would recommend the D5100 package from Costco. It's a little out of your price range ($950) but it comes with 2 lenses, bag and other stuff.

It has the same sensor as the D7000.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Car Info: '07 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Jodice112
I'm one of the few Nikon people here so I would recommend the D5100 package from Costco. It's a little out of your price range ($950) but it comes with 2 lenses, bag and other stuff.

Yea, helluva a deal.

You can't lose buying a Nikon. Honestly a Canon is just as good. Pick something in your price range, and you won't be disappointed.

I find commonly everything is priced well in DSLRs. You will get the most for your money.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX
Personally I'd stick with Nikon or Canon. They're the leaders for a reason. Not saying sonys or other companies are bad, but i don't think you'll be disappointed with the Nikon or Canons... I shoot Nikon personally
Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Originally Posted by Jodice112

I got that package a little while ago. It is great!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by weaver
Personally I'd stick with Nikon or Canon. They're the leaders for a reason. Not saying sonys or other companies are bad, but i don't think you'll be disappointed with the Nikon or Canons... I shoot Nikon personally
And Sony makes their full frame sensors...

The Nex cams had the best reviews of all the point and shoot cams.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by old.guy
And Sony makes their full frame sensors...

The Nex cams had the best reviews of all the point and shoot cams.
true. but there's still more to it than sensors! but like I said you'll be fine with either
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
The 5100 Package like mentioned before by others has my vote.It is a real good deal for a good camera. I used to shoot the 5000 when it came out and it was nice having a DSLR that was compact and light but still produced wonderful pictures.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I feel a rant coming on.

My wife and I are looking to upgrade our camera to a nice Digital SLR and need some help on brand, lenses, cost and what not.
If you need that much help choosing an SLR, then you probably don't need/want one.

You don't need the hassle of a removable lens for "all kind of shots" and "trips" photography. SLR systems are bigger, heavier, and harder to use than most pro-sumer level or enthusiast level cameras. Here are some things to consider:

- SLR's expose their sensor every time you take off the lens. Do you know how to swap lenses in rough environments safely?
- Maybe you're really good at swapping, but some dirt will always get in and you will need to clean the sensor eventually (twice a year if you're really careful) Do you know how to clean a sensor? Do you know where you can take it to pay someone (~$50) to clean it for you?
- Do you want to spend all of your life's savings on the lens everyone is going to say you HAVE TO HAVE for sports photos?
- It's going to weigh 10 pounds and take up ~1/2 sq foot MINIMUM to bring your photo gear with you on a trip. Do you want to/can you deal with that? The good sports lens will double or triple this load. And you will need a tripod to balance it on once you realize it's the only way to get steady photos (no, the camera's shake-reduction will not be enough).
- Do you know how to use manual exposure/focus/etc settings? Is it important for you to use these settings when taking MOST of your photos?
- You will likely need to edit your photos to get the same eye-popping results that would come directly out of a less professional level camera. This is because the less pro camera will auto-correct some stuff for you that the pro camera will not.

Or maybe you prefer a camera that is relatively rugged, spits out pretty good photos in 90% of situations, and fits in your bag without problems?

I think you get great shots by being in the right place at the right time. Having a small convenient camera that you can keep with you all the time will get you better photos because you can have it in more places and more times. Think of SLR photography more like being a sniper with a heavy rifle who has to know when his shot will present itself and do whatever it takes to be in position to make the shot. With good pocket-sized camera you can be more like ground troops with tommy guns, run all over the place, shoot a million times, and a few great shots will pop out.

I've seen too many amazing and professional quality photos come out of i-phones and handycams to believe that anyone needs the hassle of an SLR anymore. Here is a good article with relevant info/links: Myth Busted - Digital SLR v/s Non-DSLR ! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
My dad got his 5100 also from costco and has been really happy with It. lite weight and small, Doesn't take up a lot of space In his travel bag.
Most Kit lenses will be fine but eventually you will find their limitations, I've owned the Nikon D80 and 90 and have now landed on the D300, I've tried out different lenses that came with my dads kit and other friends of mine but never really liked them and always thought It could be better. I bought a Nikon 18-200 vr lens and have never looked back. Its a pricey lens ( $650 new ) but Its basically an all around lens that covers just about any focal length you'd need while traveling around. I'm not trying to sell anyone on this lens but If you ever start thinking about buying a different lens then find someone that has an 18-200 and give It a shot for the weekend.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 AM

Car Info: 08 impreza OBS
Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
My dad got his 5100 also from costco and has been really happy with It. lite weight and small, Doesn't take up a lot of space In his travel bag.
Most Kit lenses will be fine but eventually you will find their limitations, I've owned the Nikon D80 and 90 and have now landed on the D300, I've tried out different lenses that came with my dads kit and other friends of mine but never really liked them and always thought It could be better. I bought a Nikon 18-200 vr lens and have never looked back. Its a pricey lens ( $650 new ) but Its basically an all around lens that covers just about any focal length you'd need while traveling around. I'm not trying to sell anyone on this lens but If you ever start thinking about buying a different lens then find someone that has an 18-200 and give It a shot for the weekend.
1+
I have a D3100, and it has really great quality (despite it being a beginner one). i agree with him about the 18-200. i recently tried a Tamron AF 18-270mm. Perfect lense for me. it is heavy tho, but i got used to it. Great lens for a "all in one" great quality too. shot my church retreat, which was in the woods so i was running around a lot, and it has VC so it helps with those long range shots. about $600 as well tho

Quick Reply: Camera Help!!!