Camera Flash Ticket, need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Funny. I live in a town with 'photo enforced' intersections AND 'photo enforced' speed (a couple of vans that move all over).

I 'lost' my front plate the day I moved here ~ haven't seen a single ticket in the mail... hmmm?

BTW- NO front plate $10 'fix it' ticket here.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 04' WRB Wagon
I was just talking about this with a co-worker yesterday. She was in the same situation as you. Check the back of your ticket because there might be a website you can go to that will display the video. GL
Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
wow makes me think twice about creeping through
sucks to hear that
good luck
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by iLoqin
If you heard that from an officer then most likely I'm screwed, thx for the info.
Not from an officer, but my friends have gotten red light tickets they've decided to fight and the court provided a 10 second clip of the violation. Obviously, they lost.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I don't see why you'd want to fight it if you ran the red light. i mean, if you ran the red light, you ran the red light. and it's not about the money, people die because of red light runners. Just own up to it if you did it.
That's what I meant by if he stopped, fight it, if he didn't there's no point to try and fight it.

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
wow makes me think twice about creeping through
sucks to hear that
good luck
I never turn right on red at lights I know have red light cameras. I'm too worried the camera is going to screw up on me.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Car Info: subaru sti
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Well obviously it's the weekday, and I live in Sacramento now, but I was down in the Bay Area in Fremont (yea yea I know worse area to be, I even got hit by rossette a few times but anywho my parents live in that city) for the weekend of October 6th and I believe I made a right turn from Mowry onto Cedar? Or Cedar onto Mowry? Not sure, but whatever the case may be they sent me a ticket with one of those camera photos... stating I didn't stop when making a right turn?

So I'm wondering a couple of things.
1. I understand these flashes and their accuracy of people running reds across intersections; however, I was making a right turn. So how can they possibly track if I fully stopped before or after I crept forward?

2. If I stopped at a redlight, and it flashed me as I crept across, stopped again to double check traffic, clear, so I went and flashed me again when starting to move. Then technically it could catch me at any speed while moving through it?

3. Do I have a case to argue not guilty? Or am I just being too optimistic about this ticket?
thought this forum is mostly car topics. I miss the old iclub forum..
Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Not from an officer, but my friends have gotten red light tickets they've decided to fight and the court provided a 10 second clip of the violation. Obviously, they lost.
The cameras do record the video clip. From the moment you trip the initial speed sensor in the road it records. I have had some rather in-depth conversations with my uncle (UCPD) about the cameras.

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I never turn right on red at lights I know have red light cameras. I'm too worried the camera is going to screw up on me.
I do it all the time. I've had the camera go off when I made a complete stop (late braking FTW), and never received a ticket. Don't live in fear of the cameras, that's just plain ol' ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 2011 OBP STi
turning right without stopping on yellow is legal, right? (i'm pretty sure it is, i'm just checking)

Last edited by DeZt; 10-16-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Yes, it is legal to proceed through the intersection while facing a yellow light/arrow. § 21452(a) CVC states that it is merely a warning that the green light period will be ending and a red light will be following shortly.

Last edited by illogical; 10-17-2007 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Nifty "section" symbol added
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Car Info: E46 M. E36 M. E30. SW20. 92 VWCab.08 Civic HYBRID
I got a no stop on red light right turn ticket also in Fremont 2 years ago. On my citation, they had a picture of my face, the rear of the car and a picture of the car after I had made the right. On the top right corner, it displayed my speed as well as the time in seconds. It showed that it took me 2 seconds to get from a to be which obviously proves I didn't do a full stop. This is exactly why I chose not to fight it because i am certain the video would have shot me down. Hope this helps
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
You should fight the ticket.

I assume your ticket was in the 270-361 dollar range?

Since you were making a right turn its a different section than if you just blew straight through the light. If you go to court, right turn on red light = 100 bucks... blowing straight through the intersection is 361 if I remember right.

The cameras are speed based. I saw a guy at the Automall / Grimmer intersection make a U turn on a red arrow late one night... he was going like 2-3mph while making the U turn on red and the camera didn't flash him.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
<snip!>
Since you were making a right turn its a different section than if you just blew straight through the light. If you go to court, right turn on red light = 100 bucks... blowing straight through the intersection is 361 if I remember right.
Actually, that's incorrect. § 21453(b) CVC states the following:
Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.
In all actuality it doesn't matter whether they wrote you up for § 21453 (a) or (b) CVC, because what you did was fail to stop at the limit line, near-side of the crosswalk, or entrance to the intersection. And since (b) is contingent upon you complying with (a)...

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
The cameras are speed based. I saw a guy at the Automall / Grimmer intersection make a U turn on a red arrow late one night... he was going like 2-3mph while making the U turn on red and the camera didn't flash him.
Didn't I say this? The typical (and I use that word loosely) trip speed for the systems is 15mph. Because 2-3mph is significantly less than 15mph the system did not arm and take pictures. I would not suggest people trying to slip through the cameras by going less that 15mph, because not all cameras are setup the same.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Well the judge told us differently when I went to court.

When I went to court the judge stated something like this "Everyone here who received a ticket for failing to stop for a red light making a right hand turn your fine will be reduced to 100 dollars."

I made a right turn on a red light without stopping in Newark (non-camera intersection) and the cop SAW me do it and gave me a ticket. Went to court and the fine got lowered from 361 to 100 bucks.

I know you already mentioned the thing about the speed trip I was only giving my Automall / Grimmer experience as an example.

What it all comes down to is, if the judge can't identify you from the picture you got in the mail you will be dismissed... doesn't matter if your plate is in the picture or not.

In this guys case, if he did come to a complete stop before making the right turn on the red light then he should def fight it. Even if that won't work at least go to court and get it lowered to 100 bucks.

Last edited by stg2lgcy00; 10-17-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Well I'm looking at the ticket, and it has 4 photographs:

1) Before the line
2) after I turned
3) My face in the car
4) my rear plate

The 1st two have times and speeds of 6:00:30 at 17mph and then 6:00:32 at 17mph.

There were cars making lefts turns across the intersection, and at the time I probably noticed that no car was making a U-turn, so I most likely thought that I was safe to turn and didn't do a full complete stop.
The video footage was found after I checked a website on the back. And because the camera was covering the whole intersection my car appeared on the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

What that brings to my mind is that idea of driving like I was riding. out to in to out, and gassing it as I turned. It doesn't show me slowing down before I got to the intersection. If you guys want to take a look at the footage, just PM me and I'll give you the details to view it online for yourselves.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Well, from what you just said it's best to pay it and move on.