camber plates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
you can always talk to racecomp, they have a setup to convert your rear progressive springs to a standard linear spring setup so you can use whatever camber plates you want in the rear
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
They can if you get lowering camber plates. Racecompengineering makes lowering camber plates, and ground control makes top mount camber plates which will lower the car as well as give more bump travel.
this is what it says on their website. apparently they're not recommended for daily driving conditions, especially roads like we have in California

Racecomp Engineering Camber Plates
These front camber platers were designed to be used with a conventional spring, lowering spring or coilover. Made of aircraft grade T6 7075 alloy, these units alow up to -3 degrees camber. These come anodized in motorsport gold and work very well with lowering springs as they lower any car by 3/8" WITHOUT sacrificing suspension travel. Most other camber plates actually raise ride height.

Note: This part is intended for motorsport use on tarmac. Extended use on public roads in urban conditions, potholes, rallycross, and rough terrain may contribute to premature bearing wear or failure.This part is NOT IN STOCK. PLEASE CALL.

Price: $499.00 </EM>
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
this is what it says on their website. apparently they're not recommended for daily driving conditions, especially roads like we have in California

Racecomp Engineering Camber Plates
These front camber platers were designed to be used with a conventional spring, lowering spring or coilover. Made of aircraft grade T6 7075 alloy, these units alow up to -3 degrees camber. These come anodized in motorsport gold and work very well with lowering springs as they lower any car by 3/8" WITHOUT sacrificing suspension travel. Most other camber plates actually raise ride height.

Note: This part is intended for motorsport use on tarmac. Extended use on public roads in urban conditions, potholes, rallycross, and rough terrain may contribute to premature bearing wear or failure.This part is NOT IN STOCK. PLEASE CALL.

Price: $499.00 </EM>
that's all camber plates though
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI, 2004 S2000, 1993 RX7
i think running any kind of camber plates for street use will give you a really ****ty ride quality and wear out your wheel bearings faster.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by STiyLish WRX
i think running any kind of camber plates for street use will give you a really ****ty ride quality and wear out your wheel bearings faster.

The quote is talking about bearings in the camber plate specifcally not the wheel bearings.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM

of course bumpy roads etc. will wear out the bearings in the plates faster, as there's no rubber at all like the stock top hats. It'll give you a harsher ride but instant response(no rubber to squish first). Don't worry. If they use a quality bearing (racecomp, vorschlag, etc. do) then they'll last a long time. I have a couple years on my ground control front and rear camber plates, and they are as solid as the day that I installed them. If they ever do get a lot of play in them, I can just pop them out and put new ones in. Not a big deal at all
Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI, 2004 S2000, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by flatline
The quote is talking about bearings in the camber plate specifcally not the wheel bearings.
oh oops.. read that quote wrong
Old 11-26-2008, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
of course bumpy roads etc. will wear out the bearings in the plates faster, as there's no rubber at all like the stock top hats. It'll give you a harsher ride but instant response(no rubber to squish first). Don't worry. If they use a quality bearing (racecomp, vorschlag, etc. do) then they'll last a long time. I have a couple years on my ground control front and rear camber plates, and they are as solid as the day that I installed them. If they ever do get a lot of play in them, I can just pop them out and put new ones in. Not a big deal at all
Do you suffer any binding on your GC plates? I've never managed to completely cure that (even replaced the assemblies in case they were screwed).
Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM

I just regrease the needle bearings every month or so. I find they start to bind when there's a bunch of rocks up by the needle bearings, so I just clean them when I wash the car. I also put thrust sheets on the lower spring perch but they seem to just attract dirt/rocks more than they help lol