Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Change your exhaust...
Old 09-21-2004, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Just my opinion, but you're going to waste considerable money and time/effort to get your car faster than a lightly modified LS1 Camaro in a straight line race. You'd have a greater chance of making better power if you dropped in a completely new engine in place of the turbo 2.0, at least 2.5 perhaps built up to 2.8 that would put you in the running better than bolt-ons to the 2.0.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by thebankman
Just my opinion, but you're going to waste considerable money and time/effort to get your car faster than a lightly modified LS1 Camaro in a straight line race. You'd have a greater chance of making better power if you dropped in a completely new engine in place of the turbo 2.0, at least 2.5 perhaps built up to 2.8 that would put you in the running better than bolt-ons to the 2.0.
I'd have to agree. The money that you'd spend to beat that ls1 camaro, that owner could dump into their car and blow you away. This guy I know was running 12.2 at 118 in his procharger equiped ls1. Should run 11's, but they wouldn't let him cause the cage he has is bolt in.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally Posted by thebankman
true!!
Go with a racing motor!!!! If you have the money.

But you can still put "bolt on" parts that will still allow you beat most cars on the street. There are a few guys out there that will put little mods on thier "muscle cars"...but not too many. They automatically think because they have a V8, they rule all. They will put intake, exhaust, and some will do alittle more. Not many go too far.

So, if you were to go FMIC, injectors, exhaust, bigger turbo, fuel pump, spark plugs, ect. You can still have a VERY fast 2.0 4 banger, that will kill most cars on the roads. Not saying you will never loose....but you will be very fast.

I think getting a 2.8 racing motor and all supporting mods including stronger tranny... will be more $$$ than putting "bolt on" parts on you wrx. But if you want to go big...a 2.5, 2.65, or 2.8 will be the way to go. All up to how much $$$ you want to spend and how far you want to go with your wrx.

Hell, if someone smokes you in the straights...challange them to the back roads...when you win, you will be tied!!! lol

-freddie

Last edited by 1WRX2NV; 09-21-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
that doesn't really make any sense.. so perhaps the camaro owner should just not bother modifying his car to beat a modified Ferrari and just buy a ferrari?

For something that has half the cylinders keeping up with a modified V8 is not a waste of money. There are plenty of cars under 3 liters making gobs of power. If you can keep up with a 4.8 or 5+ liter V8 with less than 2 liters, then why not?

Most of the bolt ons for Subarus aren't that expensive anymore, but check with anybody that runs a custom built engine. Everything that goes with it including the engine costs an arm and a leg.. (we're building one)

You're talking about light to light runs... which not many cars can keep up with the launch of a AWD, and if you have enough power keep you ahead till the next light, all that power was just spent on spinning tires. But if you're talking about a pure drag car, then it's a different story....