Calling fellow Passport 8500 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Calling fellow Passport 8500 owners.

Do any of you have problems with laser false alarms whenever you go WOT at high RPMs? Whenever I floor it to merge or just go wide open throttle, the damn thing starts chirping at me like crazy and saying I'm being lasered when I'm DEFINITELY not. I tried moving it around on my windshield, but that didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing it's being caused by interference from my ignition system or something. Does this happen to anyone else or is my radar detector just broken?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:30 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by kellie
Do any of you have problems with laser false alarms whenever you go WOT at high RPMs? Whenever I floor it to merge or just go wide open throttle, the damn thing starts chirping at me like crazy and saying I'm being lasered when I'm DEFINITELY not. I tried moving it around on my windshield, but that didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing it's being caused by interference from my ignition system or something. Does this happen to anyone else or is my radar detector just broken?
nope not mine, but I have an X50.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
come on kellie, you are the master tech, you are supposed to know stuff like this
Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 AM

Car Info: it's nice
sounds like a bad connection. Try "not stretching" the chord or possibly buying a new chord.

I have noticed from driving in certain areas consistantly, it does go off at the same time, same spot. It may also be the area.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Perhaps you're moving at the speed of sound and it views oncoming traffic at laser like speed. That's my hypothesis.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:13 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ish
come on kellie, you are the master tech, you are supposed to know stuff like this
Bah, I'm not a radar detector master tech.

And yeah, K and X band will go off in the same areas, but this doesn't happen in the same place every time. It happens when I go wide open throttle whether I'm in Kentucky, Africa, or 880, so I'm really pretty sure it's some sort of interference from my ignition system. I'll try your suggestion, Rocket Man, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll call the Passport people and see if they've got a fix for it.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM

Car Info: Saabaru
do you hear the chirping a lot on the streets? Maybe its a sign to drive slower , ok jk that was lame. But seriously, I really should look into getting a passport 8500
Old 11-17-2005, 12:18 AM

I've had some of the same issues with my Passport 8500, while driving to school (running late usually), and I really start to get that turbo spinning, sometimes it will go off randomly saying "LASER" when I know there aren't any popo for miles. This is the only time I ever see that message, all radar guns I have seen set off the Ka alarm. I think this thing is just getting old. Sometimes I also get the "Service Required" message, but just unplug and plug it back in, works pretty well. (almost as well as throwing something against the wall when it doesn't work)
Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 AM
VIP Member

I only got the "service required" message once about a month and a half ago, and I did what you did. Unplug, plug back in, ignore. Mine is less than a year old, so I'm going to try calling and seeing if there's a fix for it. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem, that means there's a chance that they can do something about it.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi
Gosh, kellie I told you V1's are better
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 2001 Sedona Red OBS / 2016 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by kellie
whats up kellie

i actually have a V1 and i get the laser alarms too that scare the crap out of me some times. on 880 i think i get it between whipple and tennyson, or somewhere around there. on 101 i get it on whipple as well, near that bright @ss titantron on a screen

but yea i get that laser warnigns too and wonder as well

rad
Old 11-17-2005, 12:15 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I used to get that with my cobra...WOT would always start making K go off

I don't get it with the V1 though.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2001 Sedona Red OBS / 2016 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
I don't get it with the V1 though.
how old is your V1? got mine back in january and they want me to send it in for an upgrade.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by Rad One
how old is your V1? got mine back in january and they want me to send it in for an upgrade.
I got mine upgraded in june or july I think

I am pretty sure its the newest one, I do have to check up on it though.

If you do not have the latest one, u should upgrade though, their updates are usually critical
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
HAhhaha, no, on Miki's passport we get false laser readings when we turn on the windshield wipers... Scares the crap out of me every time!

Quick Reply: Calling fellow Passport 8500 owners.