Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
adn put heat reflective, hi temp tape on the piping
Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
Originally Posted by pacific17
please post a diy..
agreed. diy writeup needed.

btw, what you got hiding in that fender?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
You guys are gonna laugh, but the piping is actually made for a 94-97 Honda Accord intake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...s#ht_770wt_939

Simply take the intake and sorta dry fit it to your liking. The end that goes into the fender is a bit too long, so you need to cut a bit of it off.

The end result should look like this:
Name:  DSC00437.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  142.7 KB

However, I went for a more cleaner approach, and my way, you can use the stock fender plug. Simply cut the intake into 2 pieces and put a silicone coupler in the middle.

I'm not sure how the engine bay of the newer bodies are, but it's pretty simple to measure, cut, and/or make modifications to the design. Also, don't forget to add some sort of hosing around the end of the intake. This will eliminate rattles (mine rattled like a *****). I used rubber fuel tubing, slit one side, and wrapped it around the hole. The intake tubing is super snug.

Credit goes over to the guys at rs25.com

And I'm not sure what you mean by what's hiding in the fender. The intake is just basically aluminum tubing (I know of people who've used 3" intercooler tubing) routed from the torque box to the fender hole. The panel filter is located inside your torque box (the big black box).

Last edited by dSpec; 08-08-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza Outback Sport
Yep, you maintain the stock intake box and your stock filter location, you can even hold on to your stock intake to swap back for smog cause it is definitely an issue where you live, assuming sf is frisco. Some people have gone even further, in the name of bigger power, and grafted a 3" elbow into their airbox, the older models have an, i think, 2.25" elbow, so it can restrict how much air it can take in. The torque box debate is just that, a debate, no real dyno proof either way, at least that i've seen. I still think you have MAF on your car, i am fairly sure they went back to MAF after 2003 on the ej251, but then again with maf its a ej253..... anyways, if that is the case, you will need to graft an additional t into their because you want to maintain your MAF resonator, loosing it can make your car run sluggishly, or, if you somehow manage to drive around at almost WOT under 2k rpms, it can cumulatively run you lean, no bueno. If you want to spread out the mods though, any basic tuning can be done to remove the resonator and ensure you a/f stays nice and pretty, just more food for thought. RS25.com has vast amounts of resources for our n/a subies, i spend a lot of time there and plug them often. There was a nasioc topic on these intakes as well, including the a/f issue, so research it if you want, just don't talk on nasioc too much, you may risk being infected by their ignorance and douchebaggery, lol. Anyways ill stop typing now, peace.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
so you didnt put the filter that came with the honda kit in the fender?

Originally Posted by dSpec
You guys are gonna laugh, but the piping is actually made for a 94-97 Honda Accord intake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...s#ht_770wt_939

Simply take the intake and sorta dry fit it to your liking. The end that goes into the fender is a bit too long, so you need to cut a bit of it off.

The end result should look like this:

However, I went for a more cleaner approach, and my way, you can use the stock fender plug. Simply cut the intake into 2 pieces and put a silicone coupler in the middle.

I'm not sure how the engine bay of the newer bodies are, but it's pretty simple to measure, cut, and/or make modifications to the design. Also, don't forget to add some sort of hosing around the end of the intake. This will eliminate rattles (mine rattled like a *****). I used rubber fuel tubing, slit one side, and wrapped it around the hole. The intake tubing is super snug.

Credit goes over to the guys at rs25.com

And I'm not sure what you mean by what's hiding in the fender. The intake is just basically aluminum tubing (I know of people who've used 3" intercooler tubing) routed from the torque box to the fender hole. The panel filter is located inside your torque box (the big black box).
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Nope, there's a panel filter in the box already. No point in running 2.