CA Law makers trying to overturn results of Prop 8!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Lboogie
Federal Court won't touch it, this is a State's rights issue...
The current federal supreme court probably won't hear it, but I wouldn't bet against a more progressive SC in the future taking it up because of the 9th amendment argument.

State's rights do not trump the US constitution.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo

Let me ask you something. How often do you go to different churches?
Lets see. I went to bible college. I served in various churches across california both as an intern and directly with junior high and high school kids for about 8 years. Youth camps. College camps. Etc. I've got friends that are pastors all over the country. I traveled in a choir to churches up and down california. I have done public speaking at several churches and high schools.... I've been to a LOT of churches.

Many do get involved with politics. The one I spent the most time at did so a lot and I didn't agree with it. They even had handouts on how to vote. So I'm not saying that all churches stay out of it. I also don't think that its wrong for a pastor to say here's what I think, here's an outline of the bills and what each side is saying...etc etc. I just don't think it should be done from the pulpit. And you're damn right... way too many people would run off a cliff full speed because their pastor says so. Without thinking on their own and without looking at what the bible says about it.

I'm not ignorant. And it's not brainwashing.

I thought it was far more disgusting that they used sounds of abuse and abuse as a bases for why dr.'s shouldn't have to tell parents their 13 year old daughter is getting an abortion. I'm sorry but a friggin minor is a friggin minor. I came from an abusive household and I still think ANY parent should know if a dr. is about to touch their child. Dr's are way way to much influence in making a decision for a minor and no teenager has the ability to make that decision alone or be equipped for a lifetime of the aftermath.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by brucelee
I was just watching CNN:

Apparently law makers are trying to overturn the results of prop 8 because they want equality, and they claim that CA voters cannot make such a big change to a state law.

Sorry, I dont have a link, but thats pretty much what they said verbatim.

First off, this is the second time the people voted against it and won. The first time around it was overturned which is total BS, whats the point of even having a democracy if the people can't vote and win on an issue that the majority wants to have changed?

I don't give a rats *** if a gay couple wants to be married, more power to them, but if the majority of people voted against it, not once, but TWICE, well then I'm sorry.

Before anyone jumps in and says "How would you feel if the majority of folks voted to ban guns?"... Gun ownership is specifically protected in the constitution, if they tried to ban guns all over the US there would be a massive revolt and the USA would no longer be the USA... Sorry for the hijack at the end there...

PS: I posted this in BAIC because it's a CA specific issue and not many people venture into the politics forum
You have to remember that just becuase people want it, it is not constitutionally valid. If you could simply overrule the constitution with a vote, the second amendment would have been overturned quite some time ago.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by scoo*B
EXACTLY...you lost, quit *****ing...thats what the vote is for
If everytime someone quit on their beliefs becuase someone disagreed with them we would be living in a very different world. I will continue to fight for what I believe in using any legal means necessary.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Car Info: Car
We'd still have segregation if we'd went by popular vote. Think about it.

It is under review because the masses are not always right.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by jewpac42
If everytime someone quit on their beliefs becuase someone disagreed with them we would be living in a very different world. I will continue to fight for what I believe in using any legal means necessary.
word. that's the basis of a democracy and "free" society.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

That is very true. Also, as someone posted earlier, if you didn't vote, you can't complain.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Ipecac
Just FYI

This was a vote to change the constitution. Same could be done to ban guns.

Also, the same thing was done during the civil rights movement.
This is a VERY important point right here. Remove yourself from the gay marriage issue and ask yourself if the the state or federal constitution should be amendable by a popular vote. Because I can assure you that if it were put to a popular vote today after as many 'Columbines' that we've had, the majority of people in this country would vote to ammend the second amendment.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

this is EXACTLY the point.

Unfortunately, democracy is not perfect, you might have even heard the phrase ""Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for lunch." and this is no more apparent than when it comes to one group having control over others rights.

You think womans sufferage would have passed if it was left up to a vote??

You think we would have had civil rights in the 60s if it were left up to a vote??

Hell, you think the slaves would have been free if it were left to a popular vote??

No, for as enlightened and freedom loving we always like to think our our country is, EVERY major advance in civil rights took a mandate, and it was NEVER taken easily, hell we had a WAR in this country over giving other human beings basic human rights, thats how far people will go to resist change and progress.

I can honestly say on this veterans day, thats NOT the country my grandfather died for.

Last edited by Krinkov; 11-11-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
You have to remember that just becuase people want it, it is not constitutionally valid. If you could simply overrule the constitution with a vote, the second amendment would have been overturned quite some time ago.
yeah you beat me to it, the point was this should never have even made it onto the ballot and every lawmaker new that. But you cant stop a proposition from just getting onto the ballot .thats why its called a 'proposition', not 'guarantee'. And this is the way it works with EVERY prop, once voted on they all still have to be approved by the legislature / California supreme court. If they are found to be in violation with the state constitution they will most likely be overturned.

Last edited by Krinkov; 11-11-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Krinkov
...this is the way it works with EVERY prop, once voted on they all still have to be approved by the legislature / California supreme court. If they are found to be in violation with the state constitution they will most likely be overturned.

If it were just a law proposition like prop 215 or most of the other recent propositions and initiatives, you'd be right Jeremy, but this was for a constitutional amendment, and the boneheads who put together California's constitution really screwed the pooch with this little pair of items;

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 18 AMENDING AND REVISING THE CONSTITUTION

SEC. 3. The electors may amend the Constitution by initiative.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 18 AMENDING AND REVISING THE CONSTITUTION

SEC. 4. A proposed amendment or revision shall be submitted to the
electors and if approved by a majority of votes thereon takes effect
the day after the election unless the measure provides otherwise. If
provisions of 2 or more measures approved at the same election
conflict, those of the measure receiving the highest affirmative vote
shall prevail.

i.e. if there had been a counter measure initiative that passed, which ever of the two got the most popular votes- even by as little as 1 vote- would have to become the law of the land- no matter how ill-advised, mean-spirited or badly worded.

Last edited by psoper; 11-11-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by psoper
If it were just a law proposition like prop 215 or most of the other recent propositions and initiatives, you'd be right Jeremy, but this was for a constitutional amendment, and the boneheads who put together California's constitution really screwed the pooch with this little pair of items;
Ugh, are you serious?? How the hell was it called a prop?? so I guess its up to the supreme court now
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
I saw this on myspace earlier, its a petition to ban divorce to protect the union of marriage between a man and a woman.

Hella funny but imagine if they did ban Divorce, it sure would make people evaluate who they decide to marry a little more carefully and beat off the money hungry gold diggin hoes. I think they meant to shock the people who voted yes on prop 8, but I kinda would like to see this pass, LMAO!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/pro...ohibit-divorce
Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
at least someone gets it

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ton-john_N.htm

NEW YORK — Sir Elton John, accompanied by his longtime partner David Furnish, had some choice words about California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage that passed on Nov. 4.

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

John and Furnish, and their two cocker spaniels Marilyn and Arthur, were in town for Monday's annual benefit for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," said John. "The word marriage, I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

The dinner, held at Cipriani Wall Street, was hosted by CNN's Anderson Cooper and featured a performance from Gladys Knight. John's foundation gets a four-star rating, the highest available, from CharityNavigator.com and John, in his speech, called for the enactment of a national AIDS policy.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | California | England | West Coast | Oscar | East Coast | Proposition | Arthur | Windsor | Anderson Cooper | Gladys Knight | Marilyn | David Furnish | Elton John AIDS Foundation | Cipriani Wall Street

What does the annual gala mean to him? "It means we get to see our friends on the East Coast who support us so much. It's a staple event for us on our calendar in America. We do the Oscar party on the West Coast and we do this on the East Coast," he said.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
at least someone gets it

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ton-john_N.htm

NEW YORK — Sir Elton John, accompanied by his longtime partner David Furnish, had some choice words about California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage that passed on Nov. 4.

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

John and Furnish, and their two cocker spaniels Marilyn and Arthur, were in town for Monday's annual benefit for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," said John. "The word marriage, I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

The dinner, held at Cipriani Wall Street, was hosted by CNN's Anderson Cooper and featured a performance from Gladys Knight. John's foundation gets a four-star rating, the highest available, from CharityNavigator.com and John, in his speech, called for the enactment of a national AIDS policy.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | California | England | West Coast | Oscar | East Coast | Proposition | Arthur | Windsor | Anderson Cooper | Gladys Knight | Marilyn | David Furnish | Elton John AIDS Foundation | Cipriani Wall Street

What does the annual gala mean to him? "It means we get to see our friends on the East Coast who support us so much. It's a staple event for us on our calendar in America. We do the Oscar party on the West Coast and we do this on the East Coast," he said.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Double post. Don't we already have a thread in political forum about this?

Quick Reply: CA Law makers trying to overturn results of Prop 8!