CA Law makers trying to overturn results of Prop 8!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Exactly, I think the idea is "civil union". I believe most of the same benefits would apply. Its called compromise, if you want something, sometimes you have to give up something as well.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5i
Losing our right to choose the methods by which we are governed is a far greater loss than not allowing gays to marry.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
If this starts to get a lot of media attention, get ready for churches to start fighting it again.

The reason why Prop 8 passed, was because a lot of churches are brainwashing their congregation. This SHOULD take away their non-profit tax exemption status, since it's illegal. My best friend and his girl are getting in huge arguments over it right now, while both of them are christians, my best friend doesn't know how he would have voted if he did go to the polls, and probably would have abstained, while his girl is pissed that he wouldn't automatically vote yes because she's been brainwashed.

And this whole overturning business is BS. It was voted on, it lost, get over it. Stop crying like when Bush won the election even though he didn't get the popular vote. Wait until it can be put up for voting again, and try again.
I wouldn't call it brainwashing. It's just what they believe in.

The whole taking away tax benefits is stupid. It's NEVER going to happen to churches. They are private NPOs, they cannot lose that benefit if they choose to not marry gay people, that's is their right as a private organization. We went through with this with the Boy Scouts of America not allowing Gay leaders. The US Supreme Court said they are a private organization and they can do as they like. The same is with churches.

This a 100% a legal, civil issue. Wether a gay couple can go to court and get married by a judge. Anything else is ****ing lie and bull****, I'm sorry. "yes" on 8 people would only have to put up with gay people being married, that's it, nothing was going to happen to churches themselves.

Again, if a church doesn't want to marry a gay couple, it's their right.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
If this starts to get a lot of media attention, get ready for churches to start fighting it again.

The reason why Prop 8 passed, was because a lot of churches are brainwashing their congregation. This SHOULD take away their non-profit tax exemption status, since it's illegal. My best friend and his girl are getting in huge arguments over it right now, while both of them are christians, my best friend doesn't know how he would have voted if he did go to the polls, and probably would have abstained, while his girl is pissed that he wouldn't automatically vote yes because she's been brainwashed.

And this whole overturning business is BS. It was voted on, it lost, get over it. Stop crying like when Bush won the election even though he didn't get the popular vote. Wait until it can be put up for voting again, and try again.

WTF are you talking about? Most churches stay far far away from anything political. Saying churches are brainwashing their congregation would be akin to me saying your views don't matter because you've been brainwashed by the media.

The reason... the ONLY reason prop 8 passed is because more people voted for it. PERIOD. Want it to fail next time... get more liberals to vote.

only thing that made sense is the last paragraph.

As for your friends. Tell them they need to get over it. My wife and eye don't agree on this prop. We discuss it and think they other one is wrong. Doesn't mean its worth fighting about. You will NEVER agree on everything. The healthy thing to do is discuss it and get input from each other. Though my wife and I disagree I appreciate and agree with her reasoning. I just have my own.

I won't even get in to my views because it doesn't matter. Bottom line. Its over. Wait til' next year.

This is why people vote. If you didn't vote and you're complaining about which way the vote went... STFU. Just like if you spent the last 8 years *****ing and didn't vote against bush... STFU. Your opinion is mute.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
It makes me want to rank the street walkers on the same level of the immature boo people at McCains speech of defeat.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I dunno Ray, if that was the case then we could still be seeing segragation and racism everywhere in a legal sense. Sometimes leaving it for voters doesn't work, cause in the 60s, if you put up desegragation up for vote, it would lose every time...

I think we should just leave it up to the supreme court of CA. Its the courts job to interpret law and that includes the states constitution.
I don't think that's true. Change was coming. Just like now. Change is coming.

I agree with what their job is but its been voted on twice. People aren't voting to say gays can't vote, be gay, drink out of water fountains or sit anywhere they want on the bus. This isn't the same what so ever.

This is about marriage. The benefits of marriage are available to gay couples. Just stay together long enough. Hell I think that strait married couple should have to live together long enough to be called common law to get the benefits. Maybe help a few couples get through those tough first years.

anyways... marriage was created mainly to have a way to protect lands, transfer ownership. Dowry's. Keep powerful families powerful. Etc. In the 1500's it became about a priest and witnesses.. modern marriage. Those are available to gay couples. Hell getting married is. It's just not "legal"

My thing is this... who cares. Seems to me that the word marriage doesn't mean **** to people these days anyways.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
My thing is this... who cares. Seems to me that the word marriage doesn't mean **** to people these days anyways.
looks like the people that voted yes care.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Old School

I don't think that's true. Change was coming. Just like now. Change is coming.

I agree with what their job is but its been voted on twice. People aren't voting to say gays can't vote, be gay, drink out of water fountains or sit anywhere they want on the bus. This isn't the same what so ever.

This is about marriage. The benefits of marriage are available to gay couples. Just stay together long enough. Hell I think that strait married couple should have to live together long enough to be called common law to get the benefits. Maybe help a few couples get through those tough first years.

anyways... marriage was created mainly to have a way to protect lands, transfer ownership. Dowry's. Keep powerful families powerful. Etc. In the 1500's it became about a priest and witnesses.. modern marriage. Those are available to gay couples. Hell getting married is. It's just not "legal"

Still matters though, still a legal issue in terms of gay couples being able to be recognized as married and all the legal benefits as a straight couple. This is what it boil down to, that's legal stuff, and the state can't discriminate.

People will always vote how they want to, doesn't mean it's right. But I feel the people have spoken, and the courts need to interpret the law, and make a decision, and that should be the end of it until people actually vote in favor of gay marriage.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
looks like the people that voted yes care.
But not enough did. Bottom line.

Lots of people say one thing but either don't vote or aren't voting for what they say they're voting for.

Sorry... just not a fan of people saying the majority opinion doesn't matter.

Rewrite the bill and come back next year.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
If they overturn this and win through Federal help then almost every other Prop befre will have to be overturned as well. So basically what will happen is We The People of California will loose our right to vote and pick whether or not we want something done. All the power will be up to Sacramento and then we will be voiceless. Think about it people This is the 2nd attempt and it failed yet again. There is no one higher then the Supreme Court, and we overturned the Supreme Court So next step is to take it to Federal Court, not good I'm sorry but we already made up our minds as a State, now face it and live with the consequences. Not a matter of Right versus Wrong, it is a matter of not winning this Proposal THE END.

-Gio
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by PenguinPrincess
I honestly think some people were confused when they were voting. I was talking to people and they seemed to think that if you support gay marriage, you vote yes...YES for gay marriage. But that's not the case...
If people are THAT STUPID that they can't read the paragraph right on their ballot, then I have no pity for them.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:14 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I wouldn't call it brainwashing. It's just what they believe in.

The whole taking away tax benefits is stupid. It's NEVER going to happen to churches. They are private NPOs, they cannot lose that benefit if they choose to not marry gay people, that's is their right as a private organization. We went through with this with the Boy Scouts of America not allowing Gay leaders. The US Supreme Court said they are a private organization and they can do as they like. The same is with churches.
I'm not saying whether they can choose to marry gay people or not, I'm saying that churches were advocating for prop 8, and people ended up saying "vote for prop 8 because my pastor said so".

WTF are you talking about? Most churches stay far far away from anything political. Saying churches are brainwashing their congregation would be akin to me saying your views don't matter because you've been brainwashed by the media.

The reason... the ONLY reason prop 8 passed is because more people voted for it. PERIOD. Want it to fail next time... get more liberals to vote.

only thing that made sense is the last paragraph.

As for your friends. Tell them they need to get over it. My wife and eye don't agree on this prop. We discuss it and think they other one is wrong. Doesn't mean its worth fighting about. You will NEVER agree on everything. The healthy thing to do is discuss it and get input from each other. Though my wife and I disagree I appreciate and agree with her reasoning. I just have my own.

I won't even get in to my views because it doesn't matter. Bottom line. Its over. Wait til' next year.

This is why people vote. If you didn't vote and you're complaining about which way the vote went... STFU. Just like if you spent the last 8 years *****ing and didn't vote against bush... STFU. Your opinion is mute.
Let me ask you something. How often do you go to different churches? I'm a christian, and I've been to multiple churches. I also interact with a lot of christians on a daily basis, and honestly, the way they react to prop 8 shows they have been brainwashed. You can talk to them all you want about it, and they'll say "my pastor said this, my pastor said that." How the heck can you not call that brainwashing? You'd be surprised how many churches do not stay away from politics.

Hell, there was a really good news article few years ago about how people were scared of saying anything at church because they voted for democrat which the church basically said "your not christian if you vote democrat." A pastor lost over 1/3 of his congregation after he preached a message with the general message saying "Just because you're christian does NOT mean you have to vote republican."

Also, I've never argued against Bush, I'm only bringing it up as another example of when people wouldn't stop crying about how a vote went. Plus, I wasn't even 18, so I couldn't even vote in either election for or against Bush. So yes, my opinion about the whole Bush era is moot.

I'm just stating my opinion, and after this explanation you still think it's way off target, that's your choice. Like you said, people won't agree on everything.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 07 specB
Originally Posted by East Bay STI
If they overturn this and win through Federal help then almost every other Prop befre will have to be overturned as well. So basically what will happen is We The People of California will loose our right to vote and pick whether or not we want something done. All the power will be up to Sacramento and then we will be voiceless. Think about it people This is the 2nd attempt and it failed yet again. There is no one higher then the Supreme Court, and we overturned the Supreme Court So next step is to take it to Federal Court, not good I'm sorry but we already made up our minds as a State, now face it and live with the consequences. Not a matter of Right versus Wrong, it is a matter of not winning this Proposal THE END.

-Gio
EXACTLY...you lost, quit *****ing...thats what the vote is for
Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D

-Gio
Federal Court won't touch it, this is a State's rights issue. If the bill didn't pass in California, there is no WAY it would get a national thumbs up. The Supreme Court would have to be appointed full of drug addled trannies for it to give a thumbs up to gay rights A La Civil Rights in the 60's.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Old School

-Gio
US Supreme Court won't even look at it, if they look at it, holy crap, look out! Going to be some pissed off hicks

Quick Reply: CA Law makers trying to overturn results of Prop 8!