CA Law makers trying to overturn results of Prop 8!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by En3D
I voted no on 8. But I vote almost every single election, the funny part about this is that young, liberal people that I know... many of them didn't vote. It was this excuse and that excuse. When we start talking about prop 8, they start saying how can it not pass, blah blah blah.

Ah may be it's because you didn't vote.

I was talking to my wife before the elections and told her I think 8 will pass. She looked at me and said no way, we live in CA. Well yes, but with Obama running, and all the money and the churches' influence, prop 8 stands a very strong chance of winning.

Question, if you post No on 8, did you actually go out and vote against 8? If not you are part of the reason why it passed and shouldn't say a word about it.
I know some liberal brats like that...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Old School

Exactly my point. People are STUPID to have been doing this in liberal areas... those areas are already going to vote you're way. Need to get out into the areas where people are probably going to vote yes on 8, and try to fight that.

But Seriously, other than SF and Berkeley, I didn't see no on 8 ANYWHERE ELSE. Anywhere in the east bay or the peninsula, but on my way to Vegas, driving though the valley, and Bakersfield, 3 different intersections on Saturday the 1st on Scottsdale hwy, HUGE yes on 8 folks at all 4 corners...

Of course they won. No on 8 folks did NOT try hard enough.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
Originally Posted by brucelee
Before anyone jumps in and says "How would you feel if the majority of folks voted to ban guns?"... Gun ownership is specifically protected in the constitution, if they tried to ban guns all over the US there would be a massive revolt and the USA would no longer be the USA... Sorry for the hijack at the end there...

Just FYI

This was a vote to change the constitution. Same could be done to ban guns.

Also, the same thing was done durring the civil rights movement.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by PenguinPrincess
I honestly think some people were confused when they were voting. I was talking to people and they seemed to think that if you support gay marriage, you vote yes...YES for gay marriage. But that's not the case...
those people shouldnt be allowed to vote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
this will continue to happen until the "gay marriage" people understand that as soon as you say "gay" and Marriage" you will **** off the entire religious base, and they will come out in droves to vote.

they need to put on a ballot to allow civil unions the same rights as a Marriage in the state.

next we need to abolish the state recognizing any and all marriages(gay or straight), that's for the church and not the state to decide.

seperation of church and state.. and all that jazz.

also, in Sac, there were tons of No on 8 protesters. One weekend, both sides decided to protest on the same major intersection in town. there were fights and almost a small riot.

good times!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
this will continue to happen until the "gay marriage" people understand that as soon as you say "gay" and Marriage" you will **** off the entire religious base, and they will come out in droves to vote.

they need to put on a ballot to allow civil unions the same rights as a Marriage in the state.

next we need to abolish the state recognizing any and all marriages(gay or straight), that's for the church and not the state to decide.

seperation of church and state.. and all that jazz.

also, in Sac, there were tons of No on 8 protesters. One weekend, both sides decided to protest on the same major intersection in town. there were fights and almost a small riot.

good times!
Agreed.

It should be civil unions for everyone, religions can keep marriage for all I care.

Separation of church and state damn it!

lets get the stuff off coins and bills while we are at it and out of the pledge too. Back to the ways things were before people got all crazy, like McCarthy...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
A vote is a vote is a vote. PERIOD. wait til next year. Rewrite it and do it again. The courts overturning public VOTES is wrong. That is all that's keeping us a democracy right now. If this crap is allowed and ELECTED officials decide public votes don't matter then we're hosed.

Agree or disagree... votes a vote.

Want to change it. Get people to vote.

Supporting elected officials overturning the voters that got them in their chairs in the first place is the truly ignorant choice.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
If they overturn the voted on ballot measure, it was all just a circle jerk that wasted a ton of time, money, and created lotsa drama.

I voted No on 8; am not pissy that it passed, just concerned that the will of the voters to have their part in creating law is subject to nullification. The last time I checked that is one of the things that makes this a republic of democracy. If there were "loopholes" to be found, the research was not done correctly and now CA looks even nuttier.

feh

Last edited by Lboogie; 11-11-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
If this starts to get a lot of media attention, get ready for churches to start fighting it again.

The reason why Prop 8 passed, was because a lot of churches are brainwashing their congregation. This SHOULD take away their non-profit tax exemption status, since it's illegal. My best friend and his girl are getting in huge arguments over it right now, while both of them are christians, my best friend doesn't know how he would have voted if he did go to the polls, and probably would have abstained, while his girl is pissed that he wouldn't automatically vote yes because she's been brainwashed.

And this whole overturning business is BS. It was voted on, it lost, get over it. Stop crying like when Bush won the election even though he didn't get the popular vote. Wait until it can be put up for voting again, and try again.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 07 specB
my question: do we have to deal with these ****ing marches for the next 4 years...bunch of sore Fn losers. funny how i talked to and saw WAY more people all NO on 8 and it still passes...L.O.L!

dont flame me...NO lost, deal with it
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
For the record the verbage was added to the constitution defining marraige as between a man and a woman if I am not mistaken that was prop 22. So no on 8 stands to overturn what was added to the constitution. Everyone in the no on 8 bandwagon should calm down. At the rate homosexuality is being crammed down the heterosexual throat it will pass by huge margins in another few years.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
im sick of all the signs that are still popping up...people wont take them down and they are a real eyesore, no matter if youre YES or NO.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
A vote is a vote is a vote. PERIOD. wait til next year. Rewrite it and do it again. The courts overturning public VOTES is wrong. That is all that's keeping us a democracy right now. If this crap is allowed and ELECTED officials decide public votes don't matter then we're hosed.

Agree or disagree... votes a vote.

Want to change it. Get people to vote.

Supporting elected officials overturning the voters that got them in their chairs in the first place is the truly ignorant choice.
I dunno Ray, if that was the case then we could still be seeing segragation and racism everywhere in a legal sense. Sometimes leaving it for voters doesn't work, cause in the 60s, if you put up desegragation up for vote, it would lose every time...

I think we should just leave it up to the supreme court of CA. Its the courts job to interpret law and that includes the states constitution.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
^^ Agreed! I think people need to realize that California has voted, and this was the outcome. As many of you have mentioned, if this change is to be pursued further, its time to change the terminology so that everyone is happy. I do think it is wrong to grant someone a right, and then take it away from them months later.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
speaking of terminology...why dont they just find a word to replace Marriage? it probably wouldve passed. Being able to call your partner husband or wife should be the least of their worries if i were in their shoes.

I just think the prop wasnt written very well, which was a reason for all the confusion and a yes win.

Santa Cruz had like 75% No in case anyone was wondering. So they wasted a lot of time advertising it there...but you cant blame them...i wouldn't bother going into central valley hickville with a NO sign.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 11-11-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: CA Law makers trying to overturn results of Prop 8!