Buying a Z3 M Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Car Info: BMW X5M. No more twinscroll LGT
Buying a Z3 M Roadster

Yikes, a BMW!

Was initially looking for a miata, then that changed to an S2000...and now I've settled on buying a 2000 Z3 M Roadster.

Always wanted a convertible and always wanted to own an M3. So this gets me there in both ways.

It's white, has even had the evil subframe replacement done (wow, subframe tearing issues from the factory), has new tires, well maintained and will be tons of fun.

Will be fun to learn what this "ultimate driving experience" is all about.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
All I can say is don't settle for an '00 - if you get an '01 or '02 you get the MUCH more awesome S54 engine from the same year M3. Either way, a really nice car but the '00 has something like almost 90 less hp I think... Sorry - memory.

Convertibles are really great - I miss mine.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
paging Egan to this thread.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
All I can say is don't settle for an '00 - if you get an '01 or '02 you get the MUCH more awesome S54 engine from the same year M3. Either way, a really nice car but the '00 has something like almost 90 less hp I think....

Yea, I know...I'm leaving a good chunk of power on the table with the 2000. I'll probably always kick myself in the rear for not going for an '01 or '02, but at the price I'm getting this for, think I can mentally get over missing that extra power.

Maybe I won't though. Then I'll have to spend $7k for a Dinan Supercharger and then I'll end up hating the car, parting it out, and starting the cycle all over again as I do time and time again.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:05 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by atc5
Yea, I know...I'm leaving a good chunk of power on the table with the 2000. I'll probably always kick myself in the rear for not going for an '01 or '02, but at the price I'm getting this for, think I can mentally get over missing that extra power.

Maybe I won't though. Then I'll have to spend $7k for a Dinan Supercharger and then I'll end up hating the car, parting it out, and starting the cycle all over again as I do time and time again.
Do it right the first time then. Don't settle. And welcome to the dark side
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
check the rear subframe... dont buy one with rust. s52 motors are nice, but dont make as much power... but s54 engines need valve adjustments.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM

yea, rear subframe was entirely re-done this summer by bmw (outsourced to a body shop of course)

the guy selling the car was aware of the issue and had it taken care of as part of the subframe class action lawsuit settlement
Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by dorifto88
...but s54 engines need valve adjustments.
...And some early versions like to eject their guts out the side of the block at high RPM...
Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
...And some early versions like to eject their guts out the side of the block at high RPM...
and dont forget to check the rear diff that tends to tear off... most people get a reinforced "rabbit ear" diff
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
Why be afraid of BMW? As a BMW mechanic, they are great cars and I love working on them. The S52 is a strong motor that needs very little, and the work it will need is basic and very easy. My wife used to own a Z3 Coupe which was one of the funnest cars to drive/track, but the Coupe is 3 times more rigid then the roadsters. . .nevertheless its a fun and very reliable car, hell James Bond drove one.

The subframes were a rare issue but it happens, I would suggest getting the Ireland Engineering subframe bushings which help the stress. Just maintain the car and it will last, I've seen these engines with for than 200k that were taken care of and run strong.

Any questions let me know, and congrats!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
my buddy just bought a z4 m coupe, and damn that thing handles well out of the box.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by IHeartE30s
Why be afraid of BMW? As a BMW mechanic, they are great cars and I love working on them. The S52 is a strong motor that needs very little, and the work it will need is basic and very easy. My wife used to own a Z3 Coupe which was one of the funnest cars to drive/track, but the Coupe is 3 times more rigid then the roadsters. . .nevertheless its a fun and very reliable car, hell James Bond drove one.

The subframes were a rare issue but it happens, I would suggest getting the Ireland Engineering subframe bushings which help the stress. Just maintain the car and it will last, I've seen these engines with for than 200k that were taken care of and run strong.

yes x10000 on the subframe. when i had one, i went to edge to get it inspected
Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by IHeartE30s
Thanks for the insight!

Will pickup the Ireland Eng. subframe bushings and install them soon.

Really looking forward to driving this thing.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I got the STI instead of the Z3, I was dead set on 01-02 only. I had MANY dealers try to talk me out of it and finally gave up and went subaru.

Oh and if you do get a s54 make sure they did the recall service on the connecting rod bearings
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
my dad just sold his 00 z3 coupe and replaced it with a 06 z4 m coupe...i learned stick in the z3, and did sooo many crazy things in that car, so much fun, we drove on 17 (me in my wrx and my dad in the z3) and we were pretty even the whole way

hes had the z4m for a month or two now, drove it once...fast as funk but didnt get to test the handles

love the cars, enjoy and good luck...join bmwcca and come to the marina auto-x

Quick Reply: Buying a Z3 M Roadster