Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Thumbs up

i like my caliper color ! nothing beats Vintage Grey ! hahahahahah
Old 04-11-2005, 11:05 PM

Car Info: 03 Legacy GT Wagon
Paint them don't listen to those other *****....if it looks good to you than go for it. Rice is nice. I don't understand why you guys pick on RICE? Everyone has done RICE at one time or another.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
We paint rotor hats and calipers for customers all the time. A little time and a few bucks is all it takes. Hell, I have done it on the car twice, and it came out clean. Pull the pads out, clean the caliper real good with break cleaner, make a masking guard with cardboard that you can hold, and shoot away. It makes rusty or stained OEM parts look decent. I always paint em with high temp black. When you have nice wheels, the stock calipers look jacked. If you are replacing the pads, lines, and/or rotors, this is the perfect time to do it.

Rice away, I won't hate.
-Kevin
Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx, 05 Elise, 14 Impreza, 17 brz coming soon
ive painted my calipers red on my black car~ since i have red i-club sticker, red rear 04 tailights, rear custom red german license plate under real license plate, some red interior parts, and of course the famous red edo sushi decal on top of my tinted window hoho.. Yea guess im a ricer also. Love red on black.

only costed me about 5 bucks for high temp paint from kragen, and about 1 hour of my time? (taking off wheels, taping up rotor, etc, etc) or how ever long it took davon to do his engine mounts install hah
Old 04-12-2005, 06:45 AM

Car Info: N/A
If anything painting the caliper will prevent that ugly oxidation build up and it does serve a purpose in that effect. I think you people throw the term rice around too loosely here. RICE is having that non functional oversized spoiler, putting lame graphics all over the car, placing huge lame stickers on the rear or front windshield, or smaller ones everywhere, smacking on an aweful bodykit, converting to Lambo doors, neon lights, having a huge fart can which serves no purpose except to annoy, having a non funtional hoodscoop for looks, smacking on badges that have nothing to do with your car, or converting a whole front/rear end to copy another manufactuer's vehicle.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Well I need to restore my Subaru 4 pots. I need to paint the "Subaru" letter white again.
Any ideas on what brand I should go with?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 03 Legacy GT Wagon
Wink

Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w
If anything painting the caliper will prevent that ugly oxidation build up and it does serve a purpose in that effect. I think you people throw the term rice around too loosely here. RICE is having that non functional oversized spoiler, putting lame graphics all over the car, placing huge lame stickers on the rear or front windshield, or smaller ones everywhere, smacking on an aweful bodykit, converting to Lambo doors, neon lights, having a huge fart can which serves no purpose except to annoy, having a non funtional hoodscoop for looks, smacking on badges that have nothing to do with your car, or converting a whole front/rear end to copy another manufactuer's vehicle.

Now that's RICE!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
I have a wrx '03 bugeye and the red caliper paint looks damn nice, I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Now I am sure there are color combinations which are quite not tasteful...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

I don't think painting calipers is rice. Painting drum brakes... now that's rice.

For the original poster of this thread -- I believe tirerack.com has a caliper paint kit. I'm not sure how good it is.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Car Info: '05 CGM WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Well I need to restore my Subaru 4 pots. I need to paint the "Subaru" letter white again.
Any ideas on what brand I should go with?

as your base color, i would go with a either a high-temp engine paint or brake specific kits. i've had good experiences with both. there tend to be more colors available with engine paints, but they tend to get brake dust embedded/stained over time and may burn off if you ever track your car.

as for the lettering, i would use regular enamel and a brush. i've had a few friends do their caliper with regular testors enamel and they've turned out fine
Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
I say paint them. It adds attention to detail. Sometimes it is an upgrade and a stock part that you want to highlight since it is an upgrade. To me, the altezza or chrome tailights is rice. I guess it is all just everyone's own preference...

As for painting calipers, I have done both of these: Spray paint with $6 caliper paint and I just did some Supra TT 4pot calipers with the $20 brake caliper paint kit. This one uses a brush and takes longer (for my friend). Spray paint came out more gold color. The kit color looks like the 350z gold caliper color. Couple shades darker than the STI caliper color. The kit you have to paint outside in the open or have a fan blow air in your facw as it is pretty toxic (laquer base mix with a reactor). Hope this helps.

Last edited by drew935; 04-12-2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 04 aspen white wrx
yea i think imma paint my calipers black just to make them looks better than the stock rust green it looks like right now. thanks for everybodys input
Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Brake hard and late and never clean your wheels and you never have to worry about what color your calipers are. Mine are a brownish grey.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:06 PM

If painting calipers aint rice then what is rice, Rice in my opinion is anything that you can do to a part to make it look like its upgraded, when it actually isn't
Old 04-16-2005, 07:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
I don't think that there's nothing wrong about making the car look cleaner. Painting calipers won't mess with the look of the car unlike other parts.

Quick Reply: brake caliper paint