Boost gauge needle is erratic at idle (was: Need your expert advice)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
If they are giving you an even swap then definately go for it.

Doesn't hurt

Some makers guages are a little sensitive, I think that is what you are seeing.
My HKS gauge moves a little when the car's idle bumps around (like if AC on while car is stopped, but not as much as what you are seeing.

If it was bopping around more than what it is doing now I would say that the gauge has a problem. It looks like it is staying within the hash marks of -18 and -19.

The gauges don't look too bad.

Last edited by RedStage; 11-07-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Car Info: civic
that does seem weird. i have a 30 dollar autometer boost guage and it doesn't fluctuate like that in your video. So it's not necessary a 'mechanical' gauge defect. At idle my gauges reads steady at a constant - vacumn, hopefully you'll get it solved with the new guage.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX 5 speed, Aspen White
Ya, I haven't felt like it hinder performance or anything. I just don't have any expierience with boost gauges so I was a little worried. Plus I am kinda OCD about my car. lol
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
/\ know what you mean
Old 11-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Polish
So here is my problem, at idle the needle flutters.
That's both normal and, IMO, desirable. Your gauge is accurately showing the intake pulsing as the intake valves open and close. Most mechanical gauges do not show the wavering needle because they use a restriction of some sort (like a brass or plastic bleed fitting with a tiny hole in it) to dampen the pulses, mainly because users become alarmed when they don't know why the needle isn't rock steady. Personally, I like mechanical gauges that react like that because they are faster to respond to minor throttle input.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 11-07-2006, 06:28 PM

Car Info: 1994 impreza L
How are these prosport gauges? Like fit and finish? They look great in your car, and they're cheap as hell. I've been thinking about getting a set.

On the subject of the fluttering, I'd support the other opinions voiced.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
That's both normal and, IMO, desirable. Your gauge is accurately showing the intake pulsing as the intake valves open and close. Most mechanical gauges do not show the wavering needle because they use a restriction of some sort (like a brass or plastic bleed fitting with a tiny hole in it) to dampen the pulses, mainly because users become alarmed when they don't know why the needle isn't rock steady. Personally, I like mechanical gauges that react like that because they are faster to respond to minor throttle input.
I am beginning to think this myself because the gauge works awesome especially when the car is under throttle. Even under minimal throttle, the gauge seems to respond very quickly. I am still going to take Prosports offer for a brand new one only because when it "flutters" it makes a vibration noise and I hate vibration noises.

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said in the first post I know nothing about boost gauges so I didn't know if this was a serious problem or not.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mulcibre
How are these prosport gauges? Like fit and finish? They look great in your car, and they're cheap as hell. I've been thinking about getting a set.

On the subject of the fluttering, I'd support the other opinions voiced.
When I was looking for gauges I was looking for something that looked stock. Oh course Omori Gauges come to everyones mind but they are pretty expensive. I found these and decided to give it a shot because they were cheaply priced. If they didn't work then I won't be out that much money.

I love how they match the stock colors. They are white in the day and green at night with a red needle. Fitment is good. The instructions could have been alittle more in depth but any one with common sense could figure it out.

As you know the boost gauge is "fluttering" at idle (because that what this post is about). But it seems to work really good when I am actually driving.

The Oil Pressure gauge seems to be perfect. It sits at 100 untill the car is warm, Once the car has been driving for 15 minutes or so it will sit at about 20 at idle and about 80 at WOT. No problems so far.

The EGT Gauge is not fully hooked up yet because I need to take my car to a shop to have them tap the manifold. But it lights up.

Overall I am pretty impressed especially for the price.

The only complaint that I have is the illumination is a little to bright for my taste. I was going to look at how to but a resistor to make them not illuminate so much, but that will be in the future.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 PM

right on, good to hear a positive review. I was kinda skeptical because they are something like 5-7 times cheaper than say, a defi system.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Well like I said, I have only had them installed for 4 days. Ill try to remember to update my review in a month or so.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 PM

I'll be looking forward to your extended review, I was planning on waiting for them to release more 60mm gauges anyway.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 05 Saab 92x
Originally Posted by Polish
Well like I said, I have only had them installed for 4 days. Ill try to remember to update my review in a month or so.
Any new news on the gauges?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Polish
An new news on the gauges? i am really interested in getting a boost gauge myself for my wagon.