BMW Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Originally Posted by Zoeb2s
just call BMW of North America and either complain about the dealership or request a buy back

I requested a buy back on my 335i and got an answer within 2 weeks...they are buying it back for $4k less than what I paid for it 3.5 years ago
that's sweet!

Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
I just got off the phone with BMW Concord and was told that they would have us a loaner or rental car.

go burn the sh*t out of that car now, i hate bad service.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Car Info: Reason
On a somewhat related note, I was right behind a silver late-model 5 series yesterday after having just gotten off of the Golden Gate bridge onto 19th when their right, rear wheel flew off and that corner of the car hit the deck and slid for 100 feet until they could get the car stopped. The wheel bounced around a bunch and finally came to a rest next to the barrier on the right side of the right-hand lane.

Bummer it flew off like that - could be anything that caused it, I suppose - I'm just glad it didn't hit me!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi UGM Limited
BMW's high pressure fuel pump is lubricated by gasoline, gas isn't a very good lubricant. Fuel pressure sensors and injectors go bad all day on the 135 335 and 535, simply put BMW cannot make a turbocharged vehicle and it is an embarrassment. I road test at least 2-4 *35i BMWs for their final high pressure fuel pump service road test daily. Simply put they are crap BMW wont fix the problem they just up the warranty on the HPFP to 100k miles.

If the tech can't get a diagnosis code for your problems from the DME (ecu) on your 535i, BMW won't pay the dealership for the warranty work that's why Concord isn't really being much of help. I would say come to my dealership, Weatherford in Berkley but they will probably give you the same runaround. But perhaps call the service manager there and tell him your case they always love a good opportunity to make the competition look bad.

On a better note e90/2 M3 very solid car. Minimal problems all they come in for is fluids not much else.

Good luck perhaps try getting a BMW warranty rep to look at your case, they can do preemptive service on the fuel delivery system but they don't like to. Good luck
Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
BMWNA is pretty good at taking care of customers. They fixed the cam position sensors on my M5 even after the warranty expired.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Originally Posted by meatloaf
BMW's high pressure fuel pump is lubricated by gasoline, gas isn't a very good lubricant. Fuel pressure sensors and injectors go bad all day on the 135 335 and 535, simply put BMW cannot make a turbocharged vehicle and it is an embarrassment. I road test at least 2-4 *35i BMWs for their final high pressure fuel pump service road test daily. Simply put they are crap BMW wont fix the problem they just up the warranty on the HPFP to 100k miles.

If the tech can't get a diagnosis code for your problems from the DME (ecu) on your 535i, BMW won't pay the dealership for the warranty work that's why Concord isn't really being much of help. I would say come to my dealership, Weatherford in Berkley but they will probably give you the same runaround. But perhaps call the service manager there and tell him your case they always love a good opportunity to make the competition look bad.

On a better note e90/2 M3 very solid car. Minimal problems all they come in for is fluids not much else.

Good luck perhaps try getting a BMW warranty rep to look at your case, they can do preemptive service on the fuel delivery system but they don't like to. Good luck

Yeah the BMW HPFP is the main cause of all the problems with the car... poor engineering. Hopefully it won't be in the shop back to back like it was last time.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM

To clarify, my parents own the car, but my dad usually prefers me to deal with Concord BMW. I am better with people than he is. lol He gets frustrated with them really easily and ends up yelling at them. Not that I haven't but I usually take a lighter approach.

Anyways, I was out this morning when BMW called, but my mom talked to them. She told me that she wasn't sure if they were replacing the HPFP, they are updating the ECU and changing out the rear brakes (unrelated). Also, they "reassured" my mom that the BMW extended the warranty of the HPFP for 100k miles. What they didn't tell her is that BMW doesn't warranty any parts affected by HPFP failure after 4years/60k miles. She told them that she planned on keeping the car for more than 100k miles and that it won't run well after 100k miles if it isn't running well now.

My dad's going to speak with them later today. He's going to see about either getting a replacement car or if Concord BMW will recommend a buy back, since the car has had recurring issues.

I'll update later today.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM

It turns out that we did not end up needing a loaner car, because we got the car back today.

"Customer Reports that the 'Engine Malfunction Reduce Power' warning light is on - Check and Advise"

"Cause - Check and Found DME(ECU) fault 2FBF, 29F2 for Fuel System. Refur to SIB 12-11-10 and flow chart. Need to replaced High Pressure Pump DIAGCODE D1350-00000000-02-002. Send a TC PUMA Case 34652996. PUMA approved the replace HDP High Pressure Pump. Replaced HDP."

Also, they reprogrammed the DME (ECU).

The Sales rep. told my dad that a new version of the High Pressure Fuel Pump came out 2 months ago and that there should be no more issues. My dad replied "Well if the car is going to be fine, there is a Lexus dealer down the street, would you buy my car so that I can go by a Lexus?" The sales rep laughed and said "Well, I don't know about that."

Basically, I don't think anyone with a brain would want to by this car knowing the issues that it has had. It is basically worthless. That is how we are going to approach BMWNA when explaining our current situation. My parents no longer want they car because they fear the costs it may undertake after the warranty expires. Even though the High Pressure Fuel Pump has an extended warranty to 100k miles, any parts associated with it's failure are not covered.

I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens with BMWNA.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi UGM Limited
Don't listen to that guy HPFP design has not changed since first 335i released in 2007
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 AM

Update:

The High Pressure Fuel Pump on my mom's BMW 535i failed again last week (3 times total). Once again, Concord BMW was VERY reluctant to give my parents a loaner car by stating that "We need 2 weeks notice", which is complete BS. My dad ended up talking to the general manager who happened to be able to free up a loaner car.

The good news here is that my dad finally contacted BMW of North America and filed a complaint with them. They were very fast to respond and they will buy the car back. At this point in time, they have all the service records, receipts, etc. and will be sending my parents a quote for a buy back. I will most likely not be able to talk about the remedy, but my parents are hoping that it is a fair offer. If it isn't a fair offer, they have been recommended a lemon law lawyer... so we'll see what happens.

To date:
3 High Pressure Fuel Pump replacements
1 replacement of bearing ledges and some other internals.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Geez makes me not want to get a bmw.

All this and they still only want you to change oil every 20k?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
does your car qualify as a lemon?

lol nm i suck at reading in the morning. tell your parents its time for a MB or a Porsche
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
rok

Car Info: 20 Tesla Y LR AWD
yeah my folk's 1999 528it was a pain in the *** with radiator, water pump, window channel, and temp sensor problems. I love BMWs and the way that they drive, but we would never buy again unless a great deal came up on an old e30 m3 or I somehow win the lottery.

In the end my brother wrecked both passenger side doors and we were happy to part with it for $1000 at the Subaru dealership for my STi.

edit: my gf has a '10 mini and i'm freaking out that the dealership won't accept the first oil change until the service light comes on. It hasn't had one oil change and it's at 10.5k. But, oh well, we plan on trading it in before the 5 year/40k mark so I'm not worried about the future problems.

Last edited by rok; 02-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Geez makes me not want to get a bmw.

All this and they still only want you to change oil every 20k?
BMW makes good cars, but there is major issues with the 135, 335, 535 series cars. They have the 6 cylinder twin turbo set up and the high pressure fuel pump is prone to failure. When the HPFP fails, the car idles rough, goes into limp mode and/or shuts off completely. I can't imagine any other stress the engine goes through as a result of this. Not to mention that in an unrelated problem the bearing ledges and other internals were replaced. The E90 3 series (with exception to the 335) has been rated one of the top cars to own by many critics.

BMW of North America is also doing the right thing by being willing to buy back the car with no questions asked.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
BMW makes good cars, but there is major issues with the 135, 335, 535 series cars. They have the 6 cylinder twin turbo set up and the high pressure fuel pump is prone to failure. When the HPFP fails, the car idles rough, goes into limp mode and/or shuts off completely. I can't imagine any other stress the engine goes through as a result of this. Not to mention that in an unrelated problem the bearing ledges and other internals were replaced. The E90 3 series (with exception to the 335) has been rated one of the top cars to own by many critics.

BMW of North America is also doing the right thing by being willing to buy back the car with no questions asked.
i like this...
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
don't people read consumer reports before buying cars???
if you did you would have known all BMW's with a N54 motor in them had multiple failures with high pressure pumps and fuel injectors, and they have a bad issue with carbon build up around the valve stems because of the direct injection
If your mom was smart she would well that piece of s**t before it goes out of warranty.

Quick Reply: BMW Rant