BMW M5 - 7 spd SMG ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally posted by Xero
I'll be the second to last person to ever accept that some sort of new designed auto tranny can cram gears as fast as I can do it myself.
I would have to disagree. It's not really an automatic. This system still uses a dry clutch and only shifts when the driver pulls one of the paddles. Theoretically they are faster than a human could ever be while shifting the conventional way. Don't get me wrong, I love driving stick, you feel like you have more control. But these paddle systems are pretty neat. I rode in a 360 Modena that has their F1 system. What's cool is when you down shift, the computer blips the throttle and does a perfect rev match for you. For those of us who can't heel-toe (though I am practicing ) this system is a pretty sweet deal.

-Chris
Old 04-06-2004, 11:53 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by bassplayrr
I would have to disagree. It's not really an automatic. This system still uses a dry clutch and only shifts when the driver pulls one of the paddles. Theoretically they are faster than a human could ever be while shifting the conventional way. Don't get me wrong, I love driving stick, you feel like you have more control. But these paddle systems are pretty neat. I rode in a 360 Modena that has their F1 system. What's cool is when you down shift, the computer blips the throttle and does a perfect rev match for you. For those of us who can't heel-toe (though I am practicing ) this system is a pretty sweet deal.

-Chris
I agree, it is a great system, but there are so many buyers that prefer the feel of actually having a clutch, it just makes driving the car more fun.

I disagree with only offering the SMG, but I am sure they did their research and this is whats good for business for them.

Man... Every body line on the new 5's is just perfect. It's all in the right place, everything flows so smoothly even with the sharp little accents here and there. I'd love to own one of those.

Question though, there is NO manual M5? That can't be. I'm guessing they'll have a manual six speed... I hope so anyway. I'll be the second to last person to ever accept that some sort of new designed auto tranny can cram gears as fast as I can do it myself.
I Agree, a fully manual gearbox would be sweet.
As Chris said above, no one can switch gears as fast as the SMG (sequential manual gearbox) can.

-Zoeb
Old 04-06-2004, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
What model/year 510 is that black one pictured above?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
in 1968 they started making the Bluebird SSS coupe.

It looks IMHO way better that the regular 510 2 & 4d sedan...
Old 04-06-2004, 02:24 PM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
Man... Every body line on the new 5's is just perfect. It's all in the right place, everything flows so smoothly even with the sharp little accents here and there. I'd love to own one of those.

first time i've ever heard that....
Old 04-06-2004, 02:48 PM

Car Info: Soon to be a 2011 WRX?
I have to go back on my original statement. After one of the more hardcore bimmer fans pointed out the length of the overhangs I realized it was true. One of the things I loved about the look of bimmers is that snub-nose thing. There's about 2 inches of body in front of the wheels and that's it. (Yes I'm exaggerating.)

I still love all the lines on this car, but I agree, the body hanging less beyond the wheels woooould make this car look even better.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:56 PM

Car Info: Soon to be a 2011 WRX?
Originally posted by dahveed
in 1968 they started making the Bluebird SSS coupe.

It looks IMHO way better that the regular 510 2 & 4d sedan...
Sorry to threadjack, but would you say it's pretty impossible to find a BlueBird these days? Finding a 510 seems hard enough, but Im thinking maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Maybe you or sighborg could list some good resources for finding these for sale. That black SSS in the picture above is grogeous.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I didn't even realize the Bluebird SSS was available stateside!!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
hmm, 500hp v-10, 7 speed sequential gearbox...

sounds like ferrari's not the only kid on the block using thier f1 program for thier road cars.

edit: grap on my spelling
Old 04-06-2004, 11:57 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
New styling is always hard to accept, but within a few years the old style will just look....old and tired, and people will desire the new style.

I mean there will always be people who desire the old school looks, but most people will start to like the new one. Sure you can say "i keep it real and unique" but ain't nothing wrong with jumping on the bandwagon...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:09 AM

since we are talking the 5... the best looking wagon evar is the previous 540 wagon. yes even better than my wrx wagon. but they are still so damn expensive.