Blizzaks in normal driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:33 PM
edy

Car Info: 07 Urban Gray STI
Blizzaks in normal driving

So, it's that time of year and I want to take my car to Tahoe. I'm thinking of getting the Blizzak LM-25s but I was curious as to how they handle for normal driving in the city? I saw a post somewhere about the tires wearing out faster in normal roads but I'm not sure if that was for dedicated snow tires or for tires like the blizzaks which are performance winter tires. What tires do you guys use for driving to Tahoe?

I don't plan on buying separate wheels. I'll just swap them out come May or whatever and then put the stock tires on.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, if you buy blizzaks and drive mainly in moderate temperature asphalt (like the bay) they will definitely wear out faster.

You probably don't need Blizzaks anyway, unless you live up here. If you are only coming up once or twice, I'd recommend just getting some good all-season m&s tires, and just learn to take it easy in the snow.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Ziex 512's are decent/cheap tires that are rated for snow. I tried mine out and they work great in the snow and are decent on dry pavement. Considering you can put up with the sidewall flex.

discounttire.com has them for like $350 a set shipped.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
You will find blizzaks to be a bit squirmey and not as responsive as dry or M/S tires, they really get tossed around on grooved pavement like 580 through Livermore. That is basically true of any tall tread snow tire though.

But they do really kick a$$ in the snow, it kind of boils down to how much time you'll spend up there compared to down here.

One or two trips a month I'd say invest in some good all seasons, but more than a couple trips per month and I'd opt for real snow tires.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by psoper
You will find blizzaks to be a bit squirmey and not as responsive as dry or M/S tires, they really get tossed around on grooved pavement like 580 through Livermore. That is basically true of any tall tread snow tire though.

But they do really kick a$$ in the snow, it kind of boils down to how much time you'll spend up there compared to down here.

One or two trips a month I'd say invest in some good all seasons, but more than a couple trips per month and I'd opt for real snow tires.

know anything about the new blizzaks. It sounded like they made them more for every day driving. Like the REVO 1's and the LM25's. Both sounded more streetable that the WS50's were.

I'm curious on this as well.

On the other stuff. I hated the 512's. Looks like I'll probably end up getting Toyo Proxe 4's.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

On the other stuff. I hated the 512's.
hated them in the snow or just all around? Was it the sidewall flexing that you didn't like?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I'm on 512's right now and I love them. Great in the snow, and perfect for cruising. Not so perfect if you are pushing the car.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STiYLIN
hated them in the snow or just all around? Was it the sidewall flexing that you didn't like?

no in the snow and the rain they were actually pretty impressive for a street tire.

It was the dry handling that I hated them in. I push my car on a pretty regular basis and the 512 where the worst handling tire I have ever driven on....including the RE92's. The howl like no other in the corners. They're squishy. They can't hold for crap.

If this is an extra wheel set that you use during the winter or for long trips it's a good tire. But for driving agressively at all they are terrible. Beyond that I went through them INSANELY fast. You drive them hard at all and they just peal away. I drove them on hammy year before last and damn near killed myself.

So if you're like me and like to have confidense in your tires....at least a little every day and know you can lay into a corner or onramp every now and again I would never recommend this tire.

The Proxe 4 is MS rated as is the Pzero nero.....I'm going with one of those 2 as I've heard and experienced good things with them handling wise for an MS tire.

Shoot if you want cheap get the Kumho ASX's. Everyone I have talked to loves them. My buddy has them and his car handles very well.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:34 PM

I defintely don't push as hard as my potenzas but once you get past the squish feeling they hold just fine or at least for my needs. I just had to get used to the feeling of the flex. I have cornered WAY hard on these before and have yet to break traction. I would love to ride passenger with you as you must drive way harder than me. All in all these tires are alright and I agree there are a ton better handling tires out there.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:47 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STiYLIN
I defintely don't push as hard as my potenzas but once you get past the squish feeling they hold just fine or at least for my needs. I just had to get used to the feeling of the flex. I have cornered WAY hard on these before and have yet to break traction. I would love to ride passenger with you as you must drive way harder than me. All in all these tires are alright and I agree there are a ton better handling tires out there.

what suspension are you running?

I had no problems braking them loose but that wasn't what really bugged me. Shoot I have no problems braking my RE070's loose. I drive a winding road on my way to and from work every day and when there isn't anyone in front of me I like to let loose every now and again...haaa.

They're a decent middle of the road tire. I just like to get on it a little bit too much..haa. I honestly am one of the only people that's been really truly unhappy with them. Most folks I've talked to liked them or at least didn't hate them. So take my review just as another man's opinion. Everyone has different experiences. I just didn't like them.

Yeah I just hated the squeel and hated the about ready to go feeling all the time in corners.

We'll have to do a drive some time. In the spring I plan on organizing one.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
hmm, this is timely - I was just looking at getting a set of blizzaks for this winter. Thanks for the info!

pointless trivia - the stock tires on my Yaris are RE92's... I can't get away from the damn things!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
what suspension are you running?

I had no problems braking them loose but that wasn't what really bugged me. Shoot I have no problems braking my RE070's loose. I drive a winding road on my way to and from work every day and when there isn't anyone in front of me I like to let loose every now and again...haaa.

They're a decent middle of the road tire. I just like to get on it a little bit too much..haa. I honestly am one of the only people that's been really truly unhappy with them. Most folks I've talked to liked them or at least didn't hate them. So take my review just as another man's opinion. Everyone has different experiences. I just didn't like them.

Yeah I just hated the squeel and hated the about ready to go feeling all the time in corners.

We'll have to do a drive some time. In the spring I plan on organizing one.
Suspension is stock STi struts with H&R springs. -2.0 front and -1.5 rear 0 toe and 0 cross caster. I totally agree, middle of the road tire. Cheap and work well but accel at nothing and have a squishy feel to them. especially when coming off such a stiff tire like the 070's.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx, new (to me) 2006 exige, low n slow miata
Originally Posted by psoper

What he said. I'd also seriously consider buying a second set of cheap rims for your snow tires. You don't want to pay for mounting and balancing twice a year..it adds up
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 AM

What psi do you run your blizzaks at, I have 17's revos
Old 11-29-2006, 06:28 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Usually somebody has chimed in by now to get Nokian's. I don't have any personal experience but they make a all season tire with a higher snow rating.

Quick Reply: Blizzaks in normal driving