Are bike racks the new "in" thing..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I don't care. Just an observation I made a long time ago.

Not sure how it is other places but in Watsonville it seems that every honda has a rack on it. I just thought it was funny that a bike rack became a new fashion trend. But not surprised as the hipsters picked up the fixie and it blew up and that has just filtered over because the crowds are mixed. That was my observation.

Personally... I think it's lame. If you have a bike to move around... cool. Otherwise you're wasting $600. I had two bikes I carried on mine. And I think the fixie trend it stupid. The only people that should be riding those things are bike messengers. They aren't safe for your average person that rarely rides. Hence the accidents and deaths from the people not stopping and getting smashed by buses. Brakes are your friend... and this is coming from a guy that rode a bmx bike with no brakes for a LONG time.

Just my opinion as you pointed out... oh.... and it doesn't matter. Someone made an observation that I made as well... that's all that matters.

And it's kind of funny that he's from the same area as I am. We seem to have an abnormal amount of it going on per capita around here... so unless you live here I don't think you'd quite understand what we're seeing.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 AM

Car Info: San Remo Red '05 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I started noticing this trend in the spring and it just cracked me up. The explosion of the fixie trend has exploded with the hipster trend and picked up huge with the young crowd.

The same folks in to hella flush stuff and "jdm" styled cars.

Cracks me up. I have some pictures around here rocking a full yakima rack on my 1997 honda civic coupe in like 1999.

trend setter!

And my car was set up the way all these kids wish there's was set up... mad JDM yo! Well it was about to be... I sold it with a RHD conversion ready to go in and a 2.0 liter stroker spoon motor being built in canada. Had a lot of the CTR parts on it already though.

Post a picture.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Yea, where else would kids slap on their SUPREME bumper stickers?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Hollandaze
Yea, where else would kids slap on their SUPREME bumper stickers?
lol.
I was just at my buddies party last night and he pulled out a bunch of stickers from the Skidazzle snowboard show at Cal Expo to see if anyone wanted some.. There was a SUPREME.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Teagleye
Post a picture.
I'll look around. I saw a couple the other day after I took the zeals off.

I think all it had on it when I sold it was the CTR head lights. Koni/neuspeed set up. CTR control arms. Controltech rear sway bar tie bar combo and some brake stuff. Had the rest of the stuff off and sold. 2 accidents and 1 gut job while parked at bart... yeah!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
trunk bike racks are awesome, stop hatin' lol

I only recently discovered this genius idea when I bought a used Trek 5200 (super lightweight CF road bike) - with this thing I can drive to parts of the city with ZERO parking, park hellllla far away, and bike at 20-25mph to my destination. Win.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Originally Posted by verc
trunk bike racks are awesome, stop hatin' lol

I only recently discovered this genius idea when I bought a used Trek 5200 (super lightweight CF road bike) - with this thing I can drive to parts of the city with ZERO parking, park hellllla far away, and bike at 20-25mph to my destination. Win.
When I attended De Anza, I would mount my bike on my bike rack.

It gave me the opportunity to park legally away from the college parking lot (which I didn't want to pay $2 per day for the permit). I'd ride to class since I found the walk to the classroom and back to my car too tedious from where I parked.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
im gonna get one for my tsx soon, but i will actually use it for my bikes/snowboards... im selling my roof rack from the STi if anyone is interested
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Originally Posted by rikakidd
Yea it's the new jdm thing. Everyone in Modesto has em. Haha
hahaha but yet you don't see the sweet rides in japan with a rack on them
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by WREXNFX
hahaha but yet you don't see the sweet rides in japan with a rack on them
True, but it all ties in with the stanceworks and hellaflush deal, a majority of them want to fulfill the stereotype of slammed stance and rack it. But then again there are always those hipsters in their slammed V Dubs with their fixie on top haha. At least they use their rack...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by Imprezard
True, but it all ties in with the stanceworks and hellaflush deal, a majority of them want to fulfill the stereotype of slammed stance and rack it. But then again there are always those hipsters in their slammed V Dubs with their fixie on top haha. At least they use their rack...
In due time, rusted hoods.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Usin mine tomorrow. If anyone will be up at Sierra shredding. I'm the guy that looks like Shaun White with short hair. Hahah.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Car Info: Foz
Originally Posted by Teagleye
Usin mine tomorrow. If anyone will be up at Sierra shredding. I'm the guy that looks like Shaun White with short hair. Hahah.
wish i could get up there during the week!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I just thought it was funny that a bike rack became a new fashion trend. But not surprised as the hipsters picked up the fixie and it blew up and that has just filtered over because the crowds are mixed. That was my observation.

Personally... I think it's lame. If you have a bike to move around... cool. Otherwise you're wasting $600. I had two bikes I carried on mine. And I think the fixie trend it stupid. The only people that should be riding those things are bike messengers. They aren't safe for your average person that rarely rides. Hence the accidents and deaths from the people not stopping and getting smashed by buses. Brakes are your friend... and this is coming from a guy that rode a bmx bike with no brakes for a LONG time.
lol

990fccaf.jpg?t=1291195176

Hahaha I'm such a hipster, bike messenger want to be . Brakes are for fakes! My gf is a fake...

Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Sweet fixie bro.