Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Overbear
That really was only a tiny part of it. It more came from the lack of proof, the words that were hollow and empty. I could ask "why would god do X" and just be told "thats the way god wants it"...
Common response. Fact of the mater is that no one can really answer why god would do something or allow something to happen. Just like we can often not answer why a person would make a certain decision.

Take this for example... you have say being gay is not a choice but you're born that... that I think is true for some folks. But there are a lot of folks out there that choose the lifestyle. Someone could say... why would you choose that lifestyle.. to risk the loss family or be ridiculed and persecuted. Forgive my spelling. I suck. The answer could be one of many, maybe they feel more excepted by the gay community, maybe they want to **** off their parents, maybe it's the cool thing to do or be in that "scene". etc etc etc. No one really knows but them.

Hell any person that calls themselves a Christian and doesn't have questions is not what I would think Christ expected Christians to be.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Common response. Fact of the mater is that no one can really answer why god would do something or allow something to happen. Just like we can often not answer why a person would make a certain decision.

Take this for example... you have say being gay is not a choice but you're born that... that I think is true for some folks. But there are a lot of folks out there that choose the lifestyle. Someone could say... why would you choose that lifestyle.. to risk the loss family or be ridiculed and persecuted. Forgive my spelling. I suck. The answer could be one of many, maybe they feel more excepted by the gay community, maybe they want to **** off their parents, maybe it's the cool thing to do or be in that "scene". etc etc etc. No one really knows but them.

Hell any person that calls themselves a Christian and doesn't have questions is not what I would think Christ expected Christians to be.
You and I got to sit down some day, glass of brandy and a good cigar, and talk. could be some very deep talks I am telling you.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
General Pimpin'

That I guess is where I have my problem. See it was not a choice, not somthing I sat down and went "hey I want to be attracted to my own gender" it just was...from as early as I can remember, even back 3..4yo the feeling was there. Now at that age you don't have words or understanding for that feeling, but it was there.
Hell I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday let alone what I was attracted to at the age of 3.

Many boys and girls go through stages of curiosity and don't know how to deal with it in later years and decide they must be gay if they liked boys when they were 10... etc etc etc. Not always true. But yeah some people can't shake it. I know a few people that have been married and even had kids only to divorce and show up with a gay partner shortly after. Could be other explanations to that as well though.

Just saying. Nothing is clear and cut, especially when talking about religion, politics and sexuality.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Oh, ok. So I have to watch my tone, but any one of you "believers" can say whatever you want? **** that. You watch your tone, "BRO."

Seriously, is this your first time on the internet? Telling people to watch their tone on a forum? What planet are you from, and what gives you the right to tell me what to do or how to speak?
I don't think I've said anything offensive, correct me if I'm wrong.
I just don't think you should to put peoples religions down like you are.
We don't mock your beliefs. So don't mock ours. Like I said questioning is great. But there's a line.

Yeah this is my first time using the Internet machine actually. You wanna come over and help me figure it out
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
General Pimpin'

You and I got to sit down some day, glass of brandy and a good cigar, and talk. could be some very deep talks I am telling you.
I love a good conversation but I'm more of a whiskey guy and don't smoke. So maybe a glass of whiskey of a cube of ice and a bowl of pretzels. haaa.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Hell I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday let alone what I was attracted to at the age of 3.

Many boys and girls go through stages of curiosity and don't know how to deal with it in later years and decide they must be gay if they liked boys when they were 10... etc etc etc. Not always true. But yeah some people can't shake it. I know a few people that have been married and even had kids only to divorce and show up with a gay partner shortly after. Could be other explanations to that as well though.

Just saying. Nothing is clear and cut, especially when talking about religion, politics and sexuality.
Oh trust me, I did all I could to "change" myself. I was married, had MANY girl friends, always I thought "this will fix me, I will be normal, I will stop feeling like this" but all the time it felt...wrong. It felt so...dirty, tell I finally came out to myself.

Man, 27yo, married, and I came out, it felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders...the ex-wife wasn't so thrilled but...hey what can I do.

Last edited by Overbear; 08-18-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
That I guess is where I have my problem. See it was not a choice, not something I sat down and went "hey I want to be attracted to my own gender" it just was...from as early as I can remember, even back 3..4yo the feeling was there. Now at that age you don't have words or understanding for that feeling, but it was there.
I see you point, but you still have free choice.
Not one day goes by that I don't see a very attractive(to me) female that I know I could (eventually)have sex with.
I choose not to act on my urges because I love my wife.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
i just skipped most of the posts, and my reply to the original topic is...

i dont see this as a big deal. lets be honest. texas is a pretty religous state. i am guessing more people go to church than dont OR the ones that do are more vocal about there concerns. i learned and read the bible on in my super snotty little east bay town. from jr high to high school, several of my English classes had a breif study of the bible. it was done in a very "open" way and not to offend anyone, believers or not....I 100% do not believe in religion. I believe there are higher beings, etc, but nothing anyone of our silly simple minds would be able to understand....

so, i guess when i see people freaking out about, or sensationalizing as the media likes to do, the idea of religion in schools, i see no issue. If they are PREACHING to the kids, that is one thing. But understanding WHERE religion comes from and shy it is so important in our society is a good thing i think for the coming generations to understand.

i bet if that same topic came up here in my little po-dunk town, they would hang the people who suggested it. i live in the land of the liberals and a vocal bunch at that. but that is just my little school dist here in the mountains. if we collectively as a community decided that "insert contraversial(sp) topic here" was the way we wanted to go, than we'd proly vote it in.

Hopefully most everyone in Texas likes the new rules. if not, than hopefully they will vote it out.....

i hope i said that without offending too many y'all

josh

PS Overbear, awesome you made the right decision. i love hearing stories like that.....

Last edited by josh; 08-18-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I see you point, but you still have free choice.
Not one day goes by that I don't see a very attractive(to me) female that I know I could (eventually)have sex with.
I choose not to act on my urges because I love my wife.
At our core, you and I are just two different people, but that's ok. Like my dad said, it takes all kinds to make the world work.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/program.html

The rural community of Dover, Pennsylvania is torn apart in the latest battle over the teaching of evolution, and parents file a lawsuit against the town's school board in federal court.

this video bring out all the points that everyone is discussing on here. its a 2 hr video divided up into 12 parts.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

At our core, you and I are just two different people, but that's ok. Like my dad said, it takes all kinds to make the world work.
Yes, we are different.
I'd still go skinny dippin with you.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Yes, we are different.
haaaaaa. you rock man.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Yes, we are different.
and let you see my tiny little pee-pee... no way!

you know, its a shame more folk don't have your outlook on life, we would have a hell of a better world I can tell you that.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
i was trying to figure out what paul was getting at there...and maybe i have missed too much...

but

pauls example would be great if Overbear where talking about being whether or not to take part in adultery. But he is talking about his sexual orientation. and i think a better example would be to say " i like milk chocolate, and he likes white. I cant STAND white chocolate, so he can have all of it".

josh
Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

and let you see my tiny little pee-pee... no way!

you know, its a shame more folk don't have your outlook on life, we would have a hell of a better world I can tell you that.

There's plenty of **** out there that bothers me.
I know I bother a lot of people.

I can't tell you how many people came up to me at BAM and said, "Man...you're not as big an ******* as I thought you were."

Quick Reply: Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.