Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Yin
garden with a talking snake. a naked man and woman and an apple. the immaculate conception.

versus

empirical data
peer reviewed publications

now, i will say that both sides have their zealots and radical ideas, which is what is hindering the junction of faith and exploring the natural world through interpreting empirical data, as i think both are necessary for healthy humanitarianism. that being said, i would be ok with teaching religion in school if it included all religions and how those religions came about. like someone else said, kinda like a history class on religion.
Not a literary type I see.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
^ haha I know. Don't get me wrong, I think the bible is a collection of stories that teach life lessons and moral values, which is awesome because a lot of people really do have true faith and follow these lessons to become better people. But, there are many that also take these stories literally, as fact. When they use that version of reality as a backdrop for arguments against hard science, that's when they sound ridiculous, and sound as if they possess no logic or intelligence. This does not mean hard science does not have its flaws as well, since any data-set can be interpreted to convey any message the investigator wants to convey, but using the appropriate examples and goals for what people believe would fare better in a reasonable discussion.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by medicSTi
You have bought into a lie my friend. Sin leads to the downfall of man, not redemption with God through His grace.

The reason you do not care if someone wants to sodomize a cow is because you do not understand the consequences of the action or you would not say what you had. People are hurt and just because you didn't help or watch does not make it all good.

Good is the nature of God, and the opposite is bad. Having sex with a cow is not the nature of God and is therefore not good.

Relativity with regards to good and bad is by the very nature of the definitions of good and bad inconsistent and a lie.

I feel bad for you, that you are so shallow, so empty inside, so uneducated that you grasp onto a belief in some ghost in the clouds. Rather you should believe in yourself, and your fellow man, to have faith in our species.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Actually it's the opposite.

From eternity God knew who would be saved by His Grace, which means God already knew which people were receptive to His message and saved before they were even born, as well as which were not.

Because of Adam's sin, all of creation became fallen. Some people in their sinfulness have become homosexual. They were sinners from birth, but not homosexuals from birth. Homosexuality resulted from their sinful nature as the grew up.

Note, I'm not singling out homosexuals, just using his point to show him my point with his material. Homosexuality is no greater a sin than lusting or cheating on your wife.
In YOUR limited and bigoted view perhaps. Lucky for us science and reason says quite different.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
I feel bad for you, that you are so shallow, so empty inside, so uneducated that you grasp onto a belief in some ghost in the clouds. Rather you should believe in yourself, and your fellow man, to have faith in our species.
You need to choose your words wisely and not get out of line. Don't mock our religion. It's our choice, not yours. I do believe in myself and my species and believe that through God anything is possible. Basically that's what the entire message of the Bible is. Believe in yourself and God and you will accomplish anything.

Flame me
Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Yin

take it easy. you guys take yourselves way too seriously. he's only "mocking" because of the original tone. learn to discuss and grow a thicker skin, and you might enjoy your time here.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Take myself too seriously? I'm not Johnny Factoid up there that just called my God a " ghost in the sky", your right. Pardon me for thinking that was out of line.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
BTW, I'm not a religious type at all.
In fact, I'm the Anti Christ.
You might have to battle Jeff for that claim.

oh and... oh noes another religion thread.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by colton.
Take myself too seriously? I'm not Johnny Factoid up there that just called my God a " ghost in the sky", your right. Pardon me for thinking that was out of line.
To be fair, do you happen to have scientific proof of the existence of "god". I would like to point out, that without such, its just a theory, subjective to the view of the person looking at said theory.

What my view is, should not "offend" you, as I see it. My take on the whole bible thing is, its a nice story book filled with fiction...thats it. I see no truth in it for me.

Last edited by Overbear; 08-18-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Yin

and they wonder why there are wars
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM

I'm not trying to start an arguement that's just my opinion and everybody is entitled to one. But I really don't see a problem with teaching about the Bible in school. It could be benficial for kids to learn and understand multiple religions. To understand the different cultures of the world sort of
Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Yin

^ i agree (read post #34).

but The Bible does not imply multiple religions. i'm just sayin.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
You need to choose your words wisely and not get out of line. Don't mock our religion. It's our choice, not yours. I do believe in myself and my species and believe that through God anything is possible. Basically that's what the entire message of the Bible is. Believe in yourself and God and you will accomplish anything.

Flame me
Who do you think you are, and what gives you the right to not get offended? I'm sure you don't have a problem with a non-believer being offended, but god forbid someone offend you.

How about this: I'll say whatever the **** I want, within the confines of the rules of this site.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Overbear
In YOUR limited and bigoted view perhaps. Lucky for us science and reason says quite different.
Why do you consider his viewpoint bigoted?

Homosexuality is not natural, from a purely scientific point of view; genetic material may be swapped, but offspring are not produced, which is the purpose of sex.
Yes, I am aware that other species have homosexual members.

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 08-18-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
How is that a flaw? An all powerful eternal and omnipotent being created everything with His Word. It is a matter of faith, but it is consistent with the rest of the Bible. What God says is.

On the other hand, the BB and M-t-M evolution have BIG flaws. ie:

1) Where did the original matter that went BANG come from?

2) No one can logically explain or prove how inorganic material from the BANG became organic material, which "led" to the existence of life. There is no process know to man in which inorganic material becomes organic.

3) Our DNA is encoded with... wait for it... wait for it... CODED Material Coded material is Information and NO NATURAL process known to man gives birth to information. So with a Secular Humanist belief how do you explain where it came from?

4) M-t-M Evolution... Requires the opposite of what we see in nature with regards to information. When reproduction and mutation occur, we see a loss in information. M-t-M Evolution requires seeing a GAIN in information, which does not happen. This is not the same as adaptation. Adaptation is real, M-t-M Evolution is not.
Do you even know what science is? Creationism is not a testable theory.

Regarding your first point, since I could go no further because my soul started to weep the more I read your post: where did the original matter/energy/whatever for GOD come from? Or is he/she/it exempt from the same logic because you want he/she/it to be?

Take note: I ****ing hate religious zealots, and I don't care who I offend in regards to that. If you want to not be offended, then maybe you should grow up and stop believing in a space-daddy fairy tale myth.

Quick Reply: Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.