Best Tuner in Bay Area? - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Road tuning will give more realistic results, since your TMIC, air intake, etc will all be getting air exactly how it will be like when you're driving. More air, the faster you're going. However, on dynos, there are fans which just force the air into the car never changing the amount being passed through.

The reason why people like dynos, is because it's in a safer, more controlled environment. No extra outside effects, like slope of the road, traffic, etc gets in the way of the tune.
Also don't forget about the load that the car experiences. Dynos try to simulate a realistic load curve but never get just right. This results in inconsistent boost control once the car is back on the road and still requires at least some fine tuning on the road to get things dialed in perfectly. Road tuning also allows for more thorough testing and tuning in various gears and during hard shifting.

That being said, road tuning isn't for everyone. If you don't feel comfortable with the procedure, dyno tuning is the other option.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
that's really good info to know. it sounds to me like a road tune is the best way to go for the sake of the car. ed you will be hearing from me in the future for a road tune
thanks, chris
________
Harmed By Zoloft

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
def go to ED @ EQ tuning

the man has MAGICs

road tuning .. real load, real air. real simulation, and real temp, for real cars. haha

ROAD TUNING FTMFW.........

he got me 11.7 on stock turbo (vf39) STi.

- sean..
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
Originally Posted by darkonion
There is no one reason why one is better than the other. Choose the one that is either more conveniently located near you or has an opening available to get you in for a tune.
I'm sorry man, but your statement almost made me wanna puke. Tuners don't all have the same logic and style of tuning. There are multiple reasons why one tuner is better than the other. Such as consistency, smoothness, boost control, reliability, quality, patience.... the list can go on and on about why one tuner is better than the other.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by AdamBOMB_STi
I'm sorry man, but your statement almost made me wanna puke. Tuners don't all have the same logic and style of tuning. There are multiple reasons why one tuner is better than the other. Such as consistency, smoothness, boost control, reliability, quality, patience.... the list can go on and on about why one tuner is better than the other.
his comment is true, they are both good. Do you have any worthwhile input your just complaining about what others say
Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by mudman
If all you've got is light mods (exhaust, headers, upgraded intercooler etc..), then EQ will be fine...but if you have a stage 4 firebreathing, alcohol injecting, mega-turbo set-up running race fuel then you should definately wait a few weeks for updates.

Oh, and take the power figures EQ gives you with a grain of salt One thing for sure though, EQ has a ton of very happy customers.
why is this? from what I see ed is very close to gst dyno??

maybe you aren't familar with eds setup?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 AM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
his comment is true, they are both good. Do you have any worthwhile input your just complaining about what others say
I have been to a few different tuners and their goals and tuning styles all differed from each other. And for him to say just go with the most locally convenient tuner didn't make sense to me at all. You can go ahead and trust any old "local" joe shmoe to tune your car, then report back to me with your results.

Last edited by AdamBOMB_STi; 11-05-2007 at 12:40 AM.