Best Tuner in Bay Area? - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Good thing most people are being civil here. But for the remainder... I can't believe people actually take sides on an issue like this. Ed and Mike work together comparing notes all the time. In the end, everybody wins.

End of story - the bay area is a pretty big market for tuning and there doesn't need to be any head banging. The sense of competition is created by "fanbois" bashing in the name of their tuner. Like with most business, competition is usually mutually destructive.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by c32c7
I still think Mike isn't at the level that Shiv is at tuning wise. Maybe when it comes to Subarus, yeah. But ask Mike to tune a new E90 BMW 335ci or a Porsche 996 TT and see what happens. Car companies like Mazda, BMW, etc don't just give Shiv cars to play around with for nothing.

except for two things.......we're not talking about a porsche and shiv is a *****.

I wanted to thank Jeremy for remaining partial. Great post my friend. Mike and Ed are perfect examples of what it's suppose to be like in my opinion with our community here. Communication. Ed has never been one to say he know's all and either has mike. From my experience with both of them and those of my friends I really appreciate the fact that they are both great guys and they do talk to each other about tuning and ask questions.

some problems have happened over the years where people that were too competitive and too self centered made mistakes that could have been avoided had they stopped and asked a question or two to other professionals in the area.

Saying that......how's your project....projects going....all of em.

Oh and jeremy..did you call me the other day???
Old 10-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by verc
Good thing most people are being civil here. But for the remainder... I can't believe people actually take sides on an issue like this. Ed and Mike work together comparing notes all the time. In the end, everybody wins.

True, the evo tuners are the same exact way. They are more their to help each other than anything. The only evo tunes that get bashed are the silly mail in ones by fat al
Old 10-20-2006, 10:16 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ucbsti
True, the evo tuners are the same exact way. They are more their to help each other than anything. The only evo tunes that get bashed are the silly mail in ones by fat al

haaaaa. true that.

I really respect the way guys like Ed and Mike work together. It can only add to their knowledge and make the end products for us better.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:22 AM

Yup, same goes for andy, paul, and mike. Andy and Paul toon together a lot at EIP, and the results are fantastic. 300whp evo IXs on pump with no cams, 275whp evo IXs completely stock on pump
Old 10-22-2006, 07:53 AM

The first data point for me confirms what most folks have been saying.

I talked with Ed and told him that I'm considering both him and Mike for tuning. He completely understood, and told me that he'd be happy to check out my AFRs (for free) before I decided who I wanted to do the tune. I understand that this was to a certain degree a sales technique ... give them a little free thing, then hook them for the real sale ... but the truth is this shows that Ed:

A) Wants cars to be running well
B) Trusts that by helping me out a little, he'll win me over

Long story short, we spent several hours driving around, testing things out, talking about my options, and though I still want to talk with Mike later, I'm pretty confident I wany Ed to work on my car. He seems like a great guy, who knows what he's doing, and is willing to work with me to find the solution for my car that will make me the happiest.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM

Car Info: subaru sti
Originally Posted by c32c7
I still think Mike isn't at the level that Shiv is at tuning wise. Maybe when it comes to Subarus, yeah. But ask Mike to tune a new E90 BMW 335ci or a Porsche 996 TT and see what happens. Car companies like Mazda, BMW, etc don't just give Shiv cars to play around with for nothing.
Well done..
Old 10-29-2006, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
update?

Bump for any updates/news on this...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
And pauls old pos maps, and doesn't-works, etc
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by earlyapex
And pauls old pos maps, and doesn't-works, etc
lol..pauls maps are better these days =P
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
lol..pauls maps are better these days =P
Too bad poor souls payed $600 before and got **** tunes.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
bump for more info on this.

Why do you guys think one is better than the other? Have you gotten your car tuned by both?

Good experiences...bad experiences?

Getting my car tuned in 3 weeks and I need to make a decision.
Only set-back for me right now about ED is that he does not dyno tune which i guess is more realistic..but it bugs me for some reason lol.

So bump for more input.

-Theo
Old 11-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
There is no one reason why one is better than the other. Choose the one that is either more conveniently located near you or has an opening available to get you in for a tune.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by theo79

Only set-back for me right now about ED is that he does not dyno tune which i guess is more realistic..but it bugs me for some reason lol.

-Theo
I can arrange for dyno time if that's the direction you'd really like to go, but in general road tuning will give you a more appropriate tune for real conditions.

Shoot me an e-mail or call if you have any questions.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by theo79
bump for more info on this.

Why do you guys think one is better than the other? Have you gotten your car tuned by both?

Good experiences...bad experiences?

Getting my car tuned in 3 weeks and I need to make a decision.

So bump for more input.

-Theo

Road tuning will give more realistic results, since your TMIC, air intake, etc will all be getting air exactly how it will be like when you're driving. More air, the faster you're going. However, on dynos, there are fans which just force the air into the car never changing the amount being passed through.

The reason why people like dynos, is because it's in a safer, more controlled environment. No extra outside effects, like slope of the road, traffic, etc gets in the way of the tune.

Quick Reply: Best Tuner in Bay Area? - Part II