best sushi joint in SJ/milpitas/Santa Clara Area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM

Sushi Ichiban in Morgan Hill!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
KareBear

Car Info: '07 SWP STi
:wave:
Originally Posted by blacktraxgirl
*hugs* i miss keri!
awwww *hugs*

:wave:
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
*tear of joy
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by xqwizit
Not sure if it matters to you guys but many of the sushi places in South Bay are not Japanese run/owned. Most if not all of them are Korean owned/ran and they may have never been to Japan before. A coworker of mine tells me that there is a Korean Sushi school down in LA and they apparently just give these "Sushi Chef certificates" to anybody who is willing to pay their school feels. I dunno about you guys but Korean/Chinese owned Japanese restaurants just irk me.
never knew you gotta be japanese to make sushi
Old 02-01-2008, 08:28 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by RU-X
I don't think he's saying that you have to be Japanese to make sushi, but the quality difference is extremely obvious between a Japanese and non-Japanese Sushi chef.

My dad's friend, who owns Sushi Club (the place where I recommended earlier) told me that it takes over 3 years to learn how to cut sushi correctly. Just how to cut it! I'm sure many non-Japanese (hell, probably most American born Japanese too) don't have the same respect for sushi, and wouldn't dedicate over 3 years of their life to learn how to prepare sushi, because it seems so simple.

Plus, there's a lot of Chinese run Japanese restaurants, that'll make it "Chinese style" so Yakisoba is chow mein, etc. That really bugs me.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM

Car Info: 20psi Daily!
I usually go to Sen Dai Sushi off of Calveras in Milpitas. Everything there is pretty much good and cheap in price.

my gf's been bugging me to go to cherry sushi for awhile, but after reading everyone recommend it, i might just have to check it out
Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
sushi house in alameda sucks..way over rated..try a lil spot off Jackson exit in hayward right next door to 24hr fitness..called naked fish..Alameda's katsu sushi on webster is hella good too..Theres this other spot in sf near USF in china town on a corner(forgot the name)..but its damn cheap and its served in the lil boats like sushi boat...pretty good...i eat too much sushi..anyways I'd be down for a sushi meet
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TSNWrX07
sushi house in alameda sucks..way over rated..try a lil spot off Jackson exit in hayward right next door to 24hr fitness..called naked fish..Alameda's katsu sushi on webster is hella good too..Theres this other spot in sf near USF in china town on a corner(forgot the name)..but its damn cheap and its served in the lil boats like sushi boat...pretty good...i eat too much sushi..anyways I'd be down for a sushi meet
Naked Fish? Is that the place with all the crazy rolls, like the elvis rock n roll? If it is, that place is good if you want to taste sauce. If you want fish, I'd highly recommend avoiding it.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Not insulting others but STI-owns-Evo said it well. Once you've been to Japan, you'll realize how much pride they have in their line of work even if it seems meaningless. You don't necessarily have to be Japanese to make Sushi but I'm asian and can cook Jambalaya. My Jambalaya may look the same but it won't taste the same as somebody who grew up with it and learned it as a lifetime career instead of just doing it for a paycheck.

I highly recommend everyone who has a chance to go to Japan and try their Sushi. I recommend SushiZanMai in Tokyo. It's a chain but they have the best value in my mind, especially the one in Yurakcho. There's others but you can spend a lot less or a lot more and the quality is all top notch.

Originally Posted by RU-X
Old 02-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by imHELLAslow
I usually go to Sen Dai Sushi off of Calveras in Milpitas. Everything there is pretty much good and cheap in price.

my gf's been bugging me to go to cherry sushi for awhile, but after reading everyone recommend it, i might just have to check it out
I thought I was the only one that goes to
Sen Dai Sushi!

Not the best Sushi in the world, but very cheap price. You can get an entire bento box for $5.

I've been to (rated in order) Pink Godzilla, Mikuni in Sacramento, Sushi House, Miyake, and YoYo.

YoYo at Rivermart is not a bad place to get the "baked" sushi like they have at Sushi House in Alameda.

I think I"m going to try Cherry Sushi now.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by Lurk
+1 on Tomisushi
werd, just went there today with some coworkers and it was pretty damn good.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Tried sushi 85 last night in mtn view. It was really poor imo

Fish wasnt fresh, most of the all-you can eat menu was deep friend or ladden with massive amount of "Crab" and the rice was uber mushy. I would rather have spent my 23/per person at to dai
Old 02-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ucbsti
Tried sushi 85 last night in mtn view. It was really poor imo

Fish wasnt fresh, most of the all-you can eat menu was deep friend or ladden with massive amount of "Crab" and the rice was uber mushy. I would rather have spent my 23/per person at to dai
Wow, saying todai is better is a pretty bold statement. Todai's sushi is the lowest of lows...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
it really wasnt good at all. And the last todai I had was in vegas, and it was actually a pretty good meal
Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI Silver/78 911sc/ktm380exc/03 RC51/F4i
I agree SEMO is bomb, Fremont roll all day