Best laptop for under 1200?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
what dont you like about your dell? i have a dell laptop and freakin have nothing bad to say about it exept i wish it had a filter for **** virus attacks haha

edgar,
Crap keeps failing left and right.

My ethernet port is gone, I've gone through AC adapters just from having them suddenly give up on me, and other crap like that.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:44 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Originally Posted by crashnscar
Crap keeps failing left and right.

My ethernet port is gone, I've gone through AC adapters just from having them suddenly give up on me, and other crap like that.

Did you buy it new?doesnt it come with something like "americas best warrenty!"

... i dunno i saw it on TV

Last edited by slagehammer; 05-30-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by slagehammer
Did you buy it new?doesnt it come with something like "americas best warrenty!"

... i dunno i saw it on TV
HAHAHA! Yeah right. Dell? Warranty? Everything breaks after you have had it for a year, especially if you don't buy the extended warranty.

But yes, I did buy it new.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
I work at a computer shop in Los Altos and I can tell you right now, that you pretty much get what you pay for. Unless you find some crazy deal on say ***************. In any case, the IBM Thinkpad's are going to be more expensive - as they are orientated more for business end users.

For the applications you want to run, you'll want to get at the very least a Pentium M / Centrino Mobile chip. Adding more memory and changing out the hard drive only means more money. 50% of the laptop cost is just the screen and the small main board made specifically for the laptop.

Out of curiosity, why not get a desktop? It will be less expensive and more powerful if you spent the same 1200.

-GDO
Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Originally Posted by Onizuka
the answer to all your troubles... Dell ran a promotion multiple times recently that was 750 off a 1500 laptop purchase- makes paying normal price seem flat out dumb.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:56 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Man, that thing was held together by some scotch tape, the last I saw it. You only had it for a bit over a year and the damn thing's already falling apart! I'm partial towards Fujitsu and Toshiba BTW.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Onizuka
Out of curiosity, why not get a desktop? It will be less expensive and more powerful if you spent the same 1200.

-GDO
I need a laptop because I use it at 2 houses, school, and work.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 AM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
Macs are what you're looking for. Perfect for Photoshop and Premiere (the Powerbook series that is). You can get a Powerbook 1.5ghz with 512ram with a 12" screen (very portable), for $1400 or so. Forget about system crashes, etc.

I switched to a 15" Powerbook G4 and never think back.

Oleg
Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 AM

Car Info: 2005 Blue STi Gold Wheels Piggy Stickers!!!
Talking Here is my 2 cents.

I have been a Network Engineer for over seven years. I buy laptops and desktops for our company and this is what I would recomend.
First off folks are right if you want to play games expect to buy a $2,500 + laptop. If you only need to do word processing, and IM etc I would sugest a gateway. HP, IBM, and Dell are similer in the fact that things will brake. Spend the money on the extended warentee PLEASE!!! you will use it. I like Gateway for one reason. When you call their support line you speak to someone in the US!!! Woohooo... It isn't like I am predjudice, but lets just say, my mom who is retired knows more about computers, than Dell support.
The total came out to $1,600 but this includes a 4 year you brake it we replace it warentee. We have dropped laptops braking the LCD and they send us a new chassis in the mail overnight. Talk about awsome service. This will pay for it self the first time you brake something. They also send out a tech if you need it.
Gateway® M460X
Gateway recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional.
Special Offer: Free Port Replicator w/ 120 Watt AC Adapter for M460 (shipping & handling extra)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Application Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 512MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-256MB modules)
Video: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Hard Drive: 60GB 5400rpm Ultra ATA hard drive
Optical Drive: Modular 24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD combo
Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Notebook Total Protection Plan -- 4 year parts/labor/on-site/4 year toll technical support w/ 4 year ADP ........ [+US$389.99]
Carrying Case: Casual Carrying Case ........ [+US$49.99]
Battery: Primary 6-Cell Lithium ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr. limited battery warranty
Speakers: External speakers not selected
Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g wireless networking card
AntiVirus Software: Norton Internet Security 90 day introductory offer
Mobile Technology: Features Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology
Floppy Drive: Integrated 4-in-1 card reader
Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, TV Out, S-Video, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
Screen: 15.4" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
Keyboard and Mouse: Full-Sized Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers, headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks
Modem: Integrated V.90 56K Modem
Network Adapter: Integrated Broadcom® 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter
Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access
Part Number: 1008353
Additional Software: Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 6.0, McAfee AntiSpyware 30 day introductory offer and Google Toolbar
Price: $1,639.97
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Myself and my pops have had bad luck with both Gateway and Dell laptops. I will have to check the model numbers. I have always hated Dell laptops because of the cases, keyboard feel, and build quality (or lack thereof). I switched to IBM Thinkpads and have been happy since. I had a T21 and now have a T30 I have had for about 2 years. The thing goes with me everywhere and has never had a problem. A friend just picked up a used T41 off eBay with a lot of accessories for around $1600 I think. I would carefully research and go that route since computers depreciate so fast anyway.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
and build quality (or lack thereof). I switched to IBM Thinkpads and have been happy since.
Interesting given that for the past few years, both the Thinkpads and the Dells have been built in the same factorys by the same companies. (Quantum & Compal).
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM

I've worked with HP/Compaq, IBM, Sony, Dell and Toshiba laptops. Personally if I had to buy one, I would get either an IBM or Toshiba. Both have held up to abuse. And for a laptop... buy an extended warranty.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by mcowger
Interesting given that for the past few years, both the Thinkpads and the Dells have been built in the same factorys by the same companies. (Quantum & Compal).
Are you serious? Have you used either before? From the models I have played with or used there were NO similarities between the two (ie compare a Lexus LS400 to a Tercel) The keyboards on every Dell I have used are the tackiest feeling/sounding keyboards ever IMHO. The cases creak and squeek like you could fold it in half if you gave it a good twist.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Are you serious? Have you used either before? From the models I have played with or used there were NO similarities between the two (ie compare a Lexus LS400 to a Tercel) The keyboards on every Dell I have used are the tackiest feeling/sounding keyboards ever IMHO. The cases creak and squeek like you could fold it in half if you gave it a good twist.
Absolutely serious. Have used pretty much every current dell (1100, 600m, 700m, 8600, 9100, 9300, 6000, 300m) as well as many of the IBMs.

They do have some different parts (like keyboards as you noted, though I prefer the dell keyboard over the IBM one, hard drives), but the cases and screens are pretty much the same.

This may change in the future, as the IBM PC line was purchased by Lenovo and may be moved to China.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 2005 Blue STi Gold Wheels Piggy Stickers!!!
Talking

We just got a Dell XPS 3K plus laptop and it feels ok, but then again we are talking topof the line here.
Most of our company uses the Gateway 680 series laptop also a top of the line, and all of them have worked well. I can't say much on the lower end units, but we do have folks running the 400 series and they are very happy with them.

My main concern to think about is if it brakes what do you do? Sony, and some other manufactuerers require you to ship them to an authorized repair center. In some cases this may mean two plus weeks with out your laptop. Depending on the use this may or may not be ok.

We also have a couple of users with Alianware laptops and although they are real cool their service is less than apropriate for a work laptop.

I guess in the end it comes down to what do you want to pay, and how long can you go with out it, and you data if it brakes. Some times the extra $200.00 you may save now will come back to hunt you if you need to go with out it for two weeks right before a final is due.

Quick Reply: Best laptop for under 1200?