best japanese restaurant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX 06 CGM FORESTER XT
[QUOTE=Imprezzy]...in a hurry for diarrhea!

LOL - good point- poor quality just lots of it...
Old 07-15-2005, 08:38 AM

Car Info: '21 STI
Sushi house in Alameda owns. The special rolls are to die for.

Blowfish is good, but way overpriced. Especially if you order drinks.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Ooooo Higuma in Red Wood city. Try to find it though.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Higuma...0.605347&hl=en

this it?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 05 Audi S4... trying to mod the driver!!!
Sushi Sams in San Mateo (on 3rd).... make sure to sit at the bar and have Sam do the Chef's special for you and get at least one Chili Dog.

Kuboto in SF around Geary and 16th? Totally worth any amount of time you will have to wait.

Both of these are not cheap so be prepared.

I live in Los Gatos and basically drive up to Sushi Sams when I want good sushi.

lndbrusr
Old 07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
I went to Zushi Puzzle on Lombard St. in SF a few weeks ago and the sushi was quite good. Prices were pretty reasonable.

I'm going to try Tsunami's on Fulton Street in the next week or two. I've heard they are pretty good also.

If you aren't into the raw stuff, you might want to try Ebisu on 9th Avenue. I tried them a long time ago and thought it was pretty good. They've been highly rated by SF Weekly for the past several years.

I'm going to a restaurant show in SSF next Saturday. Should be pretty cool. They are flying in a few people from Tokyo for various demonstrations they are putting on. I want to check out a few of their demontrations. There will be a guy from Masamoto Knives (I bought a 270mm Yanagiba from the guy they are sending when I was in Tsukiji) talking about knives including sharpening, a tuna cleaning and prep demonstration and they will have Sake and sushi tasting. Should be fun. Plus, I think they said they would have a 25% discount on all of their Masamoto knives and they will engrave your name on the knife if you purchase one.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
Tomisushi on saratoga ave in san jose (in mitsuwa plaza). good stuff! or their sister restaurant sushi maru in the sunnyvale town center.

but the best sushi restaurant is Tsurugi!!! mmmmmm! That's in san luis obispo though... :l

all japanese owned and operated
Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
kitaro on geary is awesome....very good sushi and dishes for great prices...their sister restaurant kiki off of irving is good too, although smaller...

the one japanese restaurant that i thought was outstanding is Okazu Ya off of Noriega St.

their sizzling dishes are off the hook especially the catfish...very very good...and their sushi is really good too...atmosphere in this restaurant is dope too, nice and open and a really cool place to hangout...they are open till 2am in the morning on think on Fridays and Saturdays too....check it out guys...totally worth it and not too expensive either..

daniel
Old 07-15-2005, 11:39 AM

Ariyake on Stevens Creek and Lawrence... been along time.. but it was good last time i went.

Miyaki - De Anza Blvd

Benihana - Japanese Steak House with some sushi on the side. - Wolfe and Hwy280

House of Ghenji - Same good stuff as Benihana with less of a burden on the wallet. First street Somewhat near Brokaw in San Jose.

Yo Yo Sushi - used to be sushi lovers - Mercado Shopping center in santa clara.
They have some very intereting rolls you wont find elsewhere.. worth a try. new menu is much different from the old sushi lovers.

good luck.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 PM

Car Info: '00 GT Wagon, BP wannabe
Tsunami in the city is excellent. Ebisu is pretty good. Blowfish is pretty good but a little overpriced.

Barracuda in Burlingame is pretty good.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by musashi
You can bring a map and you'll still drive right by it. I know where it is and I still miss it fom time to time.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Best in the SouthBay:

Michi Sushi in Campbell on Winchester (this place kicks ****, my fav)

Totoro on Saratoga in San Jose/Saratoga area (I think)

Bay Sushi on Hollenbeck in Sunnyvale

IMHO - Todai is effing nasty, I don't care if it's all you can eat. Ariyake is super meh - the 'Cocos' of sushi. Had some pretty rubbery stuff at the one on El Camino in Sunnyvale 2 times in a row (usually give places 3 tries).
Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM

Gotta agree aboout Bay Sushi..
Its a little hole in the wall. But the food is always very good.
If you dont know where to look you will probably miss it driving by the shopping center where its at. It is hidden around a corner in a strip mall.

I knew a girl who worked there many years back.. cute as a button.

Ariyake has alot of theme rolls which make it interesting.. but beyond that.. they are like most of the other Sushi places.

Todai.. is like the Sizzler of Japanese places. Most of the food isnt sushi.. They specialize in seafood.. but its mostly crab and other crustaceans (cooked). They have all you can eat crab legs.. but you have to get there while they are fresh.. or they are just yuck. its expensive and I wouldnt touch the sushi they do have.. It rarely looks fresh. Ive been to the todai at vallco on 280/wolfe a number of times and the one at eastridge on capitol and tully in san jose.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Favorites for me, in S'vale/Santa Clara :

Truya, El Camino Real in Santa Clara. Pretty good, all-you-can-eat Maki rolls MADE TO ORDER (i.e. fresh....about eleventy billion times better than something like Todai) on M-W nights for $20.

Midori, El Camino Real in Sunnyvale. The owner is a bit nuts (in a good way), food is always excellent.

Also tried Yo Yo Sushi a couple weeks ago, was pleasantly surprised!

If you're looking for authentic Japanese (not necessarily sushi), then go to Tanto on El Camino Real in Sunnyvale. I have coworkers from Japan who frequent the place.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Ebisu's in SF used to be really good. Haven't been in a while so can't comment now. There are some good ones up here, but I doubt you're willing to travel this far for sushi.

Quick Reply: best japanese restaurant?