Bay Bridge Has More Drama than the Wayans family has siblings

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
The first time I went through the "S curve" I didn't know anything about it. I was surprised but my car didn't explode or fly off the bridge so that's cool.

Went across last night on the way to a show in Oakland. My friend from Toronto was with me and was like "should we take this bridge - is it safe?" I said I had no idea and we went across anyway but in my convertible with the top down it was eerie to say the least to hear all the creaking and groaning. Usually I am going across with windows up so I guess I missed all that before. My friend was not amused...
Holy ****, really?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by subaruwrx
Holy ****, really?
Yeah, call me what you like but I am not too sure I will be on that bridge much anymore. Also after hearing some engineers being interviewed saying the bridge was designed with a 75 year lifespan and should have been relieved of service around 10yrs ago.

We were sitting in solid traffic, around 6:30 last night or so (after chillin on the 5th street onramp woop woop, as always). Once we were on the bridge itself we were moving very slowly and a couple times we heard noises, probably just cars up top. Then there was a *groooooaaaaaaaaannpop* and I was like "did you hear that?" My buddy: "**** no I didn't just hear that." Eyes like pie plates. Then a little more ahead a similar noise. Same exchange the other way. Only thing my friend said the rest of the way across was "wonder how many people are sitting there wondering if they are going to make it across this bridge tonight." To which I answered "yeah, it's San Mateo on the way back then."

Brought to you by CalTrans.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah, call me what you like but I am not too sure I will be on that bridge much anymore. Also after hearing some engineers being interviewed saying the bridge was designed with a 75 year lifespan and should have been relieved of service around 10yrs ago.

We were sitting in solid traffic, around 6:30 last night or so (after chillin on the 5th street onramp woop woop, as always). Once we were on the bridge itself we were moving very slowly and a couple times we heard noises, probably just cars up top. Then there was a *groooooaaaaaaaaannpop* and I was like "did you hear that?" My buddy: "**** no I didn't just hear that." Eyes like pie plates. Then a little more ahead a similar noise. Same exchange the other way. Only thing my friend said the rest of the way across was "wonder how many people are sitting there wondering if they are going to make it across this bridge tonight." To which I answered "yeah, it's San Mateo on the way back then."

Brought to you by CalTrans.
Wow. That's scary. Even more of a reason to never leave the city.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Caltrans fails again. 10mph over the limit and that happened? Even in a big rig, that's ridiculous! Why is the guard rail only 3 feet high? If the guard rail would have been higher that wouldn't have happened at all... I can see having a 3 foot tall rail on a straight part of the bridge, but on a section with a turn? I feel really bad for that guys family. I saw the drivers brother in an interview last night on the news and he was bawling, couldn't even talk because he was crying so much... It actually made me a little teary eyed... Something about watching a grown man cry with such strong emotion gets to me every time.

Last edited by brucelee; 11-11-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: a rental car and then a scooter
The day the I-35W bridge in minneapolis collapsed I was supposed to go across it, fortunately my band's practice got canceled. I am not sure if I would have gone across the same exact time but it was around that hour, still scary as ****. but I can tell you that the bridge made no noises, so I really don't know if that's a good indicator of health. but most infrastructures in the US are old or obsolete, so I don't really trust old bridges that much, especially when the volume of traffick has increased like 10 times since when it was built.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by brucelee
Caltrans fails again. 10mph over the limit and that happened? Even in a big rig, that's ridiculous! Why is the guard rail only 3 feet high? If the guard rail would have been higher that wouldn't have happened at all... I can see having a 3 foot tall rail on a straight part of the bridge, but on a section with a turn? I feel really bad for that guys family. I saw the drivers brother in an interview last night on the news and he was bawling, couldn't even talk because he was crying so much... It actually made me a little teary eyed... Something about watching a grown man cry with such strong emotion gets to me every time.
3 feet high is the standard mandated by the state. If that guy wasn't driving 10 over the limit he wouldn't be dead right now either. In a big rig carrying pears, 10 mph could make a huge difference with how that load could shift.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by brucelee
That guy was all, " My brother would NEVER drive over the speed limit EVER. He would rather deliver late than drive over the speed limit."

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about a lawsuit, yet.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
And now theres speed traps @ the S-curve between 11pm & 5am

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1S68.DTL&tsp=1
Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by STiForFun
And now theres speed traps @ the S-curve between 11pm & 5am

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1S68.DTL&tsp=1
The California Highway Patrol has narrowed bridge traffic at the S-curve from five lanes to three between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. to make room for officers stationed there to monitor speed.
I'm sure that won't cause any issues. Nothing like taking a section that is confusing to people who aren't paying attention and adding further confusion.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by ryball
I'm sure that won't cause any issues. Nothing like taking a section that is confusing to people who aren't paying attention and adding further confusion.
We'll see, the flying trucker incident happened during that time period.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Car Info: Drove a Cavalier with a WRX body kit
Originally Posted by ryball
My thoughts exactly.