Bay Area Subaru swap shops

Currently my GM6 coupe with

- JDM V7 head
- JDM V7 wiring
- JDM V7 ecu
- EJ257 block
- VF30
- catless uppipe, downpipe, and exhaust

is in Oakland, CA and I guess my friend blew up my motor. All he told me was that my turbo started serging and smoke started coming out of the exhaust and engine bay than the motor just died. He tried to start the car but it didn't want to start, so basically it seized and there was oil all over the engine bay, on the ground, and it also left a trail of oil (per my friend). He is a toyota tech and he knows shat about subaru's.

Anyways, my question is where is a reputable shop in Oakland that can do a full JDM swap or replace the bottom end if it is the bottom end.

I would just rather have the car fixed in CA instead of renting a truck with a tow bed to trailer it back to Seattle.

thanks

Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
PM "UgLiEz", He had a thread on here, I think they work with subies
Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by blueribbon
Currently my GM6 coupe with

- JDM V7 head
- JDM V7 wiring
- JDM V7 ecu
- EJ257 block
- VF30
- catless uppipe, downpipe, and exhaust

is in Oakland, CA and I guess my friend blew up my motor. All he told me was that my turbo started serging and smoke started coming out of the exhaust and engine bay than the motor just died. He tried to start the car but it didn't want to start, so basically it seized and there was oil all over the engine bay, on the ground, and it also left a trail of oil (per my friend). He is a toyota tech and he knows shat about subaru's.

Anyways, my question is where is a reputable shop in Oakland that can do a full JDM swap or replace the bottom end if it is the bottom end.

I would just rather have the car fixed in CA instead of renting a truck with a tow bed to trailer it back to Seattle.

thanks

Mike
No one in Oakland I know of...but if you go to Novato (30min away maybe) go to LIC. They've done alot of swaps and my car was done by them and is 100% trouble free
www.licmotorsports.com
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 PM

Car Info: GC8
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
No one in Oakland I know of...but if you go to Novato (30min away maybe) go to LIC. They've done alot of swaps and my car was done by them and is 100% trouble free
www.licmotorsports.com
What swap did they perform on your car and if you don't mind tell me what did it set you back?

Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
since you already have all the wiring done it should be much less labor/cost intensive this time around
Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM

I visited there website and they seem competent about subaru's and swaps.

Now my concern is wether I want another EJ257 block with my JDM V7 head or just go with a full JDM EJ207

Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
id go with another ej25

torque owns

edit: Id get it fully checked out first though, it might be a smaller problem than you think

Last edited by ucbsti; 01-04-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM

I don't think it's a small thing especially when all the oil was on the ground and the car doesn't start up

Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by blueribbon
What swap did they perform on your car and if you don't mind tell me what did it set you back?

Mike
Actually I bought my car with a wrx swap. I don't know how much the previous owner paid, but I was dead set on if I got a swapped car it HAD to be done by LIC. Go to the link below for swap info from LIC. If you think that is too much money for parts and labor do it anyways because unless you're seriously knowledgeable in electrical wiring and mechanics and decide to short change yourself to either do it hella cheap/shady looking wiring/etc you'll regret it and spend more in the long run. My swap looks perfect and stock because Adam takes the time to professional do these swaps and of course I have a ref sticker
http://www.licmotorsports.com/conversion.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
Actually I bought my car with a wrx swap. I don't know how much the previous owner paid, but I was dead set on if I got a swapped car it HAD to be done by LIC. Go to the link below for swap info from LIC. If you think that is too much money for parts and labor do it anyways because unless you're seriously knowledgeable in electrical wiring and mechanics and decide to short change yourself to either do it hella cheap/shady looking wiring/etc you'll regret it and spend more in the long run. My swap looks perfect and stock because Adam takes the time to professional do these swaps and of course I have a ref sticker
http://www.licmotorsports.com/conversion.htm

ref sticker? What is that?

I have done 2 JDM swaps myself but now I would rather have somebody else do it. Same me more time and hassle since I work and am in college fulltime also my car being 2 states away doesn't help either

Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
well the bitter-sweet side of it, you couldnt have picked a better place in the country to have your motor blow up in your swapped suby

Both LIC (Novato) and the guys at GST(Hayward) have done their share of motor swaps. Sounds like you'll need a new shortblock and the heads gone through. soory to hear

BTW 'ref sticker' is what they give you when you have a smog legal swap in your car, yours isnt. but if you dont plan on registering your car in CA dont worry about it
Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
well the bitter-sweet side of it, you couldnt have picked a better place in the country to have your motor blow up in your swapped suby

Both LIC (Novato) and the guys at GST(Hayward) have done their share of motor swaps. Sounds like you'll need a new shortblock and the heads gone through. soory to hear

BTW 'ref sticker' is what they give you when you have a smog legal swap in your car, yours isnt. but if you dont plan on registering your car in CA dont worry about it
+1 on a ref sticker if you live in CA