Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
Also can you guys edit your posts and put what city it was? I want to know where to stay out of..
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM

Car Info: 02 Bugeye STI, 07 Forester XT 18GXT-R
A cop started this thread
Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
uh oh .... cop started ... now me scared
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
27, white male.
Two cars, the Legacy wagon and the STi. Got one ticker for tint in the STi (2 days after I bought it, still had the wing, and 15% tint in front from the previous owner). I live in Sac now, but have lived in Santa Cruz, the east bay, etc, and I'm down there all the time on the weekends (East Bay, Peninsula, wherever) with both cars for family stuff and friends. I don't get pulled over, and I've never been hassled unnecessarily. Note that I generally don't drive like a jackhole, I run a V1, and I keep a wary eye out for LEO's, especially before wringing out the ST in in 4th during a pass or whatever.

Wagon:
Slammed, gold wheels, Stoptechs, Morettes, yellow fogs, tucked front plate, limo tint (50% on driver and passenger fronts), grill, exhaust, Japanese lights, racks.
Drove it for over 2 years with a full catless/header setup with an N1 fartcan (has an STi catback on it now). Was 110db on a 4k rev in a parking lot, let alone under load. Burbled like a cammed V8 and is one of the loudest cars I've ever heard, including open dumps. Seriously, it was retarded.
Pulled over once in ~8 years (speeding, caught by plane), barely even glanced at otherwise.

STi:
Slammed, bronze 18's, wingless, wrx skirts, relocated front plate, skidguard, pink badge+supertones, limo tint (70% on driver and passenger fronts), Cobb exhaust, mudflaps, rack, stickers.
Exhaust is loud when you get on it (Invidia DP -> cobb CBE) but not too bad when cruising.
When I got it, it was tinted all around and had the stock wing. Remedied that problem within 2 weeks, haven't had any issues since. Police and CHP roll by me on the freeway or on city streets without even looking.

(on the winters)

What I see happening to a lot of guiys that get hassled is that their cars jump out at you. It's a catch-22; we modify on some level to get attention or respect (everyone who's posted a pic online or shown off a new part at a meet, etc) but that same thing is what you don't want from a certain segment of the motoring population - law enforcement.

Now, I'm a white kid, and I know I probably don't get profiled like a lot of guys do; that's just an unfortunate reality. The wagon is an Outback, for chrissakes; I love the anonymity of it even though it has a ton done to it because it appeals on some level to people who appreciate the utility of it, and it completely slides under the radar because most "street racers" are not driving old station wagons, let alone ones with every suspension piece replaced, big brakes, etc etc. The STi looks similarly low-key; it has a bunch of stuff done to it, but to the average person, it's a little white sedan with roof racks and stuff that happens to have a big scoop you might see in your rearview mirror if you're paying attention. Both of the cars have legal(ish) tint, front plates, current tags, etc etc.

I think that's the key for me; all of the cars I've ever had are built as what the Euro kids call OEM+, where it's something that, for the most part, looks like it could be a factory model. You add and switch parts, but you use factory bits that fit correctly and follow the lines of the car, etc. That mentality differs from a lot of the cars that are festooned with lips, wings, vinyl, big exhausts, carbon fiber hoods and accessories, etc. I love those cars just as much as the next guy, but I prefer the car that you notice only *after* it runs away from you through the twisties or disappears into a hole in traffic.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by sybir; 01-31-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by 06STi
I'd tell you but thats bragging about not being stopped and dont want a ticket tomorow morning.
Nope, not bragging at all. I went to Starbucks about 45 min ago and ran into one of Palo Alto's finest also getting coffee. Talked for about five minutes yada.. yada.. nice new red mud flaps, yada.. yada.. See you at your work next Tues night.. *handshake* Laterz..
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by sybir
I want your car so bad... I like the goldies... when did you get those?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx
i got 5% tint on the back and rear windshield, 20% in the front, greddy evo exhaust, dropped by tien s tech springs and hks bov. havn't got pulled over once... maybe its cuz i got a united states army license plate frame =]
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
sedan
catless TBE
louder than stock but not very loud
my dad was driving it and he went to 4k RPM and there was a cop pretty far back and still pulled us over.
the cop gave us a fix ticket.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Car Info: A TAYLOR MADE
"Rancho Cambodia" Haha, they have a lot more to worry about than modded cars there. I live in "Citrus Harlem" but I stay away from Rancho at al costs!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Car Info: STI 2004
i....
Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 85 MR2 & 89 Alltrac Camry
My 88 SC coupe was dark blue & was loooouuuuudddd. Like car alarm going off loud & lowered like crazy. I had no cat & clear corners.

My 85 NA is a coupe & bright red. It is fairly loud to some people but not to me.

I have never been given a ticket when in any of the MR2s I have owned since I've lived in Nor Cal. I was pulled over once for a license plate light being out.

Now before I moved from So Cal is another story, you guys have no idea how lucky you are up here.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
asian male, 17 years old. haven't been pulled over
05 wrx sedan
totally stock from outside
car isn't much louder than stock (stock uppipe, catless downpipe, stock catback)
but i'm getting a blitz nur spec r soon so things might change........hopefully not.

Originally Posted by 06STi
Also can you guys edit your posts and put what city it was? I want to know where to stay out of..
i suggest you stay away from the cities such as dublin, san ramon, pleasanton cause i heard they do look out for modded exhausts.
(i don't think they have anything better to do since the crime rate is so low)

Last edited by KrAzYkld; 03-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
22 white guy lol
2004 wrx
18g
4in TBE really loud
EWG
CAI
meth kit
the loudest wrx I have ever heard.
also limo tint on all 5
slammed on 17's

Never been pulled over in 4 years, I don't drive like a ***. I think that the reason why I have never been messed with in my car.

pic

Old 03-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld

i suggest you stay away from the cities such as Dublin, san ramon, pleasanton cause i heard they do look out for modded exhausts.
Cant be as bad as were I live now. Lafayette and Walnut Creek

I used to have to roll threw Danville on the way home to Blackhawk. I found if you just roll and don't be stupid they don't mess with you. There's far to many speeding soccer moms to make money from.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
i suggest you stay away from the cities such as dublin, san ramon, pleasanton cause i heard they do look out for modded exhausts.
I've lived in San Ramon, worked in Dublin, and Walnut Creek, now when I come up from college, my parents live in Livermore, but all my friends are still in San Ramon. I've never been hassled by cops for mods. Though, they have obviously profiled me, no tickets on exhaust, tint, or any mods. Worst I've seen in that area are cops just turning on their sirens to go through a red light, then turn it off and continue driving normally.

The worst I've experienced is actually in So Cal. I've had:
- cops in the next lane swerve at me and then change back into their lanes right in front of a junction, so they immediately take off on the other freeway so I can't get their license or car number down.

- cops fly down college roads with people crossing it easily going over 40 in the 25 zone without their siren or lights on.

- paced for miles while there was a guy who was actually honking at people to speed up.

- I was making a left turn, with the green arrow (so no, I'm not supposed to worry about yielding to oncoming traffic), and a cop coming in the direction towards me decides he doesn't need to stop before making a right turn and almost head ons me. I slam on the brakes and he takes off, so once again I can't get a license or car # to report.

Quick Reply: Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?