Bay Area photographers, where do you get you gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Bay Area photographers, where do you get you gear?

Online? Locally? If locally, where?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
calumet for film and stuff that i gotta have it right away. b&h if i'm ordering online. had bad experience with adorama.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I shop around on various online stores. None worth mentioning as I usually look for whichever has the lowest price/shipping.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM

Car Info: 2006 AW STi
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
calumet for film and stuff that i gotta have it right away. b&h if i'm ordering online. had bad experience with adorama.
Went through B&H online for a Canon fisheye lens. Packaged it up nice with protective wrap and came before estimated time which was 3 days regular shipping.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
online @ B&H for damn sure.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
I've tried adorama and beachcamera, good exp with both. I bought my newest lens from keeble and schuchat in palo alto. I've had mixed exps. with them.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
people, never every buy anything from Adorama. they are jerks and will rip you off. keeble and shuchat are excellent people. if you want to go to san francisco, calumet photo is another great place.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 AM

Car Info: 2000 Subaru Impreza RSTi
Amazon ----- 30 days return policy, can't beat that
Old 04-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Yeah I like going in store. too expensive if you haven't played with the stuff to just buy online sight unseen. Keeble and schuchat was awesome, went there on advice from this site and I tried everything out before I bought..........pretty sweet place...........San Jose camera is ok, and there is 1 ritz that has a decent amm of crap which is close to SAN JO camera i believe. If you know exactly what you want b&h, but if you want advice or just to hear what people have to say (very valueable imo) then go to Keeble.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Where is a good place in the south bay to go look at equipment? Preferably a place with people who are in the know and won't pressure you to buy stuff.

Also, and this is semi-off topic, are places that are knowledgeable regarding still photography also alright for video equipment?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
B&h
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by mcowger
B&h
w3rd. Spent thousands with them, never one bad experience.

I've heard with Adorama, they pull the bait and switch, have something online at a certain price, then call and try to get you to upgrade to something, I've even read where people do not want to upgrade, but are still charged and sent the upgraded item. YIKES!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
my DSLR from Amazon (Amazon, not a seller selling through Amazon). Lenses will probably be through Sony or Circuit City (same prices). Film from the locol photography store (does anyone else sell a real variety of film anymore?)

Honestly, I wish I could afford to support the local photography store for everything, but for some things it really isn't an option for me.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by musashi
Where is a good place in the south bay to go look at equipment? Preferably a place with people who are in the know and won't pressure you to buy stuff.

Also, and this is semi-off topic, are places that are knowledgeable regarding still photography also alright for video equipment?
what equipment are you looking for?

i don't know about keeble, but calumet carries a range of video stuff and i'm sure you'll find the right people there for questions.

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
my DSLR from Amazon (Amazon, not a seller selling through Amazon). Lenses will probably be through Sony or Circuit City (same prices). Film from the locol photography store (does anyone else sell a real variety of film anymore?)

Honestly, I wish I could afford to support the local photography store for everything, but for some things it really isn't an option for me.
what kind of film are you looking for? i have never ordered film from b&h because of fear of the film getting zapped by xray during shipping. calumet still has a good amount in store, not like it used to be but still has quite a choice (call ahead to save you a trip). my co-worker just got turned onto freestyle photographic supplies for his b&w film.

same here about supporting the local stores. it's hard to support them because you do save so much money buying online. prices are lower and some places have no tax. for a $1,000 item, no tax is already $85 for me.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
what equipment are you looking for?

i don't know about keeble, but calumet carries a range of video stuff and i'm sure you'll find the right people there for questions.

what kind of film are you looking for? i have never ordered film from b&h because of fear of the film getting zapped by xray during shipping. calumet still has a good amount in store, not like it used to be but still has quite a choice (call ahead to save you a trip). my co-worker just got turned onto freestyle photographic supplies for his b&w film.

same here about supporting the local stores. it's hard to support them because you do save so much money buying online. prices are lower and some places have no tax. for a $1,000 item, no tax is already $85 for me.
I like Fuji slide film for most color film shots, which no regular stores carry anymore. I forgot, I used to have, and probably still do have in a box actually, a bulk reel of B&W film that'd I'd roll myself. I haven't shot much film lately since I'm lacking a darkroom though

Quick Reply: Bay Area photographers, where do you get you gear?