Bay Area Mountain/Canyon roads & Suspension, help a brotha' out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Exclamation Bay Area Mountain/Canyon roads & Suspension, help a brotha' out!

The reason I post this hear in BAIC is because this is SPECIFICALLY pertaining to roads like Mt Hamilton road, Polameras Canyon road, and other similar roads that are on par with those roads. I've driven in a lot of places and as far as I know BA canyon roads are very specific and unique to our area, probably has something to do with the climate (pot holes and such), and I think the materials used to pave our roads are slightly different than other roads Ive been on (Like in Montana and such). Since you guys are familiar with these roads,I figured I'd ask you.

So here's my question:

What is my best option in terms of struts for the said roads?

Currently I'm running on struts with tein springs, it lowered the car very nicely and stiffened it up a TINY bit, but its still way too sloppy on BA canyon roads. I'm looking for struts that would really stiffen the car up without having to change my springs again. I don't want the car to be insanely stiff, but way stiffer than it is now. I drive 30+ miles of canyon roads every day, and if I push it, it almost feels dangerous...

Let me cut to the chase:

Right now my car is VERY sloppy, and the handling has been compromised greatly due to the body roll and "softness" of the overall ride. Even the braking has been affected as the ABS is triggered when its not supposed to... It still happens even with coilovers but not NEARLY as bad. I almost feel unsafe driving on canyon roads. I drive 30+ miles on tight canyons EVERY day so I want to fix this issue asap before I go crazy... I can't stand soft suspension!

Any help is appreciated. I've been out of the suspension loop for more than 5 years now so everything has changed, companies that were good now suck, vice versa, etc. I have TEIN springs right now, and I don't really want to deal with selling them, etc, so I'd rather just get struts and be done with it... BUT, if you guys think that the springs I have are holding me back on a big scale, let me know and I'll consider changing them as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM

Car Info: 06 Impreza
im just running on kyb agx adjustable strut on swifts springs and it handles great, very comfortable, and inexpensive....goodluck
Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
What kind of car????

Fill out your profile, n00b
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
If body roll is bothering you the most, some sway bars are probably a good idea. Its a great way to improve handling without making the ride a lot harsher.

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by WagonTale
im just running on kyb agx adjustable strut on swifts springs and it handles great, very comfortable, and inexpensive....goodluck
you also have a rear sway bar!
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Daniel, The best/comfort setup your going to be able to get are Konis and a good spring with Group N tops. Dump the Tein for something a bit more on the performance side. I've heard nothing but good things about the Swifts, I run them myself. They seem to do a very good job in determining the best ride height and stiffness. The Konis IMO hands down are the way to go. They are pricey but sooo worth it. Many have no idea what they are missing out on. The Konis are just that damn good. Group N tops are a must virtually no NVH much more responsive than the soft rubber. IMO you're a canyon cruncher, stay away from the coil overs.
Konis+Swifts+Group N+22mmFSB+24-26mmRSB+solid end links+alignment= One sick *** handling car.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by brucelee
The reason I post this hear in BAIC is because this is SPECIFICALLY pertaining to roads like Mt Hamilton road, Polameras Canyon road, and other similar roads that are on par with those roads. I've driven in a lot of places and as far as I know BA canyon roads are very specific and unique to our area, probably has something to do with the climate (pot holes and such), and I think the materials used to pave our roads are slightly different than other roads Ive been on (Like in Montana and such). Since you guys are familiar with these roads,I figured I'd ask you.

So here's my question:

What is my best option in terms of struts for the said roads?

Currently I'm running on struts with tein springs, it lowered the car very nicely and stiffened it up a TINY bit, but its still way too sloppy on BA canyon roads. I'm looking for struts that would really stiffen the car up without having to change my springs again. I don't want the car to be insanely stiff, but way stiffer than it is now. I drive 30+ miles of canyon roads every day, and if I push it, it almost feels dangerous...

Let me cut to the chase:

Right now my car is VERY sloppy, and the handling has been compromised greatly due to the body roll and "softness" of the overall ride. Even the braking has been affected as the ABS is triggered when its not supposed to... It still happens even with coilovers but not NEARLY as bad. I almost feel unsafe driving on canyon roads. I drive 30+ miles on tight canyons EVERY day so I want to fix this issue asap before I go crazy... I can't stand soft suspension!

Any help is appreciated. I've been out of the suspension loop for more than 5 years now so everything has changed, companies that were good now suck, vice versa, etc. I have TEIN springs right now, and I don't really want to deal with selling them, etc, so I'd rather just get struts and be done with it... BUT, if you guys think that the springs I have are holding me back on a big scale, let me know and I'll consider changing them as well.
agx
Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Daniel, The best/comfort setup your going to be able to get are Konis and a good spring with Group N tops. Dump the Tein for something a bit more on the performance side. I've heard nothing but good things about the Swifts, I run them myself. They seem to do a very good job in determining the best ride height and stiffness. The Konis IMO hands down are the way to go. They are pricey but sooo worth it. Many have no idea what they are missing out on. The Konis are just that damn good. Group N tops are a must virtually no NVH much more responsive than the soft rubber. IMO you're a canyon cruncher, stay away from the coil overs.
Konis+Swifts+Group N+22mmFSB+24-26mmRSB+solid end links+alignment= One sick *** handling car.
good advice. In general stay away from coilovers if you want to eat up the bay area mountain roads.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
x2 for keeping it affordable on KYB AGX's.
I'm running STi oem springs on them, and rear dampers set @ #3, front dampers set @ #2. STi 20mm rear sway, & some billet aluminum end links.

The car is night @ day from stock, very controlled and easy to rotate...yet liveable on bay area highways/byways. Best of all this whole package is adjustable and affordable.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Koni struts HANDS DOWN.

They have the most adjustment. So you can set them up for those canyon runs then soften them up for those long trips. They are hands down the best struts for subarus on the market. (Short of giving up a liver for ohlins)

AGX are nice but they're quite a bit softer and much more limited than the Konis. If you want AGX I have a set of rear struts I'll sell to you for the same price I got them for as I think I'm gonna save up and go koni.

Or I'll sell you my spec C struts for MAD cheap and you can give those a whirl. I love... LOVE them but they are having issues with the wagon front (camber) issues and the wagon top hats.

I'd say you need new sway bars more than anything.

I'd get some struts and throw some sways on there.

as for your ABS.. that's a subaru issue. Overactive ABS. (INHO) I upgraded my pads, rotors, lines and it helped a TON.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by WagonTale
im just running on kyb agx
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
agx
Originally Posted by Lboogie
x2 for keeping it affordable on KYB AGX's.
+4 AGX
They are stiff jsut on medium settings, and I rallycross with them on the softest setting, and they are softer than stock! Its such a nice range. Im sure other brands have this range too, but wow. And RSB of course

The road i live on is the bumpiest road you could ever drive on in the Bay Area for 15 minutes straight. Not little pothole-filler chatter bumps (tunitas) but long bumps like bad grading equipment bumps that have been paved over. And they never leave me hopping or spinning, except on hairpins, but hardly.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 07-11-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Ride along in different set-ups and see what you like.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2004 2.5 RS
i was looking into this check out Teins gravel spec all you have to do is change the struts and keep your springs.

http://www.tein.com/products/gravel.html
ask some places for JUST the struts cuz they do sell them with springs so check into it cuz i was gonna get these since HELLA roads are messed up and hella uneven. I just thought the Gravel spec would do good since its made to harsh terrain and you get a smooth ride without that kidneys juggling. You can get a fair price for these since they are just struts

• Dampers are sold individually Contents of G.tech Spring 1 pair of springs.
• Front pair & rear pair are sold separately Gravel Damper & G.tech Springs were developed for entry level Gravel racing.

Type Gravel is a shock absorber especially designed and developed for Rally racing and Rally cross. It can satisfy the demands of any road surface with its 16 levels of damping force adjustment. (Rebound / Compression are adjusted simultaneously). Overhaul & re-valving is available, and can be performed in the US.

Contents of Type Gravel Damper
Shock absorber with 16 level damping force adjustment × 1
Lower spring seat × 1 Spring seat lock × 2
Instruction manual

Last edited by Vince25RS; 07-11-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by ipozestu
The Konis are just that damn good. Group N tops are a must virtually no NVH much more responsive than the soft rubber. IMO you're a canyon cruncher, stay away from the coil overs.
On my old wrx wagon I had prodrive springs and kyb gr2 struts, steering rack bushings, front and rear endlinks and sedan rear swaybar - it was a great combo.

I later then upgraded to koni struts in wrx strut bodies and group N strut top mounts (kept my prodrive springs). I had LOTS of NVH, even on the softest setting. The struts handled very good and soaked up the bumps but I had LOTS of road noise and vibrations. I sold the konis soon afterward.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I'm running the AGX's now and they are nice struts. Great handling for the money. But I'd agree with everyone and make sure you have upgraded front and rear sways with the endlinks and heavy duty mounts. That's the first thing that should be done to clean up your entry and exit's.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Mountain/Canyon roads & Suspension, help a brotha' out!