Bay Area Favorite Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by kyoung05
It's a small family-owned chain. They have about 5 or 6 restaurants total. I believe the one in Milpitas is called Giorgios. Anyways, I won't lie and say it's the best Italian food you'll ever eat. But, what gets me is the atmosphere. It feels "old-school" in the kind of way you don't see anymore. The first time I had spaghetti and meatballs was here, over 20 years ago, and coming back after all that time to see nothing's changed is ironically "refreshing." It's the kind of place you can count on - go there tomorrow and then go there 2 years from now knowing everything will be exactly the same as it was.

As for the food, it's your traditional Italian fare. I stick to the basic pastas and pizzas, but I'm sure the rest of their entrees are equally good.
Yes, I have had their spaghetti and meatballs at Giorgio's and I love it! And u'r right about the place, but I haven't been there in maybe 4 yrs. I'll go back soon.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 AM

And yes it's called Giorgio's...

http://giorgiosmilpitas.com/

Oh and as far as pizza goes, I forgot to mention Stuft Pizza in Milpitas. They do have other locations in the Bay Area as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Hey kyoung - seems we like a lot of the same things - have you tried Speederia Pizza in San Carlos and Taqueria El Metate in Belmont? These, in my humble opinion, are top notch. El Metate has been my fave taqueria since 1997 when I worked at Sander's Automotive. I was just there couple days ago and got a chicken burrito and OMFG it was so good.. "..once it hits the lips..." -Frank the Tank
Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
dude, i love Secret Garden!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Hey kyoung - seems we like a lot of the same things - have you tried Speederia Pizza in San Carlos and Taqueria El Metate in Belmont? These, in my humble opinion, are top notch. El Metate has been my fave taqueria since 1997 when I worked at Sander's Automotive. I was just there couple days ago and got a chicken burrito and OMFG it was so good.. "..once it hits the lips..." -Frank the Tank
I haven't tried either of those places, but I definitely want to now. My GF isn't a huge fan of Mexican food, so going to taquerias can be difficult sometimes. But I'm sure she'd love Speederia Pizza since she's an ex-NJ/NY'er.

Based on your earlier recommendation, I want to check out Suppenkuche as well. I've never had real German food, but it definitely seems like it's worth trying at least once.
________
Big dick *****

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

I haven't tried either of those places, but I definitely want to now. My GF isn't a huge fan of Mexican food, so going to taquerias can be difficult sometimes. But I'm sure she'd love Speederia Pizza since she's an ex-NJ/NY'er.

Based on your earlier recommendation, I want to check out Suppenkuche as well. I've never had real German food, but it definitely seems like it's worth trying at least once.
My lady isn't so hot on Mexican either but between El Metate and Fernando's (San Mateo on 37th - my Sister's inlaws have been going here 30+ years and they know us, pretty sweet) she has turned around. They don't have any Mexican food in Sweden so I had to introduce her and whilst over in Sweden last time I made a huge vat of refried beans, fajitas, salsa and some other stuff all from scratch - I hear her brother is cooking it up for everyone they know now haha...

IMHO, Speederia is the closest to true NY pizza I have found outside of SF. I love love love Escape from New York but I think Arinell's in the Mission is more spot on... Speederia is top notch. I am not from the east coast though so this should taken with a grain of salt. A good buddy of mine is though, and he agrees...

Suppenkuche is out of this world. Any pics of me taken there have had sort of a scary "o-face" expression so I am not sure if that means anything hahaha... Last time I was there I ate two dinners and drank a boot. Heading up for my B-day on the night of 11/22 as well for more schnitzel, spatzle, venison and potato pancakes OMFG I am hungry now... Cannot go wrong there and the people are great as well. Best time to go to Suppenkuche is Monday night after a killer weekend in the city haha... Works every time - if it was really nice out (IE, you were at Zietgiest last night and it was packed) then the place is deserted Monday night.

From last time - I was so pissed I had no recollection of paying. I called the next day and turns out I did and left a nice tip too!

Ready go!

Aaaaaaannnnn PISSED. I was the only one who finished (this was after a few pints at Maggie's).
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce

[/IMG]
Interesting....I calculate about 67oz of beer in that boot, so just about 5.5 beers, huh? I wonder how long it'd take me to finish that thing. I can chug one beer in about 5 seconds give or take, but I've never tried it with like 5 beers. Should be interesting at the very least...I think my strategy would be to chug as much as I could to start things off, just to make a decent dent, then go from there. I'm pretty sure I could finish it before it got warm though. This alone is reason enough to go.
________
UGGS

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by hello_rex
I can give them props for putting the right fish in the sushi, they topped out for that in the Sac Bee poll.

BUT, the tempura sushi comes out old and cold.
Too much STUFF on their sushi. Overwelming in a gross way.
Think warm cream cheese on sushi...gross.
i'm sorry, but those don't describe sushi. those are just americanized rolls.

sushi ran in sausalito is by far the best sushi in the bay.
ask for the omakase from nori-san (and bring lots of $$$).

tomisushi in san jose has consistently great sushi w/o breaking your wallet (get the jyo-nigiri).

oyaji in sf and tanto in sj both have good izakaya food.

the girl and the fig in sonoma (greater bay area?) has excellent french/new american food.

the asari ramen at ramen club in burlingame is better than santa ramen, imo. but it's lacking compared to shin sen gumi in socal (or anything in japan).

lo coco's in berkeley has great italian food. same goes for riva cucina, also in berkeley.

sketch in berkeley for ice cream. their earl grey ice cream is sooooo tasty.

ohgane has good korean bbq in berkeley. i used to go to secret garden a lot when my family lived in the south bay.

i'm still looking for a good yakiniku place up here. and no, yakiniku juban is not good.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
i am going to have to print this whole thread and carry it with me everywhere. i keep getting hungry when i read it. wow. thanks everyone for posting.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Interesting....I calculate about 67oz of beer in that boot, so just about 5.5 beers, huh? I wonder how long it'd take me to finish that thing. I can chug one beer in about 5 seconds give or take, but I've never tried it with like 5 beers. Should be interesting at the very least...I think my strategy would be to chug as much as I could to start things off, just to make a decent dent, then go from there. I'm pretty sure I could finish it before it got warm though. This alone is reason enough to go.
You got it - it's a 2L and they are generous... I chose poorly on that one thinking we would be there for a while and I wouldn't need to chug it. Franziskaner is one of my faves but not in that quantity. I usually am done with my pint before everyone else has finished a quarter of theirs but this one took a bit to finish. Once you get to the ankle it's like... foooooooook.... Hahaha.. Next time I am trying a Marzen or a Kolsch.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Forgot about Giorgio's. Yeah, I like that place too.

That Korean Palace in SV, that wouldn't b on El Camino, across from the Fish Market and the Afghani House, would it?
I'm not sure but there is a Korean supermarket right beside it, plus what used to be a pretty authentic sushi place (forgot the name though).
Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by av98
I'm not sure but there is a Korean supermarket right beside it, plus what used to be a pretty authentic sushi place (forgot the name though).
The Korean BBQ place you're thinking of is Palace BBQ. It's next to Han Kook Market. The sushi place was called Seto Sushi I believe. I am not a big proponent of buffet anything, simply because in order to recoup their $, those places tend to use lower quality ingredients, meats, etc. I've seen the way my parents toil over trimming the fat off of kalbi (shortribs) every week, the same way they've been doing it for almost 30yrs, and couldn't bring myself to try a buffet place where they just pile on the standard 3-bone kalbi that you can just pick up at the supermarkets.

As an aside, the only buffet that is truly awesome in my book is the Sterling Brunch at Bally's in Vegas. One of the best meals I've had and also the best service ever....
________
EXPATRIATE INSURANCE FORUM

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 20psi Daily!
Originally Posted by resty_kun
i like sendai in Milpitas for pretty good/big sushi for an affordable price, one of the waitresses drives a white bugeye wagon too :]
i love this place too! w0o0 i always wondered whos bugeye wagon that was haha
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Car Info: Impreza WRX tr
Patxi's on Octavia in Downtown S.F.
Best Chicago Style Pizzas!!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
-Back forty BBQ in Pleasant Hill
-Macs Ole House in Antioch

God I have soo many, I just love food I think.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Favorite Restaurant