Bay Area Enginuity Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Checked out their website, and got some more info. This info might be helpful to others out there using OpenECU and would like a tune from a professional.

http://www.ssautoconcepts.com/service.html

I'm not sure if they have changed anything, but on the website they charge $150 for a custom road tune using OpenECU.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
Checked out their website, and got some more info. This info might be helpful to others out there using OpenECU and would like a tune from a professional.

http://www.ssautoconcepts.com/service.html

I'm not sure if they have changed anything, but on the website they charge $150 for a custom road tune using OpenECU.
Sweet give a us feedback on their work. I've personally never heard of anyone getting tuned by them.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I can OpenECU tune your car

do you want it running when I'm done with it?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I can OpenECU tune your car

do you want it running when I'm done with it?
uh..?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
uh..?
it was a joke saying I can tune your car but you may not have a running motor at the end of the tune
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
it was a joke saying I can tune your car but you may not have a running motor at the end of the tune

Basile brings up a good point though.
- Why do companies buy million dollar software licenses from Microsoft when Open Office is free?
- Why do companies buy Cisco equipment when competitors are cheap, or free?

The answer is support. If Cobb's software screws you, they damn well better take responsibility and fix it, or help you. If open source screws you - who can you blame? Of course opensource has a big community to support you, but you get my point as to why sometimes you DO want to pay more for stuff.

My personal experience - modifying car on a budget = bad news waiting to happen There's no problem with tuning open source, but I'm worried (and perhaps I'm wrong) that your motivation is part of a bigger mentality of "modding my car for cheap"
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Andrew tuned the shop wrx car (2.0L, vf34) himself and it ran in the 11's!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by verc
There's no problem with tuning open source, but I'm worried (and perhaps I'm wrong) that your motivation is part of a bigger mentality of "modding my car for cheap"
I agree with this statement, Its one thing to get good deals (I'm a smart shopper) but I never go "cheap". My dad always bought cheapo garbage and it was just that, garbage.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon
I would be interested to know how it goes with ssautoconcepts too.
I'm in the same situation as pwnx0rz, currently running the XPT stage 2 map and wanting more power. I have a vf34 lined up(hopefully) and all supporting mods. Just need to find a tuner around here willing to tune opensource.
Another thing you can consider is look in the classifieds for a used V1 AP. Cost about half of what a new V2 AP would cost. And most(if not all) tuner still support it.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by verc
Basile brings up a good point though.
- Why do companies buy million dollar software licenses from Microsoft when Open Office is free?
- Why do companies buy Cisco equipment when competitors are cheap, or free?

The answer is support. If Cobb's software screws you, they damn well better take responsibility and fix it, or help you. If open source screws you - who can you blame? Of course opensource has a big community to support you, but you get my point as to why sometimes you DO want to pay more for stuff.

My personal experience - modifying car on a budget = bad news waiting to happen There's no problem with tuning open source, but I'm worried (and perhaps I'm wrong) that your motivation is part of a bigger mentality of "modding my car for cheap"
Thanks for the advice verc. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I agree with this statement, Its one thing to get good deals (I'm a smart shopper) but I never go "cheap". My dad always bought cheapo garbage and it was just that, garbage.
spoken like a champ. I always wait for the good deals, but I don't buy cheap stuff (no matter what you say Paul...)

(=
Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
any news on the tune?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Andrew tuned the shop wrx car (2.0L, vf34) himself and it ran in the 11's!
The blue gutted bugeye on slicks? I saw that one at the track but didn't see it run.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Car Info: STI 2006 White Stage 666
Wow not to start a debate but I think AP stuff is garbage, they totally overcharge for their stuff.

As far as open source being cheap? Yes it is actually free but it is a different business model entirely. Open source has many support options if you want a company to stand behind you. For instance if you wanted to run RedHat Enterprise Linux for your servers instead of Windows, you would still pay RedHat money, not for the software it self but for the support they offer.

As far as using RomRaider + a tactrix cable, you would get the same level of support as say using street tuner from Cobb. You need to know what you are doing either way. If you want to pay for someone to tune your car using OpenECU stuff then you are giving them $ for support. I suggest you talk to ev8siv @ http://www.xpttuning.com/. I am sure you can work out a deal where he would remote tune your car and/or check over your logs for his XPT maps.

There is nothing wrong with open source tools for tunning your car, and this method will offer many more options and possibilities to you. Since I started tunning my car using open source tools with the help of ev8siv I have learned so much more about the inner workings of the ECU and the car in it's entirety then I would have if I just payed someone to do it for me and settled for the incredibly over priced AP.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
i was one of those that went with the vf39 initially and now im with the 18g and i love it. if you constantly feel like u want more power then id say go with an 18g and meth.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Enginuity Tuners?