Bay Area Enginuity Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Bay Area Enginuity Tuners?

First off, I want to say I've been doing a lot of reading on i-Club and NASIOC for turbo info, but I still have some unanswered questions.

I'm currently running on a XPT Stg2 map using my laptop/tactrix cable and am looking for more power.

Question 1: If I were to upgrade to a VF39/43, I would also like to get a protune, but I'm unsure of any local shops in the Bay Area that will tune a car using a tactrix cable, instead of a AccessPort, or any other EM.

Question 2: I've been doing some reading, and it seems that although the vf39/43 is a great and affordable upgrade for the 2.0l engine, many are soon left wanting more power. Some common turbos that the "ex-vf39'ers" upgrade to are the big16g/16g, the 18g (most votes on "the other forum") for bigger power. I'd like some faster spool for city driving and the joy rides in the hills. But at the same time, I'd like enough power to pull on the freeway. Basically, I'm looking for a turbo has the attributes of a fast spooling vf34 and has the pull of a 18g.

Question 3: Even if I do find a suitable turbo, will I even have the option of running other turbos listed above with only using a Tactrix cable or am I gonna have to jump boat and grab an AccessPort?

Thanks guys
Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I don't know of any shops that tune with OpenECU.

I'd go with a vf34 also supporting mods and pick up the XPT stage 2.5 map.

Grab yourself a LC-1 so you can log with Enginuity. Then start tweaking the map. I don't know how familiar you are with adjusting certain parameters.

If you think you are way over your head find an AP or Ecutek and head to your local tuner. Closest to you is GST and they do great work.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 AM

I have not bothered tweaking the map, and wouldn't want to blow up my engine. Would it be safe running a vf34 on the stage2.5 map?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
I have not bothered tweaking the map, and wouldn't want to blow up my engine. Would it be safe running a vf34 on the stage2.5 map?
hmm well if you aren't comfortable with tweaking the map then I'd suggest to just fork out the money to get another EM and go to a tuner. Less headaches for you.

LC-1 Wideband with logging and tweaking the map is the only way to get it running correctly and safely.

Visit RomRaider and post any questions you have about OpenECU there.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
most Cobb tuners are not going to tune opensource.. as it breaches their contract with cobb from what i understand. so it makes it very difficult to find an OS tuner.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
I'm sure there are a lot of good non subaru tuners who would do opensource. After all there's not one major subaru tuner in the bay area who's been doing it more than 5 years and EMS has been around much longer than that.

I'm sure they'd do a good job too - after all a lot of the top subaru tuners in the country are doing vettes, 911 turbos and other crap, not like good tuners stick to just one car.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by verc
I'm sure there are a lot of good non subaru tuners who would do opensource. After all there's not one major subaru tuner in the bay area who's been doing it more than 5 years and EMS has been around much longer than that.

I'm sure they'd do a good job too - after all a lot of the top subaru tuners in the country are doing vettes, 911 turbos and other crap, not like good tuners stick to just one car.
yknow what verc, thats a very good point. thanks for the idea hahaa
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Car Info: Fast
I would also contact the owner of XPT, as I believe he will let you send him logs and make adjustments to the maps.

If it is a matter of cost, go with a vf39/43 and an STI topmount, then get an XPT tune. If you can afford it, get a used AP2 and get a tune. A basic setup like that will not cost you much for a tune.

The best part is, if you want more power at some time, you can sell the vf39/43 for close to what you sold it for, and turn that around for a bigger turbo. I hear lots of good stuff about the big 16g, but I have no actual experience with it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:06 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
As far as turbo recommendation, the VF34/39/43 are the best options for the 2.0 IMO. From my experience, only the big 16G's and the 18G make as much power as the VF series, but the VF turbos provide the best response by far compared to the mitsu hybrids. If you want more lag and about the same power, go for the 18g . The 20G will generally make more power, but the lag on a 2.0 is unacceptable for a street driven car IMO.

As far as OECU tuners, there are no tuners in the bay area currently, but I believe Matt Snow is planning on starting OECU tuning part time so it might be worth it to get in touch with him.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM

thanks for the advice Ed, and i appreciate the extra info on the G series turbos.

how can i contact Matt Snow?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:17 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
but I believe Matt Snow is planning on starting OECU tuning part time so it might be worth it to get in touch with him.
o_O I didn't know that.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
how can i contact Matt Snow?
Send him a PM
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM

thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx