the bartender still hates you

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I love the "bartender hates you" videos, seriously some funny stuff.

But is this a tipping thread now?

I seriously side with Mr. Pink, I rarely tip, although I do find myself tipping bartenders most of the time.
That video is awesome. Nice find. I feel the same way. It's their job, right? But I tip accordingly when the job is good/great. But no so much when it isn't.

The goverment ****s waitresses in the ***.

Originally Posted by Krinkov
this is why I only order scotch on the rocks, easy peezy
You, sir, are a badass.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by krinkov
this is why i only order bourbon, neat - easy peezy
ftfy.
________
Teen stripping

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM

I seriously side with Mr. Pink, I rarely tip, although I do find myself tipping bartenders most of the time.

So you don't tip your waiter when you go to a restaurant?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx

You rarely tip? I remember when i was serving tables and people would act totally cool and then leave next to nothing as a tip. It's extremely rude.

You also have to understand that the wait staff is paying to serve you when you don't tip. They have to tip the Bartender for making their drinks, The Bussers for cleaning their tables and food runners for taking out their food. This all happens whether they get tipped or not. Papakiet is completely right, those few extra dollars aren't that much to you, but it really makes or breaks someone's night in the service industry.

If you can't afford to tip don't go out.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
i rarely go out, but when i do, i tip very well. i know how it is to work for tips, so i have no problem tipping well. besides, if you tip well, your drinks are stronger, and your service is faster. if you cant tip for any other reason, do it for yourself...

last time i went out, my tab was about $65, i made my total $100.

it sounds a little ridiculous, but i got multiple free rounds because my bartender knows i am going to tip well. whats the difference between a $80 bill with a $20 tip, and a $65 bill with a $35 tip with a few free rounds? its still $100 for the same amount of booze.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM

definitely true. The basic formula for getting anything for free is to tip at least half the price of whatever you got for free and then add your regular tip on top of that.

For instance you purchased 5 drinks at $5 each making your tab $25 but were only charged 15 dollars. That means you got $10 worth of drinks for free and should tip at least half of that ($5) plus your normal tip based on the $25 bill not the discounted $15 bill.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by papakiet
Contrary to much belief... you can still order very expensive stuff and not tip.

Tipping 15% is very important... Let me explain...

Lets say a person orders a drink costing $10.00. And this person does not tip me.

At the end of the night (this varies by company) I have to claim 10% of my sales. So the IRS taxes me on 1$.

I tip my barback at least half of what I make... so that means I could have made 2..so I give him 1. But I didn't make anything.. I'll give him 1 anyways.

Also, I have to tip out the food runner.. despite food not being ordered 10 cents on that transaction.

That means I just PAID someone to have a drink...

and this is not uncommon.. at the end of some nights (not all thank goodness).. I'll sell 1700.00 and walk out with less than 10%... thats less than 170.00.. but the IRS thinks I made at least 170.00 so they will tax me on that.

When I tip... I tend to overtip..(it's an industry thing) but I usually think to myself.. "what could I possibly do with this extra dollar? He (or she) can have it."
And this is why we should eliminate tipping and just increase item price to compensate. IMHO.

Ignoring the initial shock to the public, let's say everyone gets used to the "real price". Would you bartenders/waitstaff/etc really care if the system worked like this?

And I don't buy the "better service for expected tip" anymore because everyone seems to just assume they will get a minimum 15% tip and treat you however they want to treat you... seems more dependent upon the personality of the person serving you than "working for a tip". (... I'll admit it's been a long time since I last had a job that received tips)

Last edited by chimchimm5; 06-07-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by spiffoi77
You rarely tip? I remember when i was serving tables and people would act totally cool and then leave next to nothing as a tip. It's extremely rude.

You also have to understand that the wait staff is paying to serve you when you don't tip. They have to tip the Bartender for making their drinks, The Bussers for cleaning their tables and food runners for taking out their food. This all happens whether they get tipped or not. Papakiet is completely right, those few extra dollars aren't that much to you, but it really makes or breaks someone's night in the service industry.

If you can't afford to tip don't go out.

Agreed, not tipping your waiter is a douche move big time... But you're talking to a kid that has clear mudflaps.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM

I honestly don't think that the system is broken. It would be extremely difficult to develop a new system that worked effectively. If one server takes 15 tables a night and another server takes 5 tables would it be fair for the server doing 3 times as much work to make the same wage?

People do tip more for good service and less for crappy service. Better servers/bartenders that provide better service consistently receive better tips. That's fact.

Sure at Denny's you might get an ******* server or a nice server depending on the night, but that's not to say that those two people make the same amount of money.

And if you go to a higher end restaurant you will find progressively fewer poor servers and fewer poor tippers.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
if you cant tip for any other reason, do it for yourself...
This is my mentality when I go out.. I'll tip because I chose to have someone do something else for me that I'm capable of doing...

Originally Posted by chimchimm5

And I don't buy the "better service for expected tip" anymore because everyone seems to just assume they will get a minimum 15% tip and treat you however they want to treat you.
This is very true.

I treat everyone equally... sometimes you get completely shocked when the ghetto person actually tips you fat.. and the guy that looks like he should tip you leaves you coins and a receipt on his 4 patrons... chilled.. with a pineapple back.... salt.. lime... wait no salt.. oh can I have 1 more.. i really meant 2 more.. with no salt.. wait..with salt..
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
And I don't buy the "better service for expected tip" anymore because everyone seems to just assume they will get a minimum 15% tip and treat you however they want to treat you... seems more dependent upon the personality of the person serving you than "working for a tip". (... I'll admit it's been a long time since I last had a job that received tips)

I agree with this statement as well. Most servers don't give a rat's *** half the time. They disappear after your food has been served, maybe return once, and then bring the bill and disappear again. Maybe 10-15% of servers actually care about working for a tip.

I'd like to believe I tip according to service, and occasionally tip up to 30% if it's deserved. Maybe it's because I'm asian and am in my early 20s, so I'm profiled as cheap.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by papakiet
I treat everyone equally... sometimes you get completely shocked when the ghetto person actually tips you fat.. and the guy that looks like he should tip you leaves you coins and a receipt on his 4 patrons... chilled.. with a pineapple back.... salt.. lime... wait no salt.. oh can I have 1 more.. i really meant 2 more.. with no salt.. wait..with salt..
Agreed. It is not fair for a server or bartender to judge their clientele and treat them differently based on their appearance.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by spiffoi77

For instance you purchased 5 drinks at $5 each making your tab $25 but were only charged 15 dollars. That means you got $10 worth of drinks for free and should tip at least half of that ($5) plus your normal tip based on the $25 bill not the discounted $15 bill.
whoops i have a buddy that works at a popular club here in town and when he does this (all the time for me) i always tip him what my total should have been. shoot sometimes i get away with a bill for 2 drinks when i know ive ordered about 7

haha guess thats why i get served asap!

and this hole time i thought it was because he was my friend

Last edited by zumnwrx; 06-07-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
And this is why we should eliminate tipping and just increase item price to compensate. IMHO.

Ignoring the initial shock to the public, let's say everyone gets used to the "real price". Would you bartenders/waitstaff/etc really care if the system worked like this?
That's how most of Europe does it right? They are insulted if you tip.

Yeah, they don't see you put a dollar into the pitcher at a Taqueria so they give you white boy portions lol.

Unless your at a bar where everyone knows your name and theyre always glad you came all over their bar stool...wait thats not how it goes...
Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
whoops i have a buddy that works at a popular club here in town and when he does this (all the time for me) i always tip him what my total should have been. shoot sometimes i get away with a bill for 2 drinks when i know ive ordered about 7

haha guess thats why i get served asap!

and this hole time i thought it was because he was my friend
tipping that way definitely works too. just make sure you leave extra for the free drinks

Quick Reply: the bartender still hates you