Baretta 0r Sig?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 AM

Car Info: Impreza
Question Baretta 0r Sig?

I've got $800 burning a hole in my pockets, so Im trying to decide between
a Baretta 92 or a Sig P226 (both in .40 & New).
My groupings are pretty much identical w/ both...
If money were not an issue I'd go w/ the Sig
but the Baretta is more in my price range,
so how does the Baretta compare in terms of reliability & durability(Jams or accidentally locking Safety while drawing from holster)?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I never really liked Berettas. The grip doesn't feel comfortable in my hand and I'm not a big fan of the open top slide design. But I will say they do look pretty though, and Chow Yun Fat seems to like them.

Given the choice, I would roll with the Sig P226 no questions asked.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

contrary to popular belief, when the US military had a shootout (pun intended) in the late 80s/early 90s to get a standardized handgun, the final winner was the BERETTA 92F which was designated as the M9.

nose to nose on competition was also the sig 228.

but lost due to the added cost of like $30 per pistol.

granted to every schmoe like you and me, that aint no biggie, but to the US GOV who bought tons of them, you know why the beretta won out.

BUT, the US GOV also took the sig 228 as an option and called it the M11...

now, what the heck does that have to do with the price of tea in china...

or more importantly, the price of sig 226?

well, dont forget that sig sells used guns that they field strip and replace all the innards with new parts and calls them CPO (certified previously owned).

a good savings could be had!

also, dont forget that the kalifornia dept of justice has their own list where it lists all the approved handguns you can guy:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

so if you see one of those cool "guns of the month" on sig's site, it's probably not avail for sale here...

sig cant afford to keep sending samples and paying THOUSANDS for each and every single model...

sucks i know...

FWIW, i started out with a 226 in 9mm. then went on with a 229 in 40 s&w and i seem to be more comfortable with that.

but i like the new 226s with a rail and DAK trigger.

good luck...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 AM

Car Info: None.
I remember when we switched from the M1911A1 to the M9. I saw 3 slides cack on the M9 and one break in half and smack a guy in the chest. It's a decent pistol, but unless you're only buying it for target practice I'd opt for a larger caliber. Granted the M1911A1s we were using were probably Korean War vintage. "Alternate aiming points" were a pretty standard practice at the pistol range. You were totally stoked when you got a gun that actually shot where you pointed it at 25m.

Save up a bit more and get a Para Ordinance .45 or some other double column pistol. I've always been partial to the Glock 21 myself.

If you're just going to punch holes in paper why not pick up a Ruger MkII? you can blast away with .22 all day and still have enough to stop by Taco Bell on the way home.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I wouldn't either...

If I got a sig, it'd be a P220... I don't care how many good reviews either pistol has received, I personally don't like either.

The point being: Everyone is different, everyone has different preferences, and with that being said, you shouldn't rely on recommendations for gun purchases.

Sure, look at reliability, durability, etc... But in terms to how it shoots, you should be the one to make the call on that. Go rent both and shoot the hell out of both and THEN make your decision.

If you want my advice, get the Glock 21. (Wont jam, very accurate, easy to maintain, and $500) The G21 is my fav all time pistol... There's not a single other pistol that even comes close. Comparing my other glocks to my G21 is a joke... None of them are even close.

Here's a grouping between my XD-40 and Glock 21. The more concentrated grouping is the G21, the other more circular shots are the XD-40 (.40 cal, which is why you can tell the difference between the shots on paper)

www.gunatics.com

Last edited by brucelee; 05-22-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:23 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
There's no "best gun" or whatever. Guns are tools, just pick the right one for the job and one that you feel comfortable with. Some people like Glocks, some people like 1911's. I'm one of those that likes the traditional all steel frame 1911 in .45acp. You can't really go wrong with one of those. And they'll hurt alot more than some tupperware Glock if you happen to run out of ammo and have to resort to using your gun as a club.

Since we're posting targets up, here's what a completely stock Kimber Pro Carry II .45 will do at 15 meters:
Old 05-22-2007, 04:58 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by mxspl807
I've got $800 burning a hole in my pockets, so Im trying to decide between
a Baretta 92 or a Sig P226 (both in .40 & New).
My groupings are pretty much identical w/ both...
If money were not an issue I'd go w/ the Sig
but the Baretta is more in my price range,
so how does the Baretta compare in terms of reliability & durability(Jams or accidentally locking Safety while drawing from holster)?
I've put a couple of thousand rounds through my Beretta 96 Elite II without a single issue (96=.40, 92=9mm). I love this gun because it fits my hand and my shooting style much better than anything else. At the time I was shopping, I had my heart set on a USP, but after shooting it, the Beretta, and several others I changed my mind. For me, the Beretta was more accurate and easier to handle. The point is, go shoot both guns you're interested in and a few others - everybody is different and this is really the only way to make a decision.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
sig FTW
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Egan
I've put a couple of thousand rounds through my Beretta 96 Elite II without a single issue (96=.40, 92=9mm). I love this gun because it fits my hand and my shooting style much better than anything else. At the time I was shopping, I had my heart set on a USP, but after shooting it, the Beretta, and several others I changed my mind. For me, the Beretta was more accurate and easier to handle. The point is, go shoot both guns you're interested in and a few others - everybody is different and this is really the only way to make a decision.

Good luck!
I've got the same gun and it's been great. Put at least 3000+ rounds through it and it hasn't jammed once. I won't post any groupings because I suck, and haven't had anyone show me how to shoot =p.

I've tried a handful of guns as well. This one feels great. But it's all personal preference. Perhaps we can do an I-Club range meet?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:11 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Akira-R
Perhaps we can do an I-Club range meet?
https://www.i-club.com/forums/meetings-events-donuts-91/anyone-shoot-drive-meet-160519/
Old 05-22-2007, 03:08 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
haha, i had this same discussion with my military parents ( mom=army, dad=marines ) and they steered me towards the Sig. they both hated the beretta, how it shot, and how it felt
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Car Info: 2006 Limited WRX (totalled), black EVO IX
My husband was active duty airforce and wasnt crazy about the beretta, I personally own and Sig prefer it to the beretta.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx tr
id have to agree with brucelee and go with the glock! my dad who is a cop/ former range master for his dept loves his glock. when i was buying a gun as a present to someone he had recommended that over any other brand but the person it was for was dead set on a beretta. i shot the glock and i prefer it too.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Lurk
And they'll hurt alot more than some tupperware Glock if you happen to run out of ammo and have to resort to using your gun as a club.

lol...

almost missed that zinger...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
+1 Sig

Quick Reply: Baretta 0r Sig?