BAIC TV heads, buying a new HDTV and need help. Especially need input from Gagan

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by rau
Thanks for the input Daniel. My buddy has a 46" in his bedroom, and we didnt think it was big enough.
It really depends where you put it. I bought a TV off of VRT Gump that looked big in his living room, but when I put it in my place on a fairly bare wall it looked dinky.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Originally Posted by rau
Buying a big *** TV for my living room. Im debating on either the 65" Mitsubishi, 60" Mitsubishi or the 60" LG.

Anyone have any pros/cons? Im expecting Gagan to post here...
hit up pikkagtr... he's been dealing w/ TV's for the past who knows how many years... he's a pro at it.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
i got a 42" in my room and im still unhappy with my size. go with what feels right within a reasonable price range. i hear mitsubishi delivers when it is around 60" or so.

LCD = best price VS quality ratio
Plasma = you can get LCDs just as good and cheaper these days.
LED = you pay what you get for. high amount of money = high quality. :-)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I don't like the heat generated by plasmas, not to mention the weight and power inefficiency.

The Vizio 55" LED TV w/240hz refresh rate is a good buy right now.

http://www.vizio.com/vf551xvt.html
Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by rau
Thanks for the input Daniel. My buddy has a 46" in his bedroom, and we didnt think it was big enough.

I believe all three are full 1080p and 120hz
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
It really depends where you put it. I bought a TV off of VRT Gump that looked big in his living room, but when I put it in my place on a fairly bare wall it looked dinky.
I agree with this. First of all you need to take into consideration the viewing distance you have to work with; i.e. how big is the room that you are putting the TV in?

There is no point in buy a big **** TV if you cannot sit far away from it to easily comprehend everything that is happening on the screen. I have a 46" that I sit about 12 feet away from and that seems about perfect (according to Gagan I could have gone up to 50"). So, I would figure that for a 65" you would need an even bigger room??

And if you going for the biggest screen you can possibly get, have you considered going with a projector set up?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I tend to prefer plasmas, as most who know me know. Anyone is welcome to check out my TV at home, it doesn't disappoint.

There is such a thing as too black, and too white. No point in having so much brightness that you can't differentiate between whites, and so dark you are crushing blacks and losing shadow detail.

If you game a lot (3+ hrs a day), and the games have a HUD (like FPS or RPG games), or will be connecting a computer, then get an LCD. No reason to burn in your plasma cause the first 100 hrs will require the use of mostly full screen images like HDTV, Movies, etc. This is cause Plasmas in that time frame are susceptible to image retention, however, this is temp retention if you use methods to take out burn in. But it's best to now have static images up for more than an hour or two a day. If you use a computer with the TV, just get an LCD. You will be much happier.

Now, if you don't game that much (3hrs or less, esp if there is HUD), then it's no big deal. Get a plasma.

My plasma has a couple hundred hours of TV and movies now. My brother and cousins can play as much COD as they want, and the HUD will not burn in. This is cause I didn't play any games on there for months after getting the TV.

So, answer that question first, and we can go from there. If you can refrain from crazy gaming use for the first 100 hrs, you will find the plasmas refresh rates to be very advantageous.

Remember, LCDs are 3-5ms in refresh times. Plasmas are .001ms.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Car Info: '04 ed tuned vf39 jbp wagon
BB Link: Panasonic - VIERA / 65" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV $2300

There's a 10% off coupon floating around over at slickdeals that would get that TV close to $2k
Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Car Info: AP1 S2k
Great to know! I bought my LCD just for mw2 lol. Played game on it's first minute of life. Now it sits there as my 40 inch LCD monitor for my pc haha.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I tend to prefer plasmas, as most who know me know. Anyone is welcome to check out my TV at home, it doesn't disappoint.

There is such a thing as too black, and too white. No point in having so much brightness that you can't differentiate between whites, and so dark you are crushing blacks and losing shadow detail.

If you game a lot (3+ hrs a day), and the games have a HUD (like FPS or RPG games), or will be connecting a computer, then get an LCD. No reason to burn in your plasma cause the first 100 hrs will require the use of mostly full screen images like HDTV, Movies, etc. This is cause Plasmas in that time frame are susceptible to image retention, however, this is temp retention if you use methods to take out burn in. But it's best to now have static images up for more than an hour or two a day. If you use a computer with the TV, just get an LCD. You will be much happier.

Now, if you don't game that much (3hrs or less, esp if there is HUD), then it's no big deal. Get a plasma.

My plasma has a couple hundred hours of TV and movies now. My brother and cousins can play as much COD as they want, and the HUD will not burn in. This is cause I didn't play any games on there for months after getting the TV.

So, answer that question first, and we can go from there. If you can refrain from crazy gaming use for the first 100 hrs, you will find the plasmas refresh rates to be very advantageous.

Remember, LCDs are 3-5ms in refresh times. Plasmas are .001ms.