BAIC MTBers: What would you buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM

Car Info: missing my STI 2006
Santa Cruz

I vote for the Santa Cruz they are popular for a reason. I used to sell them a few years ago and they are a great company to work with as long as you know how they work.
Blur xc is a great bike but the superlight is a little lighter. Either way you will be stoked.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
Blur XC ftw!

Wish they still made Proflex's like my old-school 957/857. K2 ftl.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Another vote for the Blur... that is, if I had to stay with your list.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by ryball
Another vote for the Blur... that is, if I had to stay with your list.
You dont have to stay with my list - thats why I asked for anything else I should ride?

What are you thinking about?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by av98
Blur XC ftw!

Wish they still made Proflex's like my old-school 957/857. K2 ftl.
oh man I hated the proflex bikes.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Wagon, 08 SSM STI
Originally Posted by mcowger
So, after my 05 Santa Cruz superlight fell off my rack, thule has agreed to pay for a new one to replace it, at a cost of $2100. So, they will be writing me a check for that amount. I feel comfortable kicking in upto another $400 or so right now, so that makes a total budget of $2500 for a new bike.

My requirements:

XC oriented full suspension bike (I am NOT interested in a big hit bike - anything over ~29 lbs is out)
LX/XT or better components
Prefer smaller bike makers (SC, Ellsworth, Ibis, etc) over larger (Fisher, Trek, Specialized)

So far, on the list:

Santa Cruz Superlight
Santa Cruz Blur XC
Ellsworth Truth
Ellsworth Oracle
Cannondale Scalpel 4
Fisher Caliber
Fisher HiFi Deluxe

Any other bikes I should ride?
I would recommend choosing a bike based on the following criteria, in order of highest priority to lowest:

1) Rear Suspension design: If you don't care about things like DW link vs. VPP or Horst link vs. Faux Bar or simplicity of single pivot vs. complexity of mulit pivots, brake jake, active suspension, chain growth, blah blah, then skip to the next one. If you do care, then that will automatically narrow down your choices to very specific brands, etc.

2) Frame Geometry/Sizing: Check out which manufactures offer frame sizes that match your body/riding style. For example, I have a shorter than average upper body for my height, so while I should fit most "medium" sized bikes, I look for frames with < 23" top tubes. You might also want to factor in things like bottom bracket height, head/seat tube angles, tire sizes (26 vs. 29) etc.

3) Everything else about the bike other than 1) and 2) is secondary, IMO. You can always upgrade/change forks, components, controls, wheelsets, etc. over time. You can't do that with 1) or 2), unless you buy a new frame.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
you wont find much outside of Specialized with the build and price your looking for, I was looking for a bike with those components and was finding nothing under 3000...I was looking for a replacment for my Heckler (full XT, Hayes, etc) and for all bikes with that spec (with a crappy fork) it was at least 2800. Ellesworth, Intense, Titus etc are that much for frame alone Had the same mindset about manufacturers in the beginning but after looking at prices I was pretty bummed...I ended up getting a Stumpjumper Comp (X.9/XT/LX, Fox Float, and Juicy5's) for 1900 (!) a couple months ago at a shop over here in SC...
Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM

*sigh*

I didn't need a lesson on how to choose a frame - I am well aware of the vary suspension designs and geometries out there, and have ridden most of them. But even a VPP from SC isnt the same as a VPP another company, hence the desire to hear about other bike recommendations. I do, in fact, know to choose a bike based on its frame

As for price - specialized is simply out. And there are PLENTY of makers out there in the right price range that dont have their crappy customer service and build quality (e.g. SC).

Sounds like the decision on the Blur is pretty clear though.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
FWIW, my Ellsworth Truth broke after about 3 years of riding and the good folks at Ellsworth were kind enough to offer me $200 off a new one. From what I understand, those frame defects were addressed years ago, but I personally would warn anyone thinking of buying one with a BUYER BEWARE!

I'm on a Yeti 575 now, but based on your criteria I don't think that would be your best bet - too much travel and it's a delicate matter to dial in the rear suspension for climbing. I like the bike, but for a XC oriented machine it's not a first choice. I've always liked SC bikes, and from your list I'd pick the Blur XC. I'd definitely throw a Turner Flux on your list. You might also want to check out the Iron Horse Azure. Not as oontzy as some of the other bikes, but my wife has one and I am always amazed at how smoothly that suspension design climbs.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM

*sigh*

I didn't need a lesson on how to choose a frame - I am well aware of the vary suspension designs and geometries out there, and have ridden most of them. But even a VPP from SC isnt the same as a VPP another company, hence the desire to hear about other bike recommendations. I do, in fact, know to choose a bike based on its frame

As for price - specialized is simply out. And there are PLENTY of makers out there in the right price range that dont have their crappy customer service and build quality (e.g. SC).

Sounds like the decision on the Blur is pretty clear though.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound pedantic. Your list of bikes was all over the place in terms of rear suspension designs, so I was suggesting that you research what design works for you and then narrow your choices from there. For example, if you're sold on VPP, there's no need to look at single pivots like the Superlight or Cannondales. Do you have a rear suspension design preference, especially since you said you've ridden most of them?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:08 PM

The only one I haven't ridden is the ICT from ellsworth, though it is similar in at least appearance to the faux bar design which I dont like. But, again, I last rode a faux bar 3 years ago, so it could be improved by now.

I do like the VPP as well. The simple pivot on the superlight was neat for weight reasons and wasn't that bad for pedal bob, but I suspect its a bit of a dated design now.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
oh man I hated the proflex bikes.
Stock they sucked, damn leaky Noleen GR-2 & GR-4s. With Risse upgrades they rock!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 PM

The only one I haven't ridden is the ICT from ellsworth, though it is similar in at least appearance to the faux bar design which I dont like. But, again, I last rode a faux bar 3 years ago, so it could be improved by now.

I do like the VPP as well. The simple pivot on the superlight was neat for weight reasons and wasn't that bad for pedal bob, but I suspect its a bit of a dated design now.

Turner, who I think used to license their rear design from Horst and/or Ellsworth recently went with their own version of a faux bar and people claim that it rides just as good as the old design.

I currently ride a bike with a Horst link (but with a non platform shock) and I do find it more supple/active than my old bike with a single pivot. These days, platform shocks might reduce the inherent inefficiences of most non VPP type designs.

Have you checked out bikes with the DW Link (Pivot Cycles, Ibis, Iron Horse-pre 2009 etc.), DW's Split Pivot (which is basically the same design as Trek's ABP), orofferings from BMC, Scott, Giant, etc.?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 04 FXT 4EAT
Superlight. Hands down.

Single pivot design provides a great feeling bike when combined with the right rear shock. Think about going with a Fox RP3. I have a PUSHd RP3 on my heckler and it is great.

The blur has a multi pivot design that is known to creak and it is a challenge to service.

There is a reason why they haven't changed the superlight since its inception. It kicks *** pure and simple.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
You dont have to stay with my list - thats why I asked for anything else I should ride?

What are you thinking about?
Well they are all out for one reason or other - budget, on the no-no list, etc.

But I would second the suggestion to check out some of the DW-link bikes.

I like Ventana, but they are $$$

I like the new Stumpjumper, but you said Spec is out.

I tried one of the Bionicon bikes and they are awesome, but they start at like $2800

Quick Reply: BAIC MTBers: What would you buy