BAIC Money Thread. Investments ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Housing market is a bust?

You kidding me?

Now is a GREAT time to buy property. The economy and the housing market are in the toilet and house prices are dropping. Foreclosures are everywhere. Next year will be better but if you can buy a couple pieces of property and sit on them for 7 to 10 years it'd be a KILLER investment.

My 401k has taken a MASSIVE hit on the market so stocks are ****e unless you know how to play downs.

Best advice for investing right now is LONG TERM investments.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Starbucks could be a good buy, they aren't doing well right now but I don't foresee them going out of business.
Originally Posted by 06STi
^They are closing 800 stores. ^
Gas prices going higher, People are skipping that crap!
I think its undervalued, many of the starbucks I go to always have a line. Yes, people are skipping it but I dont think its wise to count Starbucks out for good. By closing the underperforming stores, they can work on improving the existing ones. McDonalds did a similiar move by not opening new stores and improved existing ones with new products and new interiors. I think Starbucks would be a good longterm buy.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
I invested in some Canadian POT. It's done pretty well for me, but at this point you might be late to the party
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Same boat pretty much. We were gonna buy a house, but have lost interest and are looking for a direction to aim the cash. Considering relocating, but it's a bad time for that too. Might just stuff it in a CD for a bit till we think of what to do with it. I do not have the time/knowledge/passion to invest in stocks beyond 401k.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
if you put it in a CD, just make sure it's paying a higher % than inflation. i know some CD's are pretty weak right now.

If i had some cash to make a small long term investment...i'd buy a 1997 Acura Integra Type R. make sure it was stock or turn it back to, then sit on it. caues the $15-20K now for one in good condition, would only have to be worth 80K in 25 years to double in value....and i bet it will be worth a hell of a lot more than that then.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Car Info: Sline
You seriously think an Integra R is going to be worth over 80k in 25 years? I'd laugh at any and everyone who paid that much for one in 25 years.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Make sure to stay within FDIC insurance limits if you go into CD's.....them banks are a failn'
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CoryTurner
If i had some cash to make a small long term investment...i'd buy a 1997 Acura Integra Type R. make sure it was stock or turn it back to, then sit on it. caues the $15-20K now for one in good condition, would only have to be worth 80K in 25 years to double in value....and i bet it will be worth a hell of a lot more than that then.
Thems some high hopes.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM

I think its undervalued, many of the starbucks I go to always have a line. Yes, people are skipping it but I dont think its wise to count Starbucks out for good. By closing the underperforming stores, they can work on improving the existing ones. McDonalds did a similiar move by not opening new stores and improved existing ones with new products and new interiors. I think Starbucks would be a good longterm buy.
You guys do know the starbucks just closed a bunch of US stores, because they were loosing money big time and all the stores right next to each other backfired.

Starbucks is probably one of the ultimate worst investments you could make.

oh yea, and you'd be a total d-bag for opening another star****s
Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Thems some high hopes.
If you want a rare car, go find a low mileage (under 3k) 2000 cobra r mustang. Betcha in 25 yrs you'll fetch a pretty ****ing large amm.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
You guys do know the starbucks just closed a bunch of US stores, because they were loosing money big time and all the stores right next to each other backfired.

Starbucks is probably one of the ultimate worst investments you could make.

oh yea, and you'd be a total d-bag for opening another star****s
So you think Starbucks is going to fail?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM

Not as a whole, but I'm pretty sure I could argue they already failed individually at all these stores they had to shut down. There was no special reason beside loosing money and over saturation.

You could argue any remaining part of starbucks qualifies as not failing. But especially given the situation of someone who is going to open a store is our topic of discussion.................Yes all those stores failed, t

Last edited by slow04wrx; 07-15-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Not as a whole, but I'm pretty sure I could argue they already failed individually at all these stores they had to shut down. There was no special reason beside loosing money and over saturation.

You could argue any remaining part of starbucks qualifies as not failing. But especially given the situation of someone who is going to open a store is our topic of discussion.................Yes all those stores failed, t
Another way to look at it is this: if they would have kept those stores open they might have failed, but by closing those stores they probably will not. It seems to me to be a smart decision when only considering viability and the price of stock. The point is not number of stores - it's the stock price.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Another way to look at it is this: if they would have kept those stores open they might have failed, but by closing those stores they probably will not. It seems to me to be a smart decision when only considering viability and the price of stock. The point is not number of stores - it's the stock price.
Exactly.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
what about ING?

Quick Reply: BAIC Money Thread. Investments ?